FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Davd

New to rogue

With the release of Legion I have decided to do two things I previously have not in my time playing WoW.

1. Main a rogue

2. Push PvE content

So as a complete noob to the class I have successfully leveled my rogue to 110 and am currently farming heroics with my guild. I have a general understanding of my spec (Outlaw) and consider myself a competent player but something seems off, I've never downloaded a DPS addon but since I have I've noticed my DPS seems quite low compared to others and I'm not sure why. Are there any addons that can help me really learn my rotation to better train myself or any tips/advice you veteran rogues have that could be beneficial? Having a blast with my new rogue so far and I know I need more practice but any help is appreciated.

First of all, welcome to our den! Hope you have a good time with us. =)

Second, Rogue in general have some stuff to track, so it'd be good that you had an addon to follow the buffs/debuffs. It can be a WA string (I should be working on those, but I'm lazy as hell... >->), or a suite like SliceAdmiral.

Another thing is that it's a bit hard to tell where you're doing wrong (or even if you're doing wrong at all - and the reason may be any other) since we don't know your rotation, getting some logs would be highly beneficial - we'd be able to pinpoint what're you missing.

I haven't played Outlaw yet with the Artifact, so I don't know exactly how it influentiates over the combat priority. One thing you should keep an eye is the Roll the Bones buff. Currently, 2 buffs setup is what you want (optimal in reality would be all 6 buffs, but eh). While that is true, you should have True Bearing active during Adrenaline Rush, where it'll prove truly efficient. On other situations, it's not so good.

Rule of thumb is to reroll the dies until you get 2 buffs.

Rest assured, the guidelines over IV's Outlaw rotation are fairly good for a start.

Edited by lipsinch
Clarification

As Lip said, welcome!

Logs are always going to be helpful, but for the time being I'd strongly recommend downloading an addon like Weakauras. It will allow you to track all kinds of different things, but specifically it will help you keep an eye on the handful of buffs and debuffs that Outlaw requires.

If you're not comfortable with making Weakauras for yourself, you can keep an eye on here and I'll hopefully have mine posted in a thread by this evening

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys! I should have read the sticky on asking for help, I'll post a combat log soon, but I can see that just having a bit of practice with the class im starting to improve quite a bit.

Edited by Davd

Yeah that will happen for sure. Getting the feel for the class is very important - learning your hotkeys, getting openers down to muscle memory, and generally just getting comfortable to the point that you don't really have to think about what you're doing so you can focus more on what's going on around you

My post with Weakauras is up now, if you want to have a look. It will help you track everything that you need to help you make decisions about what to do and when, and hopefully streamline stuff a little more than you'll get with the default UI

Welcome to the greatest class ever.

Seems obvious to many I'm sure, but some quick tips keeps all your buffs (poisons, slice and dice if you have it, etc) and debuffs (garrote, rupture, etc) active, make sure you are in ideal positioning, sapping the right npcs, focusing the right target, and lastly have a ridiculous amount of fun!