FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Carnifex

Affli + Destro stat balance

I am currently gemmed heavily into Mastery as I was rolling Demo in ToT. I have now gone back to Destro (comfort spec and Ember Tap to help our healers) and Affli. 

AMR puts Mastery right down the list of priorities for Destro so what is the best way to balance the stats without severely gimping one or other of the specs?

That being said with high Mastery and Glyph of Havoc, my CB crits on Norushen were pretty monstrous (6 CB's for the price of 2, yes please)!

Mastery is the best stat for Affliction and Destruction in SoO.

Haste = Mastery for single target.  The difference in these stats is so small that you can't go wrong with either.  However...

Mastery > Haste for multi target.  More Mastery gives you higher burst, higher multi-target damage, and far better cleave.  Most of the top 50 Warlocks I talk to or monitor are using about 10k Haste and 12-13k Mastery. 

AFAIK, none of the secondary stats scale well for Destro, (additive, not multiplicative), like they do for Aff & Demo. From what I've seen of comments from some Blizz and community devs who work on he class, they consider Destro to be the "entry level" warlock spec (IOW easy-mode or noob spec), which I think is utterly asinine. The reasoning seems to be, they say, is that it's "less complex" than the other 2 so you deserve less DPS output. if that isn't a form of elitism, I don't know what is.

IMO it's better to go a little more into Int for Destro, i.e. mostly reds in red slots, not orange, etc., then Haste = Mast, while forging off as much Crit as you can. Or lean a bit towards Mast as Zag said, because we're basically going to be any good for AoE, not so much single-target. And good luck with the gimped KJC.

Edited by Caolela

AFAIK, none of the secondary stats scale well for Destro, (additive, not multiplicative), like they do for Aff & Demo. From what I've seen of comments from some Blizz and community devs who work on he class, they consider Destro to be the "entry level" warlock spec (IOW easy-mode or noob spec), which I think is utterly asinine. The reasoning seems to be, they say, is that it's "less complex" than the other 2 so you deserve less DPS output. if that isn't a form of elitism, I don't know what is.

IMO it's better to go a little more into Int for Destro, i.e. mostly reds in red slots, not orange, etc., then Haste = Mast, while forging off as much Crit as you can. Or lean a bit towards Mast as Zag said, because we're basically going to be any good for AoE, not so much single-target. And good luck with the gimped KJC.

But luckily, almost every fight has a healthy amount of AoE for Destruction to nom-nom on.  Destruction *does* have an easier skill curve, but the parses that are coming up show it to be pretty good right now.  I don't know if I'd use red gems though.  I still enjoy mastery.  It's especially favorable this tier with all the Shadowburn spam you can do.

Thanks for this info, I was scouring the forums looking for this. 

I just regemmed to mastery as I was "reaching" for the 13737 with 544 ilvl. I was able to drop to 10,014 haste and 12482 mastery. I'll give this a shot on sunday when we go kill the big dinosaur! 

Felt a little like I was straining for that 13,737 as my mastery was pretty low (sub 10k) to reach it. 

Felt a little like I was straining for that 13,737 as my mastery was pretty low (sub 10k) to reach it. 

You were.  You'll like the way you DPS.  I guarantee it.

Is anyone else getting the problem where they are main spec affliction with 13737 haste cap, and when they go to play destro for fights (like Garosh for me) their back draft + incinerate is shorter than the gcd? IIRC, this is a huge waste of dps, and I can't drop haste below 11k with my current gear set up, unless I take some crit.

Does anyone know the sweet spot for haste for destro where back draft incinerate is at the gcd?

Incinerate + Backlash hits 0.988 sec cast with 5% raid Haste and 35% personal Haste.  This would be 14,875 rating.  However, with Tempus Repit, Incinerate with Backlash requires less than 5% personal Haste.  This is likely where you are hard capping at Incinerate.  This also would happen permanently under Bloodlust.

Yeah, that's probably more likely the case. I don't recall the exact details as I just picked up destro for the first time in awhile for Garosh. Is this acceptable from a min-max stand point? Should I be using backlash (I always thought it to be backdraft, neat) with chaos bolt during this time?

Yeah, that's probably more likely the case. I don't recall the exact details as I just picked up destro for the first time in awhile for Garosh. Is this acceptable from a min-max stand point? Should I be using backlash (I always thought it to be backdraft, neat) with chaos bolt during this time?

Pretty sure it is backdraft. Backlash is the instant incinerate buff you get when you are meleed. He's just being silly.

BACKDRAFT, NOT BACKLASH.  In my defense, I was up until 2:30a looking and testing my gear.  I got up at 6:30a for work and am trying to keeup with these like 5 posts per 10 mins on IV lol...I COMPLETELY meant Backdraft. 

** I DO NOT SANCTION YOU GETTING MELEED.  YOU WILL DIE.**