FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Parttimebuster

Understanding weights

I have been playing mage since last 2 expansions, but this is my first time doing Fire during a raid. My question is how do I understand the weights. 

Currently my stats are:

Crit: 52%

Haste 14%

Mastery 12%

Vers: 4%

My feeling is whereas the going rate (so I am told that is) no crit is to high and that you need to stack it like bricks. However it seems semi counter intuitive to have a low Haste, a low mastery, and a low Vers. Not that it is a top stat or anything - and I know the prefered stats in order of importance. But seems like a lot of gear SHOULD be good because of the major upgrade in mastery or haste... but I am following directions and dumping things for Crit. 

I am not big on Sim craft, mainly because I dont really understand it that much (at this point). But, I just would like... I don't know... I number to hit or a cap to try to achive. It feels like, yes 50%+ is good for crit. But what do I do from there?

Due to Pyretic Incantation you have to keep stacking crit. The more crit you have the less is the chance to lose you 5 stacks of it. The cap should be ~95% :P

Haste is your second stat, because you cast faster and that leads to more Pyros! In AoE situations mastery comes before haste, but in the current raid content and the fact that fire mages in general aren't good at AoE atm, you shouldn't focus on mastery.

To have exact values you should really start to sim yourself. Maybe this is a good starting point for you :

Greetings!

Haste is actually not your second stat.  Mastery would be.  Haste is last on the totem poll.  Even the guide says that.  Haste, stat weight wise, is higher than mastery, but mastery is better overall due to cleave.  If we were talking purely single target, Haste pulls ahead.  But only slightly.

I prioritize Crit over everything.  The only time I don't prioritize Crit over say Int is if I gain 200 int and only lose like 50~100 crit.  If you start dropping int your overall damage will drop so having all of the crit in the world you would still be capped.  I am currently staying around 57% crit.  I want more, but it's hard to find pieces that don't drop 500~800 crit.  Everything is a downgrade.

If a piece has 50 crit and a piece 150 to 200 more mastery on it, I would probably grab the crit over the mastery.  Mastery is a major side stat when compared to crit.  I was at 59% crit, dropped it down some to gain 300 int on some pants.  It was like a 15 or so ilvl difference.  Now down to 57%. 

General rule of thumb, always go for crit, even if the item is 10 ilvls difference.  If you drop below 55% crit, you're going to be hurting for damage period.

Edited by Thazi

Haste is actually not your second stat.  Mastery would be.  Haste is last on the totem poll.  Even the guide says that.  Haste, stat weight wise, is higher than mastery, but mastery is better overall due to cleave.  If we were talking purely single target, Haste pulls ahead.  But only slightly.

So, basically you want gear with high Crit, accompanied with Mastery or Haste.

I want more, but it's hard to find pieces that don't drop 500~800 crit.  Everything is a downgrade.

I know what you mean. Kind of sad to drop in itemlevel, for dealing more dmg.

Edited by Lily