FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Shenrai

Prot paladins feel very worthless now?

Maybe it's just me but I feel squishier than a cloth user now. Compared to the prot warrior in my guild my health is dropping up and down like a volley ball. It's really annoying me and I want to quit tanking because of that. I certainly don't want to be as OP as it was in WOD but when the prot warrior is topping the healing meters and I feel like I can die at any moment it's pissing me off. Any others feel sort of this way or maybe I'm missing something completely?

<.>

Edited by Shenrai

Of course we can't top healing meters anymore, but survivability management is more difficult now. It may also seem to be a high dependence from Haste as it goes further. That said, tanking full HFC-Mythic after pre-patch, I feel like cooldowns just don't go off fast enough (not as fast as Holy Power generation before pre-patch).

I'll try using old Haste tank trinket from BRF and update my progress on it here.

I totally agree.  Since pre-patch dropped our survivability went waaaay down.  Which means if you have a "not so good" healer, you're gonna die.  I understand the need to rebalance to provide other classes the opportunity to step up but the whole purpose of a paladin is to be able to take punishment while staying alive as long as possible.

Sanaka, I agree with you that the CDs for some abilities just come at the wrong time.  I shouldn't have to use Lay on Hands on myself just to stay alive during trash!  Not to mention that ALL my gear is stacked in Mastery and now it looks like Versatility is the stat at the top of the list.  Ugh...

Right? Ive been spamming SotR like crazy and been trying to do everything to keep it up but I keep on getting smashed into the ground... Ive been having one hell of time trying to tank time walking

12 hours ago, Sanaka said:

Of course we can't top healing meters anymore, but survivability management is more difficult now. It may also seem to be a high dependence from Haste as it goes further. That said, tanking full HFC-Mythic after pre-patch, I feel like cooldowns just don't go off fast enough (not as fast as Holy Power generation before pre-patch).

I'll try using old Haste tank trinket from BRF and update my progress on it here.

I think stuff like this might be the answer unfortunately. It sucks, but it might need to be done. Playing around with some of those trinkets you thought you'd never use again just to make sure you're at a level of haste you're comfortable with. I definitely feel much safer on my other tanks though, so it's not just you OP. 

16 hours ago, Tom8974 said:

Right? Ive been spamming SotR like crazy and been trying to do everything to keep it up but I keep on getting smashed into the ground... Ive been having one hell of time trying to tank time walking

I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I'm new to tanking, but I would have figured I could handle heroic dungeons with my 690 iLVL, and even the beginning raids would be doable for me (in this case using extra stats to make up for lack of experience). I know I'm not good yet, but DAMN it has felt bad doing this time walking stuff and getting utterly demolished.

I think its more of a active type of playstyle now. Before we could just HotR in concecrate with 30 mobs on us and be fine. I think that's a little too powerful, but they nerfed it down too fast. Like one of the previous posters said, it WAS mastery, now its versa?

To clarify a bit more i didnt have to do much in WoD to do my part, healers just had to do theirs, now i have to be MUCH more proactive and aware of using abilities for the survivability they give. For example, in WoD i used SotR slams for agro, not dmg reduc component 90-95% of the time, now, you got to space it out to make best use of the damage reduction. Add in that HotR is replaced with BH (its the go-to talent choice atm, so while icyveins says to take it, not all may take it) you have to space out the hammers a little bit with SotR slams to get maximum mitigation benefits. I've tanked a boss in the new violet hold and barely taken a scratch, then had 4 trash questing mobs on me and got me to half health, its incredibly frustrating yes but i think we'll be fine in the end with raid gear, a lot more versa as we get to make gear, gem, enchant choices and learn to space out SotR and BH's a bit more to cut down on the damage.

Completely agree. Paladins have been stripped overall and are now much less fun to play.

I used to use the Seraphim rotation as this felt interesting to play as you had to actively manage your holy power to get the overlaps between Seraphim and SotR. It gave good survivability - possibly too much ;)

Rather than just reduce the survivablility to bring us inline with others they have have also removed the management side of the game giving us a lot less options to handle active mitigation and what we do have seems way underpowered.

Perhaps things will improve with gear and artifact weapon (and adjusting to versa rather than haste - although we still need plenty of the latter) but it doesn't look like it's going to have too much of an impact.

I have not had any problems with mine, other than yes, they do feel squishier.  However, that said, they gave us an instant 25% missing health heal in preparation, I would assume.  Not that it does much for mitigation, but its there.  They at least knew what they were doing in that specific sense. 

Heroic Archi and Mannoroth went down on our one night a week guild raid after the nerf.  I didn't notice any major problems with the rotation, or feel 'bored,' really.  keep up my spinning hammer, Shield when needed, use my free heal around 50% or lower... 

Seraphim is great for livening up the rotation, even if it eats out SOTR charges, youve still got one left, along with a boatload of haste/vers/etc

Uncommon Patron

Yes I also agree that the spec is more challenging to play. I notice that my health is going up and down sporadically and that mitigating damage is alot more difficult. I feel like at any moment I could be 1 shot.

All tanks are a bit squishier. That reflects a shift in philosophy with Blizz and is working as intended. I'm not having any real problems; we're just not on god mode anymore.

I also tank on a DK and Bear, and don't find my pally to be lacking by comparison. If anything, I'm enjoying my pally more.

Warriors are OP atm with Ignore Pain, but most expect that to be nerfed in the near future.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, ForumWarrior said:

Discussing current balance is quite worthless since it will change at 110. But nontheless prot pallys now seem really boring not mentioning lame.

I disagree entirely.

I've mained a Blood DK since WoLK and also bear tank a bit, but I am very close to deciding to main my prot pally for Legion. He's certainly my favorite toon to log atm, the one I most look forward to playing. I remember the Preach video from Alpha/Beta where he fussed about lack of variety in pally CDs, but I feel my pally has more specific tools for different situations than any of my other tanks. Blessing of Spellwarding is not Final Stand is not Ardent Defender is not Lay on Hands. Choosing which to use in the heat of battle and fog of war has real consequences, because using one locks us out of another and using one on the healer means it may be on CD when we want it for ourselves. If my health is dropping fast do I bubble for a respite or use LoH? Not to mention all the ways we can support our co-tank and/or healers. Strategically timing LotP and SotR is also satisfying. Offensively I have more ranged attacks on my pally than either of my other tanks and do at least as much overall DPS (more than my bear, about even with my DK). I didn't care much for Blessed Hammer when I first used it, but it has grown on me. Not just the damage but the utility. I like using it to drag a pack of adds behind me when I'm chain-pulling, because it continues to agro stuff behind me as I run.

I enjoy tanking on my bear and DK, but my favorite atm is my Protection Paladin.

I've been playing a Bear now and find it a lot more sturdy and fun than my protection paladin, Where I feel like a tank in cloth armor now ready to be one shot at any moment, My bear feels like a rock

On 8/15/2016 at 1:17 AM, Shenrai said:

I've been playing a Bear now and find it a lot more sturdy and fun than my protection paladin, Where I feel like a tank in cloth armor now ready to be one shot at any moment, My bear feels like a rock

you might feel like a rock, but in Legion with my poor ilevel 820 I can tan a heroic boss without a healer and keep up a dps also with heals for at least 2 minutes.

can your bear do that? don't think so... just because you don't know how to play a prot pally, it doesn't mean it's crap. it definitely has some of the best tools a tank can have, you just require skill and not just 3 button smash bear tank

Well my proc pally I am having a ball with. The heals are amazing the dps is crazy. Also I find it is easier to control the boss and mobs. I noticed alot of guys and gals are feeling squishy make sure you have the talents bastion of light, hand of the protector and rightous protector. when your hand of the protector is on cool down hit shield of the rightous and it takes a chunck off the cool down quit a bit rember it will charge bak up and if you need more charges of your shield hit bastion of light 3 more charges asap.And thats each time you hit shield not just once. It works very well for me. I hope it helps. Well if anybody got some cool ideas I wanna here them hit me up in game fishpoop#1190 curse id bipolarfish.

Just to stop things descending into a slanging match, things have changed a lot. All the tanks are now equally balanced and can all very easily tank the current content. Every tank will have a spot in the raids and will be able to fulfill the necessary role. With how affixes will work in M+, different tanks will be better in different affix combinations. 

• Like 1