FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Funq

Simming for gear optimization

Hi all,

So I've been raiding quite a while with pretty good results within my guild. Just yesterday we took down Dark Shamans in 10-man normal and I am usually competing for the top DPS spot. However, I am still puzzled about gear optimization.

Yesterday I got the T16 chestpiece from Sha. It's itemization is crap, worse than the chest from Immerseus that I also have. I also have the flex-raid gloves, so I can go for the T16 2-piece bonus. However, I would have to give up my flex-raid Zoid's gloves which also have far better itemization (crit/mastery).

I used to use askmrrobot to get a feel for the best setup, but I am trusting that site less and less. I'm losing a lot of crit/mastery with all these haste-based plate items in SoO and I feel there should be a better way to determine the best piece. Askmrrobot suggestions are laughable in a lot of cases.

So is there a program I can use to sim fights to determine which setup I should use?

Btw, here's my armory if anyone wants to have a look

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Funq/simple

Simulationcraft is very useful. I'm no expert in using it, but it should be able to tell you everything you want, and more.

SimulationCraft, AskMrRobot, and even addons like Reforgelite and such are *tools* and nothing more.

They usually work fine but they're still only programs that can't take into account human reactions and real situations. Whereas they are actually very powerful in the right hands, more often than not common sense will be enough to guide you to the best way to gear.

If you look around for information around you'll see that for DPS warriors T16 2p is very powerful and T16 4p is almost worthless. What you can figure out form that is that you want the 2p even if the pieces are slightly less well itemized than the offpieces, and just hold to your good offpieces until you can find better itemized tier pieces. I don't really think there are any pieces this tier that are so close to eachother in stat value that you can't see immediately which one is better, except trinkets.

Speaking of trinkets, I have a very complete reference post in my sticky Fury guide on top of these forums but Thok's tail Tip > evil eye of galakras > Skeer's bloodsoaked talisman > Heroic ToT trinkets > Fusion fire core.

Thank you both for the reply.

And thanks Ragebarr for the detailed response. I did find that the 4pc was almost worthless, but hadn't found that the 2pc is very powerful. A max 40 rage bonus per CS window sounds a bit meagre, but I guess it equates to 1.3 extra HS, or especially to more rage during the execute phase. I guess I will keep my 2pc then.

Glad I could help :)

The 2pc is actually really powerful. 40 more rage gained during CS is 40 less rage you have to pool before it, and therefore not only does it make your rotation slightly easier, it allows you to do much more damage over the course of a fight.

This tier you should look at having your 2p and then whichever higher ilvl or better itemized offpieces you can get your hand on.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)