FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Drafty53

Specs?

So I play my warlock as an alt...currently 528 ilvl. I have always loved affliction and now that, with the meta and some gear, it is viable again, I will play it for almost all single target fights. My question is: What should be my OS considering my ilvl, it being an alt, and that it will be used primarily for AoE situations? ....Things to ponder:

1. I don't really prefer either one. think both are OK playstyle wise.

2. I won't get full BiS gear for a longggg time, if ever, since it is an alt.

3. Stat synergy in mind (MS Aff)

4. AoE numbers

I know it's kind of vague, so if you need any additional info let me know. Thanks.

Destruction is solid in a sustained AoE situation.  Talking many, many mobs.  Otherwise Affliction still does well on fights with under 8'ish targets as far as AoE is concerned.

I like Destruction so far on Norushen, Galakras and Spoils.

I'm doing SoO normal as Aff/D0emo and won't start using Destro until heroics if I think I need it for a fight. In regards to your pondering topics:

1. Both are easier than affliction, so if you can play that well (I try to play my alts well, even if I can't play them as well as Kaz), then Demo and Destro should both be cake.

2. For destro, all three stats are fairly equal, so if you're getting a lot of stuff with crit here and there, it works well there. For Demo, crit has increased in value for those without UVLS right now. You may not ever get BiS, but you should definitely at least try to get UVLS for a: how easy it is to get now, and b: it's an enormous gain over other trinkets.

3. IMO Demo is a better stat synergy with Aff, at least once you get UVLS. Having the 100% crit rate on doom severely devalues crit but also inflates the values of haste and mastery, making them match up with affliction. Also, haste breakpoints are much more inconsequential for Destro, making the haste/mastery builds for Affliction translate better to Demonology.

4. Demo AoE is crazy, especially if there are tiny adds involved. Immo Aura + MF + Chaos Wave = weak adds die very quickly and give you lots of fury. Did 19-man flex last night on Dark Shaman, and I alone handled the adds as Demo for that very reason: infinite fury. IMO Destro does slightly more, but it's very much performing single target rotation with an ability that splits makes your spell cast against everything whereas Demo you actually have to change things.

On another note, due to the nature of Chaos Bolt vs. Metamorphosis, Demo is a generally more mobile spec than Destro. I often don't take KJC if I'm doing a fight as Demo simply because I don't often spend a whole lot of time in a fight casting Shadowbolt, the only spell it effects. I spend a lot of time on each fight in Meta, so I'm generally not hindered by movement until I want to cast a bunch of Soulfires during DS, but even then I can just hit ToC for a GCD to move out of a puddle or similar.

Yep. The top 8 trinkets, in order, are HTF UVLS, HWF PBI, H UVLS, H PBI, TF UVLS, WF PBI, UVLS, PBI. :D

So we're gonna down shaman real soon, I currently have Breath TF and UVLS lfr :( .... should I roll for Kardris Toxic or hand it over to mage or ele shaman and wait for Bindings? I roll with Affli as MS and keep switching Demo/Destro for OS.

If you're Affliction, Multistrike trinket is very strong.  I saw a log of a very solid Warlock (240k single target) where Multistrike beat out his Essence of Yu'lon damage.  It's pretty darn strong.  Is your Mage or Ele Shaman a better player than you?  Trinkets should always go to the best player, not the best class, in order to maximize your raid damage.