FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aegis

Prot Paladin logs - normal EN - comments/constructive feedback welcome

Hi, guys. Was messing around on my prot paladin in normal EN, wanted to get a second opinion on my performance - i thought I did pretty decently, fights felt very smooth, really zero problems, even with double debuffs on ursoc and solo tanking elerethe all through second platform.

The reason i'm asking for feedback is because this is my alt, but i'm thinking of increasing it's priority, mainly due to the way blood DKs perform in higher tiers of content - i'm very concerned about the amount of damage i'm taking which i can't reduce.

Here's my logs for the run, please ignore the later entries, our healer forgot to turn off logging for the heroic dungeons we spammed after =)
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7T2KxtzVrQWpBF6v#fight=22

This is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/saurfang/Aegiself/advanced

Hi there, Aegis!

There are a few things that stand out to me, but that may all have a possible explanation. To begin to address your concerns about taking excess damage, some of the things I can bring up are; stat itemization and talent choices. In addition, there may be tweaks needing to be done to your artifact traits. But I do not know what your current progress is on that.

As far as itemization goes; I believe a bit more emphasis on Versatility will significantly help your cause. Haste is a great stat to have, to bee sure. But versatility is king when it comes to damage reduction. Consider trying to adjust your gear and stats to favor versatility (and haste, if possible) and see how that works for you.

The talents aren't terrible. But some, such as First Avenger, are more for AoE-DPS/Dungeon-type situations. Final Stand is also pretty awesome, but the long cooldown on Divine Shield makes it very unappealing in most cases. Hand of the Protector and Knight Templar are pretty neat for survival. But Hand of the Protector is vastly superior, in my opinion. Mainly because the current Protection Paladin play-style expects Paladins to dip from time to time and compensate with a Consecrated Hand of the Protector. Lastly, Last Defender is excellent if there is a lot of AoE adds to deal with, so in fights like the Heart, it is great. But in most cases, Righteous Protector is an amazing ability that can bring great survival through the resetting of your Shield of the Righteous charges.

I would provide more input if I knew what your current Artifact progression was, but Icy-Veins here has a great step-by-step of the traits you should pursue and in what order. Consider checking that out just to make sure!

Edited by Ferathir

18 minutes ago, Ferathir said:

Hi there, Aegis!

There are a few things that stand out to me, but that may all have a possible explanation. To begin to address your concerns about taking excess damage, some of the things I can bring up are; stat itemization and talent choices. In addition, there may be tweaks needing to be done to your artifact traits. But I do not know what your current progress is on that.

As far as itemization goes; I believe a bit more emphasis on Versatility will significantly help your cause. Haste is a great stat to have, to bee sure. But versatility is king when it comes to damage reduction. Consider trying to adjust your gear and stats to favor versatility (and haste, if possible) and see how that works for you.

The talents aren't terrible. But some, such as First Avenger, are more for AoE-DPS/Dungeon-type situations. Final Stand is also pretty awesome, but the long cooldown on Divine Shield makes it very unappealing in most cases. Hand of the Protector and Knight Templar are pretty neat for survival. But Hand of the Protector is vastly superior, in my opinion. Mainly because the current Protection Paladin play-style expects Paladins to dip from time to time and compensate with a Consecrated Hand of the Protector. Lastly, Last Defender is excellent if there is a lot of AoE adds to deal with, so in fights like the Heart, it is great. But in most cases, Righteous Protector is an amazing ability that can bring great survival through the resetting of your Shield of the Righteous charges.

I would provide more input if I knew what your current Artifact progression was, but Icy-Veins here has a great step-by-step of the traits you should pursue and in what order. Consider checking that out just to make sure!

Ah. I'm in my dungeon spec right now. For raids I changed some talents - also, I swap talents on a per-boss basis. Will try out light of the protector, been defaulting to final stand because it just seems so good. For the raid I was running righteous protector the whole way, I believe. 

For first avenger, doesn't it give more damage smoothening due to the shield from your artifact weap ? 

Yeah, I tried dropping haste, but it seriously feels like I'm playing in mud - I tried versa stacking in mythic+, but it felt much more spiky than a haste build. . . Maybe with more versa. . . My gear also has way too much Crit on it, but that's just a function of rng =(

And talking about excess damage that was with reference to my dk. Ehrps almost 20% more than my warrior co-tank in most fights on heroic EN. My paladin seems to be performing much better, when I compare ehrps logs with my dk at the same level of content. 

I know ehrps isn't the only metric, but right now it seems to be the best indicator I have. 

Edited by Aegis