FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nobleshield

Thinking of dusting off one of my tanks, but which?

I raid casually now in a 10m that's working on Council (normal), having quit for several months and then switched to play a Warlock after tanking though the end of Wrath and all of Cata on a Paladin and a Warrior; at MoP launch the apparent difficulty of T14 destroyed the friend's guild I came back to for Mists (we never were able to get past Stone Guards, except one time) and killed any desire I had to be a tank again because it was so humiliating.

However my guild has had attendance and reliability issues, especially in regards to tanks, and my old guildmates (this is a different guild than the one that broke up in T14; I raided in this guild during Firelands and Dragon Soul and we were 5/7H in Firelands and 5/8H in Dragon Soul, albeit post-nerf) started to ask me to dust off the shield since they know I'm reliable and I used to be good at it.

Now here's my dilemma:

I have my Prot Warrior at 90 and in mostly 463 heroic gear (stopped playing him in October '12). I could easily gear him up if I really put the effort in, but the playstyle changes never felt right, I never cared too much for Arms or Fury DPS, IMO I have way too many keybinds (I have like 30+ keybinds for things that are situationally useful like Disarm or Spell Reflect, plus all the damn banners) and from what I've been reading Warriors are in a kind of bad place right now overall; while still viable they're evidently not as good as the other tanks right now either on the mitigation side or the DPS side.

My Prot Paladin is still 85 and I very briefly dusted him off in Pandaria but didn't do much, so it would take a bit of time to gear him up (I'm not under any kind of deadline though). However, just looking at the list of abilities it seems the Paladin has a ton less (not counting the Hand spells which I would bind to my Razer Naga anyways), it feels smoother and less awkward with their active mitigation, they have a ton of cooldowns and abilities and they seem to be in a really good place right now, probably the strongest of the tanks. I'm not sure how Ret is but it's always middle of the pack, and from what I'm reading ToT is all 2-tank fights anyways except the ones the Paladin could cheese. Also I'm really intrigued by the Paladin's new gearing strategy of Haste/Mastery.

Our other tank is a Guardian Druid; I'm not quite sure of his gearing since I've never tried a Druid but I think he's going heavy crit and he's a beast on DPS meters (he always was; in Dragon Soul he'd be like Top 5 DPS as a tank).

With that in mind, it's really feeling like the Paladin would be the better choice overall, from a pure min/max standpoint. On the other hand, I've played my Warrior more often in the past, but I really couldn't wrap my head around the active mitigation and I think that's also part of why T14 was so morale-crushing for me.

I know that nobody can make the choice for me, but what have been your experiences running with both Warrior and/or Paladin tanks? If you could absolutely choose one for your second tank, which would you choose and why? I'm heavily leaning towards the Paladin right now, just because it seems like the Prot mechanics gel into place while the Warrior mechanics feel a bit contrived and almost like there's too much.

Bears are solid tanks and provide great DPS particularly on AoE pulls, but Haste-build Paladins are capable of doing even higher DPS and also have insane self-healing to boot.

Bears are solid tanks and provide great DPS particularly on AoE pulls, but Haste-build Paladins are capable of doing even higher DPS and also have insane self-healing to boot.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking the Paladin over the Warrior. Paladin/Druid has been the "tag team champions" of tanking for as far back as I can remember.

Paladins are the most OP tank in the game right now. Paladins make 2 tank fights 1 tank fights and make 3 heal fights 2 heal fights. They have mechanics that enable them to provide asinine amounts of healing, damage, and mitigation, and this was after their nerfing. If you gotta pick one, pick the Paladin. Anything other tanks can do, a Paladin can do better.

• Like 1

Paladins are the most OP tank in the game right now. Paladins make 2 tank fights 1 tank fights and make 3 heal fights 2 heal fights. They have mechanics that enable them to provide asinine amounts of healing, damage, and mitigation, and this was after their nerfing. If you gotta pick one, pick the Paladin. Anything other tanks can do, a Paladin can do better.

Think that settles it then. OP + Not as clunky = Win