FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mogwe

DPS Help Fire Fire

Hey all

So I thought I was doing pretty well. I raid casually in a guild that's cleared heroic EN and only raids once a week, so nothing too crazy. But, I thought I was doing pretty well on DPS and it turns out I'm actually kind of terrible, haha. Well, according to logs. I general parse at 50% or less. Was wondering if you guys could help me.

Here's my armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Shadowsong/Mogwe/simple

And some logs from a couple heroic fights:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DCVxyvfYWA2qJ7Qm#fight=11&type=damage-done

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kYhvwaC4P3T9B1Db#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=34

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kYhvwaC4P3T9B1Db#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=34

Help me wise mages!

Looking over the logs very quickly saw a few things.

You only pre-pot, or use 1 potion of deadly graces period throughout the fight.  You need to use x2 to get 100% efficiency.

You are missing some Fireblasts, not every fight but you are on some.  Converting every Heating up to a hotstreak is key.  This leads to the next section, you're missing Fireball crits being converted to hot streaks.  On many fights you miss various numbers of Pyros and Fireballs.  On Elerethe in particular, you are missing 6 fireball heating up procs that could have been converted to a hot streak pyro.  On other fights you missed 3 or more Pyro heating up procs.

Don't miss a proc, convert it.  You can get roughly 3 ROP in before the 4th is CD, and the combustion resets.  When that 4th is coming up, ensure you have 2 fireblasts ready, or 1 ready and the other about to finish.  Have PF ready.  Have Flame On ready.  Go into that 4th ROP with a hot streak pyro ready.  ROP+Combustion + Trinket and nuke.

There is no reason you cannot always get 6 pyros within combustion.  You can usually get a 7th at the end, but that won't be a guaranteed crit afterwards as Combustion ended.

56 minutes ago, DDyForb said:

Hey Thazi,

you seem knowledge when it comes to fire mages. Offer me some advice on my post please :)

I see every thread asking for help.  I help when I can, don't hijack other peoples thread asking for help please =P.  I will look and post shortly.  I help when I have time.  If I don't post right away, I will get to it.

Hey Thazi,

Thanks for the input. Do you know, does the logs tell you if Fireblast is on cooldown? I feel like I'm pretty good at converting, but maybe I am missing some. When I'm running kindling I don't use Flame On outside of combust generally, not sure if that's correct. And yeah I usually only use one pot per fight. When is the ideal time to use the other? Just inside the combust phase?

I'm a little confused by what you mean by this: 

This leads to the next section, you're missing Fireball crits being converted to hot streaks.  On many fights you miss various numbers of Pyros and Fireballs.

Do you mean I'm missing the insta pyros that are coming off of hot streak or just the converts? I don't think I've ever missed a pyro that since the pryo mechanic is the most obvious thing. Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying. Or maybe I have blindsight to this! haha. either way, some more explanation would be helpful.

Are you talking about the ROP cooldown outside of using Kindling? Do you generally not use it? I try to use ROP on cooldown and then align with combustion. I know I mis time it sometimes for sure though. 

also something else I struggle with is when to use PF. and for mythic+, how should my rotation change for AOE?

Thanks for your help!

On that note, here's my opener that I've been using : Pre-pot 2 seconds before pull, cast fireball, immediately drop ROP, combust, fireblast (and PF if I didn't get a crit), then go into pyro --> fb ->>>pyro chain (with flame on and PF at the end).

Edited by mogwe

2 hours ago, mogwe said:

Hey Thazi,

Thanks for the input. Do you know, does the logs tell you if Fireblast is on cooldown? I feel like I'm pretty good at converting, but maybe I am missing some. When I'm running kindling I don't use Flame On outside of combust generally, not sure if that's correct. And yeah I usually only use one pot per fight. When is the ideal time to use the other? Just inside the combust phase?

I'm a little confused by what you mean by this: 

Do you mean I'm missing the insta pyros that are coming off of hot streak or just the converts? I don't think I've ever missed a pyro that since the pryo mechanic is the most obvious thing. Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying. Or maybe I have blindsight to this! haha. either way, some more explanation would be helpful.

Are you talking about the ROP cooldown outside of using Kindling? Do you generally not use it? I try to use ROP on cooldown and then align with combustion. I know I mis time it sometimes for sure though. 

also something else I struggle with is when to use PF. and for mythic+, how should my rotation change for AOE?

Thanks for your help!

On that note, here's my opener that I've been using : Pre-pot 2 seconds before pull, cast fireball, immediately drop ROP, combust, fireblast (and PF if I didn't get a crit), then go into pyro --> fb ->>>pyro chain (with flame on and PF at the end).

When I say you are missing conversions, I literally mean you are missing conversions.  That means you have Fireblast or PF off CD and can be used to convert and it was not converted.   As in, you're getting a heating up proc from a critical strike from Fireball or Pyroblast, and you aren't using Fire blast or PF to convert it to a Hot Streak (Instant cast Pyroblast).

You should use ROP on cooldown except for when Combustion is coming close to being ready.  As I stated, you can get a total of 3 ROP down after Combustion+ROP ends before you have to save the 4th because combustion will be up at the same time as the 4th.

Kindling is passive, not sure what you mean by outside of using it.

Mythic+ is all about AoE and you should tailor your build to your group.  My group has heavy AOE Melee, so I focus on single target.  I don't pull huge numbers regardless of having the AOE talents selected so I find it best put into single target.  Thats MY group though, not yours.  You need to take your own situation into account to see where your group is lacking.

As I already stated, you should never go into ROP+Combustion without already having a hot streak ready.  If that means your DPS is shit for the first 10 seconds, so be it.  You spike to 800k during your ROP+Combustion phase, so does it really matter?  Wasting Fire Blast or PF to get into it is only wasting your chances at getting that 800k spike.  As I said, if you cast Fireball a few times and you never proc a hot streak, the next heating up you get convert to a Hot Streak with 1 PF.  You miss a few conversions at the start but you aren't wasting your FB or PF trying to get into it either, giving you more for combustion.

Pots should be used before the pull and during whatever phase you have Hero in.  In instances that your group burns hero right away at the start, you hold it either until a second hero (legendary ring) or you get ready to use your ROP+Combustion burn phase.  Doesn't really matter as long as you are either in hero or a ROP+Combustion. 

Making the mistake of thinking a 2nd pot (or no pot at all) won't account for much damage, a single pot can be as much as 8% of your total damage. 

Thazi is correct, you're missing converting on heating and further to that, you aren't casting anywhere near enough. I looked at your Ursoc fight and compared it to my last Ursoc kill. We had almost identical times (yours 4:23, mine 4:26) but I cast 29 more pyros, 7 more fireballs and 11 more fireblasts. I watched some of the replay of yours and it seems you're clunky with your casting especially when there's movement. You have to plan a bit ahead and make sure to break cast as little as possible. Anytime you're casting when you finish a spell you should be right into the next one with no delay. I know this is obvious but sometimes you're doing this well and other times it looked like you were going a second or two without casting anything. 

You also aren't handling the RoP well enough when off combustion. You should be using RoP time to pump out pyros as much as possible but it seems like you're spending too much time hardcasting fireballs.

Improve those areas and you'll be doing significantly more dps.