FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet001

7.0.3 Guides

I was curious about the new guides for the class changes. They all seem to be written by the same person. In the past there was a lot more specific attention given to a class by a single author and it seems like having one person write all the guides leads to a glossing over of rotations, talent performance, gear dependencies, stat dependencies, etc.

How can one person have simultaneous mastery and a comprehensive understanding of every class in the game? Aside from a flippant, they're just that good response I don't think that it's probable.

Is this just an initial pass on classes or all the talent decisions considered authoritative?

38 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

I was curious about the new guides for the class changes. They all seem to be written by the same person. In the past there was a lot more specific attention given to a class by a single author and it seems like having one person write all the guides leads to a glossing over of rotations, talent performance, gear dependencies, stat dependencies, etc.

How can one person have simultaneous mastery and a comprehensive understanding of every class in the game? Aside from a flippant, they're just that good response I don't think that it's probable.

Is this just an initial pass on classes or all the talent decisions considered authoritative?

Hey.

I'm Vlad, I co-run Icy Veins with Damien, and I am currently the person writing the most guides (17 specs, not counting 1 Demon Hunter spec that is not yet released), and I can shed some light on your question.

First of all, with this patch, we have actually increased the number of writers a lot more than ever before. To compare, for Warlords of Draenor launch, I was writing 23 specs, and Damien was writing the remaining ones. Now, I am writing 17, Furty is writing 12, azortharion is writing 3, and wordup is writing 2 (+1 Demon Hunter spec). We will probably continue down this path in the future with more of my specs being done by others.

So, hopefully this explains the direction in which we are heading.

Second of all, each and every one of our specs has one or more "reviewers" (the person named at the top of the guide). These are either top raiders (often in the best ~10 guilds in the world) or respected theorycrafters (sometimes both). It is these people who provide us with the "expert knowledge" pertaining to that spec, from talent discussions/valuations, to rotation, to stats. The author of the guide (myself, Furty, wordup) really has more of an editor's role, taking the information from the expert and putting it into a form that is consistent across the site, easy to understand, etc.

So no, one person certainly cannot have simultaneous mastery of every class in the game (though of several does happen). And we've never assumed it :)

Let me know if that clears it up.

Hi. Thanks for the response. I guess I remember seeing a lot more "reviewed by" in 6.x.x and was paying more attention to the "written by". Though I don't doubt your prowess it seemed off to me. :)

Thanks for the site and for all the work you guys put into it.

• Like 1

Im confused do you have different writers for example class talents to the guy that writes the rotation, as ive used your talents on arcane mage, then look at rotation and it tells you to use Super nova in rotation, which was not the optimal choice then nether tempest which is another talent that wasn't the main recommendation?

it would be nice if you put a basic rotation of the talents you have actually recommended, Imtotally confused by the way the guide is  laid out.

Im not a serious raider by far but have used this site for years, just as a guide but your "legion" guid has totally lost me, thnx for the past help and im sure it will help in the future

5 minutes ago, johnnydangerous said:

Im confused do you have different writers for example class talents to the guy that writes the rotation, as ive used your talents on arcane mage, then look at rotation and it tells you to use Super nova in rotation, which was not the optimal choice then nether tempest which is another talent that wasn't the main recommendation?

it would be nice if you put a basic rotation of the talents you have actually recommended, Imtotally confused by the way the guide is  laid out.

Im not a serious raider by far but have used this site for years, just as a guide but your "legion" guid has totally lost me, thnx for the past help and im sure it will help in the future

The guide says, in the talents section, that Supernova is useful in certain situations, and in the rotation Action Priority List it tells you when to use Supernova (if you have it talented - this is made very clear). Can you explain how you find this confusing?