Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damien

Wizard Energy Twister Tal Rasha

14 posts in this topic

How important is apoc for the offhand ?

How about swapping to Tal+Firebird and Gale Force twisters for fire dmg? Swap explosive blast to Teleport Calamity for better mobility and to get arcane dmg back. Firebird pretty much doubles dmg output, that's before the +15% bonus from gale force. Swap to Spectral Blade, Thrown Blade for lightning dmg and put fragment of destiny in cube - even faster arcane generation. swap magic weapon to deflection, use Tal's Head,Chest,Belt,Gloves and offhand, firebird gloves,shoulders,boots and you have free bracers for ancient parthan defenders or even the one which doubles shields? Forgot the name but you know the one. Also firebird set bonus means you can drop unstable anomaly, maybe take Galvinising ward instead for double shield too? With all the extra dmg from firebird's bonus, you could drop convention of elements for halo of arlyse and swap force armour to ice armour for more defence too?

Don't really have the gear to be able to test any end game type stuff yet but what do you think please? Great guides by the way, love the site thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately even if other elemental variations on Energy Twister specs sound viable at a glance, there are several powerful factors reinforcing Raging Storm as the staple:

- When Raging Storm merges, the Twister duration and Twister Sword buff get reset, the Twister radius gets increased from 8 to 15 yards, and the base damage of Twister is increased to more than doubled per tick. Even if we assume the 4p bonus of Firebird is equivalent to doubling your damage (which is bold - when I was making a similar calculation about the Flashfire build with Wand of Woh, it came out as ~20% of the damage), it only now comes close to what Raging Storm offers by default.

- I already mentioned it, but it needs to be stressed - the increase of the radius is a huge, huge factor. Monsters have limits on how close they can stack even with the help of dedicated pulling party members. The 15 yard radius helps immensely.

- Gale Force's damage buffs falls into the so-called 'Damage Increased by Skills' category, a large bucket of buffs that are additive with each other. This greatly diminishes the value of the rune's damage buff.

- You lose out on some really nice damage buffs from Aughild, and the permanently available mobility of Illusory Boots vs. the cooldown based mobility from Teleport.

- Losing The Furnace in the cube to Fragment of Destiny is such a huge damage loss that it's out of the question, unfortunately.

Sorry if I sound too critical of your suggestions - it's really all based in the questionable balance of Energy Twister runes on Blizzard's part! :) Hopefully it will be addressed in the near future.

In the meantime, you can also refer to this very helpful thread on Energy Twister mechanics: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/42figq/energy_twister_mechanics_explained/

Seen a very familiar build on diablofans, with a slight change. Instead of aughild's power and search, it uses pauldrons of the skeleton king and ancient parthans. Both variations seem to have their benefits. I suppose easier to work on crafting the aughild's then trying to farm the perfect pauldrons/parthans. Been playing the build with the pauldrons and parthans for a few days now, and missile attacks definitely end up causing a lot damage/death. Will be trying aughild's I think.

The other problem I'm having is gettting resists high enough. Poison and the molten pools, seem to just drain the health so fast.

Thanks for the detailed response! Yeah to be honest I tried my fire variation and in addition to everything you've said above, I think I also massively underestimated the defensive value of the orb of infinite depths.. far too squishy without that! Guess you're better at this than me haha. Hopefully just a matter of time until I get the last few items I need and can try all of your builds, and will be trusting what you've said rather than trying (and failing!) to improve it!

Thanks again

Cheers! The Orb is indeed a huge part of your survivability - many Wizard builds include it by necessity, even if they don't remotely use Explosive Blast for damage. This one is no exception, and is not to be underestimated! :)

Hey ,)

Could you please link a d3planner? Would be very nice ,)

Agreed, I absolutely love the d3planner links you have on your videos, with their different setups for whats being done (GR/speed/bounties) I don't know why you don't include them in your icy guides! Your guides break things down to learn the ins and outs, and then the d3planner links are good for at a glance stuff once you have gone through all the guide info :) I assume it's just because icy doesn't want outside links... maybe they need to make their own then! :P

On 6/5/2016 at 10:04 PM, Guest Norek said:

Your guides break things down to learn the ins and outs, and then the d3planner links are good for at a glance stuff once you have gone through all the guide info :)

We're definitely working on improving our stat overview system! Stay tuned for 2.5 changes! :)

On 7/28/2016 at 9:07 AM, Chapoink said:

Deadset. Can you check out the build I made and make a video for it. A prism tal rasha channeling build got me to GR 82 with few ancients and no augments. Cheers mate. http://www.diablofans.com/builds/82009-chapoinks-gr90-solo-tal-rasha-ds-prism-twister

Hey dude, great to hear you're experimenting with your own builds and having success with it! I was wondering if Prism is worth the investment compared to getting some Arcane Power on Crit and running Magic Weapon Conduit though; this will free up an item slot from Zodiac, for potentially more damage (Convention of Elements?) I also notice you're running without Teleport, and even though Illusory help, isn't it a pain still?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0