FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Percebal

Protection warrior DPS

Hi to everybody,

I have been a tank since litch, and for the past three weeks I'm having some issues with my raid partners, about my DPS. They claim that other warrior tanks, double my dps, in average my DPS is 50-60K.

At the beginning didn't bother me, I'm a tank I have to focus in hreat and survivability, and I'm quiet good at it. But I want to know if it is possible for a warrior tank to be over 100k DPS, without sacrificing gear or stats.

My character is: http://eu.battle.net/wow/es/character/tyrande/Alohe/simple

We are not a very skillfull group (Only a few player) due to a high rotation and casual players.

Can you give some advice?

Thanks in advance!

TBH is probably more to do with how you play and what content you're doing than how your toons set up, so do you have any logs? the majority of of a tnaks DPS will be based on how much vengeance they have and in 10 mans you don't get that much soin compariosn to a 25HC prot warrior i wouldn't be surprised if they are doing well in excess of 100k, but 10 mans just don't get those levels of vengeance.

However as a consequence 10 mans don't quite need as much EHP as 25s, which means that you can stack more mastery, which if you're using shield block effectively will be a DPS gain, it will make you slightly more susceptable to magic damage but won't necassarily be a survivability loss, more so if you use the eternal meta gem.

Hard capping hit and expertise is going going to be both slight DPS and survivability boost

As long as your threat and damage mitigation are good its not too much to worry about. As Tengenstein says its perhaps your choice of attacks and prioritys, also glyphs. Myself I have glyphed hold the line [when you parry your next revenge hits 50% harder] and shield block [shield slam hits 50% harder when shield block is active]. These could attribute to that.

Also it depends when/what you use in terms of mitigation, shield block you still take damage therefore increasing your shield slam and also building vengence. But if you use shield barrier more often which absorbs it doesn't contribute to vengence.

Any who if your happy with your threat and mitigation who cares the DPS should be doing the job there role calls for!!

Happy wow'ing :D

Vegeance stacks off the unmitigated damage amount, before armour, defensive stance, or abosrbs, etc. are taken into account. Whether you use shield block or shield barrier or just take a hit to the face you'll get the same amount of vengeance from it.

There are a couple of things I'm seeing right away that you can improve on. First and foremost is the simple fact that you do not need nearly the HP that you have. You have more health, unbuffed, than I do as a heroic 25m 540 ilvl prot warrior. Go stack mastery! Second is that I'm seeing some parry/stam gems. Don't gem parry- ever! Strength gives nearly 1:1 parry. Put a strength/stam or strength/mastery gem in. Your gemming scheme should be as follows: mastery in yellow slots, strength/mastery in red slots, and mastery/stam in blue slots. If you want more discussion about strength/mastery over parry/mastery gems, feel free to read my guide. It will also have more of a discussion on the use of your toolkit to further your tanking. ()

*As a side note, I looked at your page a bit more and you have Heroic Jin'rohk down. I'm not sure if you're working on Heroic Horridon yet, but you will need pretty heavy stamina for that last phase. If you are working on Horridon, keep your gems. If you are not, change to mastery.

I see that you have Hold the Line and Heavy Repercussions. Good. I'd highly recommend that you drop Unending Rage and pick up Incite instead. Those three free Heroic Strikes go a long way. Put Unending Rage back in over Heavy Repercussions on fights where' you're not often using SBlk (i.e. Tortos, Horridon, and Perhaps Ji-kun, definitely on DA if you're tanking Massive(s)).

With a 519 ilvl, you should be able to reach that 15% expertise hardcap pretty easily. Do it. It's essential. It is not a small increase in survivability, it is massive.

Your talents look fine.

Without logs, the best I can do is give you a basic idea of damage output and threat generation. Unlike other tanks, warriors have a large number of DPS CDs available for use as a tank. Timing them is essential. Don't waste your CDs when you have no vengeance. Hold off on using them for 5 or so seconds after taunting and then pop them simultaneously. Using Heavy Repercussions properly is a large part of your damage, as is the use of Berserker Rage. Always make sure to use Bloodbath and Dragon Roar together and get in a few good HR Shield Slams in during the duration of BB. If you can swing it, use Demoralizing Shout at the same time as Bloodbath and Dragon Roar and get those Incite Heroic Strikes in during Bloodbath for greater effect. Be careful of this, though. Demoralizing Shout is a SURVIVAL cooldown first and foremost. Don't let yourself die because you want to stroke your epeen. Before taunting off your fellow tank, you can also use Intervene or Safeguard to buffer your Vengeance a bit. You can also do this with Vigilance, but using such a good CD just to get more damage is harmful to your raid. It is better used to save someone's life.

Get some logs if you can, but if not, I hope this has been helpful.

• Like 1

Thank's for helping me.

It's been very instructive, I will make the changes you suggest. I'll try to improve my skills using offensive CD, because I have always focused on threat and survival. Next week I'll back on business, so I can put in practice what I learn here.