FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vbalbert

Breakpoints

While the guides here are very nice, I notice that some guides are woefully lacking information on breakpoints. For example, for Shadow Priests and Arcane Mages, it tells you the stat priorities but says nothing about what the haste breakpoint for Priests are nor what numbers are needed for Mages. As a contrast, look at the explanation of breakpoints for Restoration Shaman which is very informative and quite extensive. I don't know enough of theory craft to provide my own input into these things, but if you're going to reforge into a stat, you need numbers to do the reforge.

http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=44

Breakpoints mean different things to difference classes. Some are important, some aren't, and some are said to be important when they really aren't. If you dive into the forums, you'll likely find some additional theorycrafting on the class of your choosing that might dive into these values a bit more. Until then, the above link should suffice.

Vlad and Damien are extremely busy keeping class guides up to date and can't necessarily zoom in on the VERY small details of each individual specialization. If you click on this link, you'll find that someone has cranked out the math for all of these DoTs for you. Google is your friend.

Nice find on the AMR stuff...I forgot the added thresholds. They've added the ability to reforge to a Haste breakpoint which is AWESOME.

Also, for you Affliction Warlocks, for fun, go to Everlasting Affliction, make yourself a Troll with Herbalism and add Dark Soul, Bloodlust, Tempus Repit, and Berserking and observe...

At 10,500 Haste rating, you 48 additional ticks to Agony!!

Yes, I realize that breakpoints mean different things to different classes. But Icy-Veins has been touted as one of the best sources of information on how to play a class yet it's sadly missing this information for some classes. My point here is not to say, "What are my breakpoints?" as I do know how to get this information from other places. I'm saying that these guides are woefully incomplete without this information. Why is it that some guides have all this information (check out Resto Shamans) but some do not (see Shadow Priests.)

Well, generally to mention as spesific haste brakepoint for shadow priests isnt really nessessary, as priest wanna stat haste as much as possible, even above the recommended haste caps.

For mages i really have no idea

• Like 1

It's because that information is non-critical to those classes. As a Shadow Priest you stack Haste above all other secondary stats. You don't need to know what the breakpoints are because you should be stacking haste period.

For arcane mages (the guide may or may not be correct in stat priority) Haste appears to be overtaking Mastery according to some theorycrafting. But with that said the haste breakpoints are really of no real consequence for an arcane mage.

• Like 1

We only give breakpoints when it matters. There is no breakpoint you should reach as an Arcane Mage, so we don't list any. That said, I can easily make a "breakpoint calculator" and publish it on the website, if you think it would have any interest.

• Like 2

These points about breakpoints not being necessary should be pointed out on the pages where this is so. I use ReforgeLite to reforge my gear and if I don't put in specific numbers the reforging may not bring the stat I want up to where I want it, so the numbers are important to me.

For shadow priest, especially after getting the 5.2 meta gem, there isn't a haste breakpoint anymore. You can continue stacking up haste to your heart's content, since it outweighs mastery and crit every time. But like areanu already said, if you really care about the haste breakpoints, check this out.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/haste

If you read further into zagams post there is another link by the same blogger who goes into breakpoints and why the do or don't matter.

TL;DR

In short, if you're really close to a breakpoint you can try to get past it, but otherwise ignore them. You should also treat very small differences between stat weights as being no difference at all.

Here is the link, it is an interesting read.

http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=71