FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Andell

Frost Legendary Helmet

I happened to get Perseverance of the Ebon Martyr today, the legendary that makes enemies affected by remorseless winter take 40% more damage from howling blast. Is there any change in rotation I should do for this, or should I ignore the effect and use the helm as a stat stick? Wondering for both single target and AoE. 

Edited by Andell

For anyone who looked at this and was wondering, this same question was answered in the master thread. 

demonardvark said:

"Frankly all I would say is your aoe trash rotation would change. So just as you said remorseless winter, howling blast spam, that will actually keep up frozen pulse quite nice, you will just lack icy talons stacks which isn't terrible. You may find this has decent leg room for things like mythic + dungeons. However in current known raid environment I would more or less ignore it and just enjoy the ilvl boost and the stat gain. I mean on trash pulls go crazy but for bosses it really has no good current use in current content."

3 hours ago, Andell said:

For anyone who looked at this and was wondering, this same question was answered in the master thread. 

demonardvark said:

"Frankly all I would say is your aoe trash rotation would change. So just as you said remorseless winter, howling blast spam, that will actually keep up frozen pulse quite nice, you will just lack icy talons stacks which isn't terrible. You may find this has decent leg room for things like mythic + dungeons. However in current known raid environment I would more or less ignore it and just enjoy the ilvl boost and the stat gain. I mean on trash pulls go crazy but for bosses it really has no good current use in current content."

Slight amendment to that.

It will need testing however, for pure single target when you get a rime proc you may want to then cast RW then howling blast. This way your howling blast is super powered. RW isn't really favored that much for single target as that rune could have been obliterate food, but the rather large buff to howling blast could make it worth while. It would require some heavy simming. So, it makes the rotation a little bit more complex and its a moderate dps gain but it is a dps gain. So you can get more out of the helmet then just letting it sit. So i think only using RW on rime proc for single target is the best way to go. Will it lead to more dps then just ignoring it and focusing on obliterate? not 100%, would have to test it :)

so you can play with it a bit more if you want to get a more complex rotation. 

Doing ugly math it may be worth it if it crits. People have seen 800k howling blast crits, so buffed that would be over a million damage in one hit (1,120,000) by my count. So, the extra 320k plus the damage from RW, certainly seems to be worth waiting for one more rune. 

Is there any chance that this helmet will make Gathering Storm a viable talent option?  I've been testing things out since I got this helmet, and it seems a few extra seconds on Remorseless could yield another buffed up Rime'd HB.  That said, I know the value of Frostscythe for AoE and RA for single target is massive.

Personally, I have tested various rotations and talent variations but I would advise that you stick as closely as possible to the optimum builds.

Speccing out of RA would have to be very well supported by data to be recommended, and thus far it isn't.. I run regularly with FSy and it comes in about 10% lower than RA single target but as is said elsewhere, having the Toravon's Bindings Legendary may be largely responsible for keeping it within reach, you may find a far bigger drop without the second legendary. (I'm also near 40% mastery)

Even with buffed Frost DMG through this route, Gathering Storm is too weak to be viable as a replacement for AoE builds with FSy and too weak on single target to replace RA.

2 hours ago, Browed said:

Personally, I have tested various rotations and talent variations but I would advise that you stick as closely as possible to the optimum builds.

Speccing out of RA would have to be very well supported by data to be recommended, and thus far it isn't.. I run regularly with FSy and it comes in about 10% lower than RA single target but as is said elsewhere, having the Toravon's Bindings Legendary may be largely responsible for keeping it within reach, you may find a far bigger drop without the second legendary. (I'm also near 40% mastery)

Even with buffed Frost DMG through this route, Gathering Storm is too weak to be viable as a replacement for AoE builds with FSy and too weak on single target to replace RA.

^This

Now, I've found the helm to actually be pretty awesome with all aspects of OBRA. So for single target I delay Rime proc a bit to squeeze in a RW first for helm proc, and those HB crits are beautiful 700-800k for me atm. Then I've honestly heavily augment my aoe rotation. Its just pop RW and spam howling blast. This procs frozen pulse and does tremendous cleave damage, once RW is down i typically spam frost strike for talons buff and rinse and repeat. So, while the legendary was deemed a minor dps gain, in real play I (personally) have fallen in love with it really :D

Now, as far as a Gathering Storm build, a lot of single players found it as well as major theorcrafting groups like archerus are playing with it and as Browed said its too weak atm. However, atypically Frost inevitably descends into some version of Masterfrost gameplay. Now, with the recent buffs it looks like this won't happen for awhile past 7.2 even (if it does). If we reach that point Gathering storm will become the number one rotation (if). So there is long term potential but not current. 

FYI, there is a thread on both the PTR forum and the mmo-c forum right now discussing how this helmet doesn't work on raid/dungeon bosses (or probably anything CC immune). The helm proc requires them to get the debuff that slows, not just be taking damage. To me this seems like a textbook case simple oversight. Sephuz is specifically designed as the cc proc'ing legendary, I really doubt the helm was meant to be another, for such a small gain anyway.

Trying to get attention straight to the devs via Twitter might be called for.

17 hours ago, Melisan said:

FYI, there is a thread on both the PTR forum and the mmo-c forum right now discussing how this helmet doesn't work on raid/dungeon bosses (or probably anything CC immune). The helm proc requires them to get the debuff that slows, not just be taking damage. To me this seems like a textbook case simple oversight. Sephuz is specifically designed as the cc proc'ing legendary, I really doubt the helm was meant to be another, for such a small gain anyway.

Trying to get attention straight to the devs via Twitter might be called for.

It does work on some of them interestingly enough, I was composing a list but its really random. The other thing too is as long as there is some trash within cleave range you can get it to work, so the only pure single target fight on mythic is ursoc, all the rest have trash or MC's you can cleave off of, so you can get it to work very well, it just takes some fandangling (do note the bonus damage is on trash but burning trash is paramount in several of the fights)

Also, it did proc purely off a couple bosses, can't remember which off the top but i was surprised to find it effected some.