FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
saurphang

Unholy DK Help

Hey guys,

I've played frost a majority of the time while playing a DK. This xpac said unholy was superior in the start, and as always blizz likes to throw monkey wrenches. So, for the guys that know what they are doing, for two months I have been playing unholy. I would like some advice/tips/help on what I could do better, how to optimize my gear... Any recommendations. (just don't tell me to go frost )

My armory is:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/saurphang/simple

My Log for mythic Ursoc is:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QC2kzMd3xBDhc9H8#fight=15&type=damage-done&source=17

Thank you ahead of time.

-S

Alright so after taking a pretty quick look at your logs, you're do pretty much everything correctly u have some errors though/ non optimized things for the fight. 

No D&D casts on mythic ursoc it's worth casting during adds, you had a soul reaper and a apoc come up right at the end you should just auto cast those regardless of wound count they are your hardest hitting ability unless you get rng with wounds and proc like 7 in 1 swing of SS, but then apoc would do more dmg. You weren't dotting the add from what i could tell either. Everything else was okay for the most part, i can't tell you for sure on some things such as you missed 2 casts of DT which is for your shoulders of course, I'm not sure how much time delaying it makes a different just per instance if it's up for 15 seconds idk if it's a dps gain or loss at that point, keep doing what you are doing i would suggest. I'm sure it's hardly a difference.

As far as stat priorities go going over 20% haste is pretty excessive to me, I never have rune problems or gaps in my rotation with my 18%, anything above 25% crit is good more is better, as long as it's not excessive again, with that being said mastery and crit are virtually equal over all once you have bracers so I would suggest trying to stay above 25% crit and above 40% mastery, vers is pretty lack luster would avoid it if possible. With bracers strength is very very strong like top tier strong, generally speaking any trinket that yields increase in strength is an upgrade unless it's secondary use is useless such as ursocs paw, that being said at some point it's strength out values that. If you look at my trinkets my 895 Chains with vers is better than my 885 one with crit just because the strength. I should mention that vers is not entirely useless it's pretty solid just the worst of the 4 you can choose from.

Possible upgrades to look out for, would mainly be trinkets, aiming for a better Angryboda, or a chains of valor off Odyn would be the best 2 options, a Pack of the hunter isn't to bad either though, eye of command off last boss in Kara. Also trying to lower your haste would also be ideal for more crit or mastery, even vers.

Some napkin math would be shadow damage is approx 65-70% of your dmg, so 1% of mastery is lets say a 0.7% increase in dps and mastery is our best scaling stat. Crit is around 1%-1.12%ish because of castigor, not counting RNG. Haste gains value lower you go so if your at 10% haste 1% is probably a 2% increase where as above 24% haste it's probably something more like a 0.5% increase.

All this being said it's basically does this new piece cause you to fall really low in crit/haste if no take upgrade if yes keep other piece on. Also best to sim it regardless but yeah.

Edited by Drtain

Hey, I'm sorry for the late reply. I appreciate all the help, information and suggestions you have provided me. I was lucky enough in last weeks run to get some upgrades(Back and stat stick trinket). I dropped my haste a bit and got my crit past 30% and mastery up to 43%. Looking to upgrade some additional pieces.

My next questions is about relics. I have read since I have the bracers I should focus on festering strike increase. what do you recommend?

Edited by saurphang

If you're playing 100% optimally and like some other things which is insane micro management (I'm talking about paying attention to whne fallen crusader is up and paying attention to when you can sit on wounds and stuff like this you could technically do better with fallen crusader relics.) But it'd be hardly noticeable realistically. I aim for festering strike relic just because they are no extra management but that being said it's pretty hard to get ideal relics I just aim for highest ilvl. 

I see your point.  You would have to redo your UI to all weak auras... Doesn't sound like something I was to spend my weekend on.

Do you use any special or custom UI?

I kind of have the same set up. I like your icons/timers, its a good idea. Im just trying to find ways to optimize/track myself. Sometimes I find myself either missing or casting an ability and it NOT happening. Have you ever experienced this?

If you're talking about SS for sure it happens a lot I've even seen it where I SS it hits, but it doesn't pop wounds since I got the bracers it's really buggy idk.

I've had instances where I would have 1-2 wounds up and went to FS to apply more wounds, and from what I see(on the screen) completely miss(The GCD and rune would go off). But once I cast FS again, it would seem to strike twice. I don't know if my eye sight in my old age is going but that's what's happen to me a couple times during a fight and randomly in world.

Not to go far off topic, but, have you guys seen the changes to UH?

Apoc proc (from all wounds to 6 cap// increase ghoul dmg by 33%) and legendary bracers(1-4/now 1-3)?  and 3% buff across out talents?

Nerf or not?

Who knows honestly it's not even finalized it'll probably go under at least one more change before coming live.

Another dumb question, I don't know if I asked this already (maybe because im burnt out from work) but for relics, once at max lvl should we go for ss dmg increase?

Normally just stick in your highest ilvl ones.

Unless you have lots of 890 relics and want to know which is best. If you do , lucky you!

Hey @Drtain !  Just killed Mythic Xavius last night. I'm going to link my log for that fight. If you have time, I was hoping you can review it to see if I'm doing fine. If I need to change something up please let me know, and IF I do, please show me how to figure it out by looking through the logs. I hate to keep bugging you about it, but I like to learn.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yHrhjKR3xbmBtPVX#fight=15&type=damage-done&source=6

@saurphang Clawing shadows is superior now. Looking at your logs some of our soul reapers only got 1 or 2 buffs from it meaning you lost some free haste. You missed a couple dark transformations. Infected claws is also better once you have bracers. One of your apocs only has 5 wounds being popped by it. You didn't double army of the dead with dream. Assuming this is 7.1.5 (pretty sure it is) you shouldn't be runic caped anymore it's a waste now.

@DrtainSo Clawing shadows is better than Castigor? Does it matter that im at 33% Crit , 18/19% Haste and 43% Mastery? should I focus more on Haste/Mastery gear? Yeah it was my first time/last time there prior to Tuesday Release of NightHold, I had a feeling I botch some things.

How do you see this in the logs? Id like to find out.

@Drtain Thanks for the input! I swapped out my rings and now im at 16%crit/22%haste/82%mastery. Just have to get use to the new talents/play style.

BTW, seen your name on the rankings. Congrats!