FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Case

Assn Rogue tips for Il'gynoth?

With the release of Emerald Nightmare the guild has been checking out the bosses in Normal to get a feel for them and I find I'm performing abysmally on the  Il'gynoth encounter. Before I get into details about the encounter let me preface by saying I almost always perform at a decently high level (not to the extent that some of you do of course). I've never been criticized for my DPS, usually quite the opposite. I'm definitely not teh bestest ever! But I'm good. Or so I thought until we hit it Il'gynoth and my performance just tanked.

Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Vayde/simple

I don't have any logs unfortunately as the something was wrong with our guilds addon, but I don't think we handle the fight much different than most. My issue is between the short lived adds, and all the movement there are significant portions of the fight that I'm not doing any damage to anything. The general priority of targets was Corrupters>Deathglares>Dreadworms>Nightmares. Phase 1 is generally ok as most of the adds spawn relatively close. But if I'm sitting on a deathglare and a corrupter pops, the switch kills my dps. Usually I have still have a quite a bit of time on my Rup so I don't have to re-apply but the time it takes to get to a corruptor is just brutal (even with sprint and ShadowS). Then once the corrupter dies it's back to the deathglare. More travel time. If all the tentacles are down then I'll move onto Nightmare but I generally only have enough time to build and drop a rupture before I have to swap off. The slimes aren't much better. Once we bunch them up I can usually get a few FOKs off but the nightmare explosions always targets the area right at the base of the eye where they all are so i need to get out in pretty short order.

Once in the tree, it's easy mode but I definitely feel like I'm not pulling my weight in the overall encounter. I went from usually being in the top 5 dps to the bottom 3 for this specific encounter. Just for a frame of reference on Ursoc I ended the fight at 212k (Sim'ed at 220), where as on Il'gynoth I'm doing ~145K, and I'm in significantly better gear now than was on the first 3. Of course it's going to drop with the nature of this specific fight but I definitely feel like somethings wrong to have it plummet like that. I could definitely use my shorter timed DPS cool downs a little more liberally (Exsag and Kings), I have a tendency to hold on to them too long in preparation for Phase 2. 

This was the first raid I've done in quite a while so I'm rusty... but I'm not THAT rusty. Or maybe I am? 

I'm not a big Rogue player and will leave the tips to Carrn, but I do want to say a few things:

I imagine you're struggling with DPS simply because the fight is very bad for Assassination. The top assassination rank in the world currently for Heroic Heart is 379th out of all rogue specs. The higher 378 people all play Outlaw.

I know it's not exactly helpful tips, but something to keep in mind

As Blainie pointed, Asn isn't suited for AoE situations.

If you wanna play as Sin there, I suggest you positioning better to take care of the high priority adds and leave the bubbles for the others who can do good AoE (you can get in there too, the damage the explosion deal with Feint is rather negligible on Normal). Also, if you're taking long to reposition yourself, memorize the timers so you can start moving somewhat before the add spawns (since they got fixed spawns). And obviously, save your CDs for inside. You'll be the most damaging person inside tree.

Else, go Otl there (as far as I hate to say).

I was afraid "go Outlaw" was going to be one of the responses. Heh. I'll have to start building up some AP for the Dreadblades (wanted to hit that 3rd gold trait on the daggers first). I knew the fight felt clunky to me as Assassination, but didn't want to discount the possibility that it was me doing something very very wrong. And without me providing logs I get that maybe there still is, but it's reassuring to see that it's just not me struggling.

For the nightmare explosions I actually did start Feinting to stay in, but at that point it felt like trying to bail out a sinking boat with a thimble.

Just now, Case said:

I was afraid "go Outlaw" was going to be one of the responses. Heh. I'll have to start building up some AP for the Dreadblades (wanted to hit that 3rd gold trait on the daggers first). I knew the fight felt clunky to me as Assassination, but didn't want to discount the possibility that it was me doing something very very wrong. And without me providing logs I get that maybe there still is, but it's reassuring to see that it's just not me struggling.

For the nightmare explosions I actually did start Feinting to stay in, but at that point it felt like trying to bail out a sinking boat with a thimble.

Yeah "go Outlaw" is really the only thing of benefit haha. You can always stick on 1 target, and if you have to swap make sure you have Exsang ready to make sure your Rupture smashes that target before everyone else kills it.

That's really all there is; Sin has great cleave, but not on adds that die quickly