FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Lockybalboa

Demo DS buff? Yes, I'm math stupid.

So demo DS is changing from 18k mastery to 30% mastery, from testing on the PTR I see this means that if your toon sheet reads 20% mastery and you pop DS you will then have 50%.

But, that's the way it is on live too. 600 mastery rating = 1% mastery, 18k/600=30. So why is it in a few places I've seen people that are respectable locks say this is a buff to demo DS? Mastery doesn't have diminishing returns so it's not like that 18k gets weaker as we get more mastery, so what is the change? Did I miss something?

It's not a buff.  The reason the rating value was changed is because of the Bindings trinket.  The 7% Amplification would have impacted the 18,000 rating to make it 19,260 rating upon use making it more powerful of a CD than intended.  It was changed to 30% to make it the same CD no matter what you have equipped.  It is not a nerf, nor a buff, but preventing an unintended effect of equipping a trinket.

Remember, 600 Mastery = 1% for pets and caster form, but 200 Mastery = 1% for Metamorphosis.  You can see why the extra 1260 rating would have been impactful if not the retooling of the formula.

It's not a buff.  The reason the rating value was changed is because of the Bindings trinket.  The 7% Amplification would have impacted the 18,000 rating to make it 19,260 rating upon use making it more powerful of a CD than intended.  It was changed to 30% to make it the same CD no matter what you have equipped.  It is not a nerf, nor a buff, but preventing an unintended effect of equipping a trinket.

Remember, 600 Mastery = 1% for pets and caster form, but 200 Mastery = 1% for Metamorphosis.  You can see why the extra 1260 rating would have been impactful if not the retooling of the formula.

Copy. That's what I thought it was but then another top 50 lock I did a lot of PTR with was saying it was a buff and I was a little lost. 

Thanks Zag, knew you could clear that up.

To reiterate, consider the following: assume 20,000 Mastery and 553 Bindings (7% Amp)

No Bindings & Old method: Mastery = 8 + 20,000 / 600 = 8 + 33.333 = 41.333 Mastery

+ Dark Soul = 8 + (20,000 + 18,000) / 600 = 8 + 63.333 = 71.333 Mastery

Note: exactly 30% difference in the calculation AND end result.  Now, let's see the new method...

No Bindings & New method = 8 + 20,000 / 600 = 8 + 33.333 = 41.333 Mastery

+ Dark Soul = 8 + (20,000 / 600) + 30 = 71.333 Mastery

New method - Old Method = the same!  No change!  However, let's mix in Bindings...

With the old method, it would have modified the Mastery added.  Remember, the 7% Amplification would affect both the static Mastery AND the bonus Mastery.  So that would be:

Bindings & Old Method = 8 + [(1.07 * 20,000) + (1.07 * 18,000)] / 600 = (21,400 + 19,260) / 600 + 8 = 75.766 Mastery

However, with Mastery as a flat 30% modifier, formula looks like this because they only want it to affect base Mastery:

Bindings & New Method = 8 + ((1.07 * 20,000) / 600) + 30 = 8 + 35.666 + 30 = 73.666 Mastery

This new change to the spell makes it so Mastery doesn't get double dipped. 

Mastery is linear...it isn't multiplicative like Haste, which is why they let it stay 18,000 Mastery, similarly to how Mastery buff was just 3,000 rating for Blessing of Might.  With Bindings, it becomes multplicative.  However, Blessing of Might will now be worth 3,000 * 1.0x, depending on your level of Amplification, just like each Mastery gem will be worth 1.0x%.  For the 7% Amp, you're looking at Mastery raid buff being worth 3,000 x 1.07 = 3,210 Mastery.  However, because Mastery values are different across classes, they couldn't make Mastery worth 5%.  Imagine how shitty that would be for Affliction or Destruction to only gain 5%.  5% means a WHOLE lot more to Demo than 5% for Aff or Destro.  Therefore, they're ok with gems and raid buffs giving a small bit more, but giving over 1200 more with Dark Soul was a no-no.  Because Dark Soul doesn't affect other classes, it was an easy fix to prevent double dipping.