FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kazistrasz

Choosing My Off-Spec

It's that time again!

That time when I come seeking the wisdom and counsel of warlocks more advanced than I.

I play main-spec Demo as I have my 510 UVLS trinket, and I'm very comfortable with the spec. I've learned most of the tricks to it, and I can put out respectable numbers. But, I'm not sure what to do for my off-spec.

At the moment, I've kept my off-spec as destruction, which I don't actually use other than on Primordius. The other two fights it's supposed to be good for, Horridon and Tortos, I find I actually prefer Demonology. On Horridon, I help ensure the boss comes out with less health due to keep my Doom up on it, and with multi-dotting and maximizing my Hand of Gul'dan usage, I'm able to spend a lot of time in Meta where I can quickly burst down the important adds that have to die quickly. On Tortos, the bats simply don't live long enough once they're in position to keep Rain of Fire going on them for lots of Chaos Bolts. I'm also the shell-kicker for my guild (perhaps I should assign that to one of the lower DPS members), which would make it hard for me to focus on using havoc a lot while I'm chasing those damnable turtles and watching the timer. As Demo, I can simply drop my Hand of Gul'dan on them when they come down and get enough DF from the DoT and MC procs I can spend most of the fight in Meta. I also don't have two non-UVLS trinkets like I should have for destro.

Yet, I'm not sure about affliction either. What fights would I actually be better off learning the new spec for? I played around with affliction while I was leveling and hated the way Haunt and soul shards work, and I'm not sure if it's worth learning for any of the fights.

Any thoughts?

I personally haven't found a fight i was better as aff, than i am as demo. while the AoE capability of demo is (situationally) out of control powerful, Destro's rotation is easier to keep track off and well, easier all around. RoF, F&B, keep immolate and RoF up, and pretend you're doing single target... to a lot of mobs.

That being said, Zagam's guide for the current tier has suggested specs for each fight; may wanna check there first.

It's just that... every fight seems to work really well for me as Demo, with Primordius being the obvious exception as that fight was practically built for Destro. I like the way Destro plays, but I pull so ridiculously much more single taret as Demo.

At this point in the game there is no reason at all why you shouldn't just pick the offspec you find more enjoyable.

Demonology is very strong in nearly all the fights in this tier, so whatever offspec you choose wont make a world of difference.

Even on Primordius Demo is just fine. While Destro damage is absolutly (stupidly so) through the roof on that fight, it shouldn't matter much when it comes down to getting the kill.

I suggest you pick the offspec that gives you the biggest break from Demo. Which one that is I leave completely up to you. Have some fun with it, and pick the one you thinks is the coolest, or the most entertaining. If you do good as Demo, you'll do fine at either one of the others too.

You don't even need an offspec if you don't want to. Maybe make on just for PvP?

Pv...P? What is this?

Are there any fights where Affliction is simply stupid better like Destro for Prim? That's what I'm getting at. I can play any spec fine when I learn it, and I enjoy raiding regardless of whether or not I like the spec mechanics. I just am trying to figure out which one would actually be of the most use.

All specs are competitive on most fights. Some are OP for certain, but you'll find you can do relatively well with any spec, as long as you have an idea of what's going on.

The only time I remember aff being stupid better was back when that soul swap bug let you keep fully empowered dots (pretty much anything that proc'd during bloodlust/heroism at the start) on any fight with multiple targets. Now it really depends on comfort with the specialization and knowing the fights.

So it basically comes down to play something you actually enjoy playing (which rules out affliction for me).