FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vaizard

ilvl has "hidden effect" ?!

Recently started playing again this expansion...and some friends told me , insisted EVEN!....that ilvl has some sort of hidden passive! As in...if you wear an item with higher ilvl, it's an upgrade just for that reason. Is that even true? (based on my accumulated knowledge of the game so far, till this day all through every expansion...this seems like COMPLETE nonsense...but please, humor me)

The items in question by the way that triggered this discussion were:  http://www.wowhead.com/item=129091/golzas-iron-fin&bonus=1794

vs http://www.wowhead.com/item=137369/giant-ornamental-pearl&bonus=1727

It seems very obvious to me that the first item, despite the ilvl, is far better for a feral dps. So much better in fact, that the slight changes in stats weights caused by the overall gear stats, won't even change that! The effect is horrible (for dps!), even in terms of aoe situations, unless we are talking about a really high amount of adds. Here are my current stats weights though for reference:

Agi = 10.31 , Crit = 6.04 , Weap DPS = 6.03 , Veratility = 5.79 , Mastery = 5.37 , Haste = 4.22  (simulated on simulationcraft's latest version with my current gear)

There are no hidden effects for items. But for most classes the secondary stats are not as important as their main stats and thus you can say if a item hasten ilevel more its better (obvious this doesn’t count for items without main stats on it like some trinkets, ring and neck). On the other hand there are some classes were a specific secondary stat is more important than everything else (crit for shadows and fire mages for example). There you can’t just take the item with 10 ilevel more.

So in general: higher item level doesn’t necessarily mean the item is better it. For your trinkets I can’t say which one to choose. I’d just sim the dps with both trinkets and look which one performs better

World Quest Rewards will be calculated on your available item level (You don't have to equip it).

Principles of WarPrinciples of War uses your equipped average item level. Your character's stats will be replaced by your class's PvP stat template, and then you will receive a 0.1% increase for every item level you have above 800.

Loot from bosses and mobs have a base item level, and the item level of this can be upgraded by the War-/Titanforging system. Your Ilvl is not applicable.

You have the idea that the blue is the better trinket, the use on the 840 might offer more damage though.

I think what your friends meant was

iL 800  = 100 Agility

iL 815 = 150 Agility 

but then again im probably wrong because the items you posted don't have any stats on the trinket (other than vers) therefore they actually believe there is a hidden stat..hmm

There 815 "MUST BE BETTER"

but you are obliviously aware there is so much more to it.

Edited by Dilemma90