FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mageisty

Freeze not guaranteed to cause Fingers of Frost to proc

I did a few raids after the realms came back up yesterday following the 5.2 patch. I immediately noticed that, against bosses or even some trash mobs (901 or higher), my elemental's freeze doesn't cause Fingers of Frost to proc. This is almost every time. I don't know about others but having that FoF out side of Frozen Orb was NICE!!!

Is just a result of Blizz's seemingly unfaltering nerfing of (frost) mages or do I need more Crit or mastery ?

** I'm hit capped **

Edited by Mageisty

Freeze will now only give you FoF when you successfully root a target. It will not give you FoF when a target is immune.

Blizzard increased the base chance for FoF to proc from other spells in order to compinsate for this change. Not to mention the 32% buff to Frostbolt damage.

I hadn't considered the other changes. So chance to root against an elite mob 91+ is obviously less than against lvl 90 non-elites. There still doesn't appear to be any way to increase the chance to root in a boss fight..... which brings us back to the other changes.

Ok. I'm done.

This change should make it so frost mages no longer accidentally pull threat on a boss pull. Their previously huge burst caused by the Freeze's FoF proc mechanic would cause this to happen fairly often if you were not careful.

I, for one, am happy for this change as I've been blowing my Mirror Image on every boss pull since Cata launch to avoid 9-manning every boss kill.

~Sage

This thread definitely answered my question. I do have another somewhat unrelated question about Armors though. It seems that my Frost Armor falls of randomly. I thought these were permanent, made to be like presences or aspects where they are just there, selected, and don't fall of unless spec change or armor change. Has anyone experienced their armor falling off randomly? This is especially frustrating when I notice my haste drops by over four percentage points in the middle of a fight.

This thread definitely answered my question. I do have another somewhat unrelated question about Armors though. It seems that my Frost Armor falls of randomly. I thought these were permanent, made to be like presences or aspects where they are just there, selected, and don't fall of unless spec change or armor change. Has anyone experienced their armor falling off randomly? This is especially frustrating when I notice my haste drops by over four percentage points in the middle of a fight.

I don't know if it's related, but while questing yesterday, I suddenly found my self having to reapply Frost Armor, because it no longer was there for some reason...

I don't know if it's related, but while questing yesterday, I suddenly found my self having to reapply Frost Armor, because it no longer was there for some reason...

This is odd, maybe something in the game is removing the aura unintentionally.

This sounds like something I'd be posting in the bugs forum on the community site had my account time not run out Q.Q

I'm confident Damien will bring it to the Dev's attention :>

~Sage

After a chat with a GM, I found the problem. Anytime you mess with talents (unlearn/relearn), the auras/armors will drop. I we discovered this after about three minutes of speculation, then I confirmed it. So just make sure if you change any talents to reapply your armors. I'm not sure if the same applies to glyphs, but worth checking out.

• Like 1