FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alabasterjones

Secondary stats importance

Hello! I've got a couple of questions that I've been wrestling with for a while now and these questions are about the importance of secondary stats.

First of all, I'm playing enhancement, so the question(s?) will mainly be about that point of view, probably applicable on the other specs aswell though.
From what I understand the priority of the secondary stats are roughly: Mastery>Haste>Vers>Crit. The problem I have is that I think I've been too fixated in my item level that the secondary stats truely have become secondary, and I'm starting to think that this has become an issue for my dps output, so my question is basically, would it be better for me to, as an example swap my 875 bracers with Haste, Vers and Leech to a pair that has an item level of 865 but Mastery and Haste instead? 

Also, are there any %-numbers that I should strive for when it comes to these secondary stats, like "have mastery around --% and haste around --%"?

Thank you!

Edited by Alabasterjones

13 minutes ago, Shockzalot said:

don't forget the true stats are Agility>Mastery>haste

Yes, but Agility is not a secondary stat, it's primary 8)

Alright, why the importance of ring/neck specifically?

Because ring and neck don't have agility as a stat. So basically even if I have an 895 ring with crit and vers I will never replace it vs a ring that is 840 with Mastery and haste.

That is not true at all.

there is math behind the stat wieghts, and you can make your own using simcraft pretty easily.

That being said its very likely a crit/verse 895 would be a dps increase over an 840. but it really depends.

crit stats fairly far behind but  the rest arent that crazy, Vers is not that far behind in value to haste or mast,depending on your gear level.

It also depends on the stats of the ring you are replacing, for instance the craftable ring with ungodly mastery on it that can be turned into 855 + a socket is extremely hard to replace because of the sheer amount of stats on it.

I would suggest using this FinalBoss video to help you work out whats better, it is very simply and fast to do.

swap my 875 bracers with Haste, Vers and Leech to a pair that has an item level of 865 but Mastery and Haste instead? 

These are Ask Mr. Robot's stat weights for Enhancement:

Agility: 11.15
Mastery: 8.76
Haste: 7.14
Versatility: 5.92
Critical Strike: 5.6
Main Hand Damage: 4.75
Off Hand Damage: 3.51
Movement Speed: 0.57

What you can take from this is that 1500 Versatility is roughly equal to 1000 Mastery. But, increases in Agility are the most important thing. That said, Bracers don't have a tremendous amount of stats on them; you can go down to an 865 safely if it is better itemized. Watch the main pieces of head, chest, hands, and legs very closely.

Then there's the issue of jewelry, which was already brought up. Having a suboptimal trinket or two will tank your DPS precipitously, and higher item level pieces are not always better.

I am trying to sift all these posts to see if someone answers the % questions i keep seeing no answer to. Is there a Mastery cap and what is it? My Shaman with just basic ilvl upgrading gear has 76% Mastery, 32% Crit, 12% Haste, 4% Versatility. So tons of crit on the gear, which i don't want compared to Vers or Haste and I was wondering should I be losing piece with mastery and aiming for Haste/Vers pieces instead?

Edited by Teroka

There isn't a Mastery cap; there is such a thing as too little Haste, though. In earlier builds, Mastery was more overweight than it is now, because it had increased the Windfury chance by more. They nerfed that and gave us a higher rate of baseline procs, which guess what - tilts things in the favor of Haste again, since more attacks means more procs.

And I can tell just from what happens when I get Bloodlust, Berserking, Nightmare Eggshell and Bloodthirsty Instinct all stacked that there is no practical cap to Haste either. It's going to be even more important if they go through with the Boulderfist nerf and we are all severely maelstrom starved again. My expectation is that Boulderfist/AS will be a definite thing if this is how it's going to be.

• Like 1