FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eldest

How do I improve?

One more topic from the same genre.

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o46108q7j12kb0ve/fights/

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/whisperwind/Eldest/simple

I need help. I am not super bad (at least I don't think so yet), but my guildies are super awesome. I eat dirt on every fight with them. I am well respected in my guild and possibly that is the reason they don't say anything to me. But I know that I am underperforming. I have read many similar posts on icy-veins and other sites and I try and follow all the advice. But I think I need some specialized help now.

Here are a few things I know that I am doing wrong. If someone can tell me how to get over them I will really appreciate it.

1. I was a raid leader for 4 solid years due to which I have developed an instinct to be really aware on what is happening around me. Even if, I do not lead raids now, the instinct still forces me to pay unneeded attention to minor details. Even though I am a warlock, if I see someone getting low on health, I cringe. In that moment, I might get distracted.

2. I really like affliction as my spec. However, I do not think i am doing justice to the spec at the moment. I have affdots, tellmewhen and other useful addons... but they are not helping. I will start out wonderfully well peaking around 300-320k and then drop like a rock mid fight. I have started paying more attention to trinket procs now, but does this spec REALLY depend that much on the trinket procs?

3. Execute range... ugh. I know I am supposed to cast DS below 20%, but sometimes due to muscle memory or w/e, I still cast MG sad.png. I feel like kicking myself afterwards, but the moment's gone by that time.

4. I pre-pot but I keep waiting for a nice lineup of buffs for the next pot and it never comes and many times I forget to pot again. /facepam

5. My DS and Haunt uptime might also need a little improvement (Just an observation).

So these are few things that I think are making my dps mediocre. If there's anything you guys can add, I would really appreciate it.

Another question I had is how to do competitive dps during AE situations. Destro AE is so much easier and fluent, is there something that I can do other than SoC -> SE+SS and then spread debuffs? In any AE situation, i find myself really lacking if I am affliction.

Appreciate all the help!

One of the more experienced locks like zagam or locky may correct me but, yes affliction relies heavily on trink procs. The primary goal is to maintain buffed dots as much as possible. And keep haunt up on those buffed dots using malefic grasp as much as time allows. I generally try and use my second pot when hero and my meta gem proc. At the moment fights like malkorok and IJ favor destro heavily as they're single targent where as fights like protectors and Nazgrim are very affliction friendly. Other fights like Sha and Thok in my opinion are better for destro since there's not as many adds to multi dot but you can still get use from havok. Looking at your logs are haunt time is a little low 70% seems to be an acceptable range and during execute you should never be shard starved.

I'll take a harder look at the logs later but in my quick review:

Haunt looks a little low for up time

Dots look okay

MG is a bit low

4pc for aff is meh, if you have some or get some off items that are well itemized it might help a little.

More info later!

I had read somewhere that I should NOT be clipping Haunt. Is that still valid? I usually cast haunt as the debuff is about to fall.

Correct, reason being that Haunt no longer buffs itself.  It only buffs DoT damage now.  When you clip Haunt you lose overall Haunt uptime.

• Like 1

One more topic from the same genre.

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o46108q7j12kb0ve/fights/

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/whisperwind/Eldest/simple

I need help. I am not super bad (at least I don't think so yet), but my guildies are super awesome. I eat dirt on every fight with them. I am well respected in my guild and possibly that is the reason they don't say anything to me. But I know that I am underperforming. I have read many similar posts on icy-veins and other sites and I try and follow all the advice. But I think I need some specialized help now.

Here are a few things I know that I am doing wrong. If someone can tell me how to get over them I will really appreciate it.

1. I was a raid leader for 4 solid years due to which I have developed an instinct to be really aware on what is happening around me. Even if, I do not lead raids now, the instinct still forces me to pay unneeded attention to minor details. Even though I am a warlock, if I see someone getting low on health, I cringe. In that moment, I might get distracted.

2. I really like affliction as my spec. However, I do not think i am doing justice to the spec at the moment. I have affdots, tellmewhen and other useful addons... but they are not helping. I will start out wonderfully well peaking around 300-320k and then drop like a rock mid fight. I have started paying more attention to trinket procs now, but does this spec REALLY depend that much on the trinket procs?

3. Execute range... ugh. I know I am supposed to cast DS below 20%, but sometimes due to muscle memory or w/e, I still cast MG sad.png. I feel like kicking myself afterwards, but the moment's gone by that time.

4. I pre-pot but I keep waiting for a nice lineup of buffs for the next pot and it never comes and many times I forget to pot again. /facepam

5. My DS and Haunt uptime might also need a little improvement (Just an observation).

So these are few things that I think are making my dps mediocre. If there's anything you guys can add, I would really appreciate it.

Another question I had is how to do competitive dps during AE situations. Destro AE is so much easier and fluent, is there something that I can do other than SoC -> SE+SS and then spread debuffs? In any AE situation, i find myself really lacking if I am affliction.

Appreciate all the help!

2. Yes your trinkets are absolutely important, since they buff your dots for a rather large amount of time by 200%+

4. I use the second pot in execute range, if the procs don't line up, simply because most bosses go down in 30-40 sec after that. The potbuff is long enough, that you can recast the dots, if you trinkets should proc. And even without procs it's a large dmgboost.

This and the other observations you made should fix the majority of your dps-problems.