FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Unholyknight

does haste also increase dots ticks?

from what i saw, it says

"Haste Rating will increase your attack speed and rune regeneration, as well as the attack speed of your ghoul and your gargoyle."

but does it also increase dots ticking speed?

Edited by Unholyknight

I was going to just give you a blanket yes, but nobody ever really talks about how haste affects our diseases. For every other class I can give you a definitive yes. and typically there are certain break points you should be targeting to get extra ticks from dots and hots. However to my recollection I have never seen haste breakpoints posted in any DK guides before.

Edited by Storm

Yes.

In Layman's terms, this is how DoTs work...I'll use Corruption as an example (Warlock DoT).

Corruption's initial duration is 18 seconds.  Its tick interval is 2 seconds.  To calculate the number of ticks, you would divide 18/2 to calculate 9. 

Without getting super complicated with the math, Haste reduces the total duration of your debuff as well to line up with the DoT ticks.  If you have enough Haste to bring your tick interval down to 1.5 seconds, that means you'd calculate the duration of the DoT being 1.5 x 9 = 13.5 seconds.  However, Haste adds ticks instead of shortening the duration of the debuff which gives it a higher DPET, or damage per execute time.  Since the duration would be 13.5 seconds, we take 18.0 and subtract 13.5 to get 4.5.  We could get another 3 DoTs in that time, so now Corruption would do 12 ticks in 18 seconds, up from 9 ticks in 18 seconds.  You've added 3 ticks' worth of damage for the same duration of the DoT meaning you're doing more damage in the same amount of time spent.

As you approach a Haste threshold, your max duration will decrease until it's gone down enough for you to add an additional tick.  Hope this made a little better sense...

• Like 1

According to my research the following things are not affected by haste rating:

Death Knight diseases

Feral bleeds

Hunter serpent sting

Rogue poisons and bleeds

Warrior bleeds

windwalker monks blackout kick DoT

sources: WoWWiki, battlenet forums (and many more)

• Like 2

dots last for 30 seconds and tick every 3 seconds, haste does not increase ticks as it is fixed. Haste is for your rune regen to get runes back faster and I believe your autoattacks give deathcoil procs?

Same rule applies for frost 2h as more autoattacks give a chance at killing machine procs and faster regen for more obliterates

Haste hasnt scaled dot ticks for dks since wrath. which was one of the reasons dk dps was considered "OP".

You should run simcraft to see if your weights are wrong.  I would bet that they are, I dont play unholy but I know for frost 2h mastery is valued under crit pretty much all the time, and you will reach a point in the rune regen where it levels off and crit could even pass haste.  Though that usually only happens if you get close to BiS levels.