FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
arkain3

Avoidance Prot Warrior

Would really like some of the pro players take a gander at my toon and see where i can improve? Im going for avoidance, and really havent had many issues of dieing, but I'd like to see my self become one of the top warriors on my server, I know for sure i need new shoulders, but was curious if there was anything else maybe i could improve on?

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Aggramar/Apoly%C3%B6n/ - another armory website.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Apoly%C3%B6n/simple - wow armory

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/291207/ - world of logs, only one raid in there for now i just started using it.

Reforges/enchants look ok. Logs not so much.

On your longest fight on these logs, you cast Shield Block 2 times and Shield Barrier 5 times. Saying this is not enough would be a massive understatement. The more ennemies hitting you the more valuable Shield Block is. On a fight like galakras you should be using it essentially on cooldown when you'Re tanking the adds.

Shield Block Barrier (mistake corrected, blamed it on being tired) should mainly be used when you,re going to take big, unavoidable hits or when you have too much rage even when casting SBlk on CD.

Haven't looked at more than that yet, but you definitely need to work on this.

• Like 1

I believe Ragebarr means Shield BARRIER should be used to take big unavoidable attacks. On any fight where you're being melee's by one or more mobs Shield block should be used on CD, it should be around 50-67% uptime. Having low Sblock uptime leads to lower enrage uptime (less rage, less DPS), you should be looking to 75% enrage  uptime as a minimum. Especially so as you take Glyph of Heavy repercussions.

• Like 1

Yeah my bad. Typo slipped in >_> I edited and corrected it.

(I'm not super tired because of my classes or anything, not at all...)

Perfect, Thanks guys, I did notice my that my Sblock isn't up as much, I'll focus in and make it happen more often and post more logs in the few weeks to come. Thanks a ton!

Your average shield block uptime went from near 0 to ~40%. It's definitely a gigantic increase, but as you said yourself you can do better! Aim for it to be between 50-66%, and remember to weave in Shield Barriers whenever you have leftover rage and damage can be absorbed or when a big unavoidable attack is coming your way (Flame Vents on Juggernaut or Froststorm stuff from dark shamans, for example)

Edit: You also don't seem to be using your dps cooldowns enough. Use them as much as possible, they are a big part of the damage you do.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Kardris's Froststorm Bolt can be reflected, and it's damage is based off your stacks, and it's always better to reflect rather than Absorb an attack. You seem to use TC a little more than necessary on a single target, this is a DPS loss you really do jsut want to stick to SS, Rev, and Dev (and Dragon roar), I know people will point at logs and say But TC hits harder than Devastate, which is true, but because of the Dev crits enraging you and Dev hits proccing SnB, which menas more SSs and more ultimatum procs it barely works out equal DPS and is an RPS loss. You're also using Heroic strike when you don't have an Ultimatum proc, Stop that, with GoHR when off-tanking you're better off not using rage on HS but on Sblock to power up your SSs, when you're not pooling rage for the next time you have aggro, or Execute, and when you are tanking you should be dumping excess rage with Sbar (or Execute if you have defensive CDs to spare)

• Like 2

Keep in mind that Kardris's Froststorm Bolt can be reflected, and it's damage is based off your stacks, and it's always better to reflect rather than Absorb an attack.

I had no idea you could spell reflect that, Thank you. I will continue to work on it, less Heroic Strikes more Sblocks!

Gear:

Enchants and gems seem alright. I see you have threeset. 4p isn't particularly useful for prot in the avoidance build. Try to get the tier helm and legs and use offpieces for the other slots. I also see that you have a mastery neck, try to get Blackfuse's Blasting Cord if possible. That'll also help with your hit and expertise situation as well. Grab the axe off Dark Shaman if you can. You're an orc. Axes and orcs belong together. =)

Looking at your second set of logs:

Immerseus:

This is the fight on 11/25. It's a six minute fight and I'm not seeing a single major CD use! No Shield Walls, no Last Stands, and only two uses of Demo Shout. Even on farm content, you should be using CDs. Practice on your farm content as you intend to play for your progression fights. I cannot say enough about cooldown usage. It is all important. Intelligent rotation of CDs will make you an infinitely better tank. I do see four casts of Vigilance. I think this is double counted by WoL due to its CD and the duration of the fight. Looks like you cast it twice on your offtank. This is good, thinking of the life of your tanking partner is always somethng you should do, but this also shows that you're putting more thought into his/her survival than you're putting into your own. Have I harped about CDs enough? Nope.

I do see three uses of Enraged Regen. I like that you're not only using something other than Second Wind, but that you're also utilizing it in fights. I'll talk about overhealing later on, but I'd much rather see big overheals on ER than not see it used.

For your active mitigation use, I see 11 SBlks with 29% uptime and 5 SBars. The uptime on SBlk could be much higher. Normally here would be the point where I'd harp about overheals, but your five uses of SBar have 0% overheals! I'd congratulate you, but your average SBar size is only 110k. This means one of two things: you're using it with less than 60 rage or you're using it when you have no (or little) vengeance. I'm guessing the former.

I can prove a generation of 1850 rage. If I make the assumption that all five of your SBars were used with 60 rage and factor in your Sblks, you used 960 rage on mitigation. You used Heroic Strike 10 times, Cleave 0 times, and had 13 Ultimatum procs. I'm assuming, then, that all of your HS uses were free, but that still means you could have used it three more times for free. It's off the GCD, so there's no reason not to. I do not see any Executes. On a fight like Immerseus, you have ample opportunities to Execute. If it's safe, do it! Tank damage matters! Counting all of this, you used 960 of the 1850 rage you generated and that's assuming your 5 SBars each took 60, which is highly unlikely. This means you wasted 890 rage. You threw away nearly 50% of your generated rage. That's immense! You need to be using every bit of rage you have for the avoidance build to truly be effective. If you're not actively tanking, you should be using SBlk on CD and using any excess rage on HS/Execute. If you are actively tanking, you should be using SBars for his Corrosive Blast and keeping SBlk on CD otherwise, any excess rage should be used on full, 60 rage SBars.

Not only is the use of SBar important, but what it gets used on is important too. The main thing you should be mitigated with it is Corrosive Blast. I'm seeing 3 hits, but only one was absorbed at all. You should always have a SBar up for that.

I'm also seeing dysmal use of your damage output CDs. Tank damage is important!

The Fallen Protectors:

Zero Shield Walls. Zero Last Stands. Seven hits of Demo Shout. Considering you're likely hitting 2-3 targets every time you use it, I'm going to estimate that at 3 uses. In a 6.5 min fight, you could have used it almost double that many times. I'd say 5 uses would be reasonable for a fight that length. 3 Enraged Regens again. Good to see them beng used. Not seeing any Vigilances. I also see 3 uses of Spell Reflection, which is good since the Misery add's knockback and initial dot tick can be reflected.

For active mitigation, you had a 40% uptime on SBlk, which is closer to what I'd like to see. You had 10 uses of SBar with an average size of 124k and a .2% overhealing. The overhealing is good, but that average size needs to be brought up. It's good that you're using your Sbars when you put them up, but you're not really getting much for the rage.

As for rage use, assuming 60 rage per SBar use, you used a total of 1740 rage on mitigation between SBlk and SBar. You had 24 Ultimatum procs, 10 HSs, and 14 Cleaves, so all of that was free. I'm still not seeing any Executes. I see a rage generation of 2700. You had a waste of at least 35%.

Your damage CD use is still inconsistent, but I do see one Recklessness use.

Norushen:

This is your third fight and yet I still have not seen a single SW or LS. Demo Shout use looks like you used it maybe 2-3 times. One use of Bloodbath, no uses of Recklessness. I see 5 Mass Spell Reflects, which is likely one use.

30.6% uptime on SBlk, needs to be brought up. ONE use of SBar! @.@ That ONE use had 78.6% overhealing and its size? 25k. Fix that.

11 Ultimatum procs, 21 HS uses, 7 Cleaves. I am not assuming that one SBar took 60 rage. It took 20, there is no other way. I still see no executes. Counting all of this, you spent 1020 rage on damage, only 680 on mitigation, for a total of 1700 used. You generated 2285. This is a waste of 25%, which is certainly better than previous fights, but needs to be rbought down. While using rage on HS/Cleave is immensely better than letting it go to waste, you need to have a higher uptime on SBlk and you need to make better use of your SBars.

Sha of Pride:

2 uses of Recklessness, which is a big improvement. Still no uses of SW/LS and inconsistent use of Demo Shout. 2 uses of Blood Fury, which is the first I've seen of your orc racial (unless I overlooked it).

40.9% SBlk uptime, better but could still use improvement. I see no uses of SBar whatsoever.

12 Ultimatum procs, 21 HSs, no Cleaves, no executes. So 540 rage spent on damage. 1020 rage spent on SBlk, 0 rage on SBar. You used a total of 1560 and gained a total of 2355, for a waste of 33.7%.

Galakras:

Is.... is that a Shield Wall I see!? Nope. It's TWO!!! Hooray! But... no uses of Last Stand. =( 19 hits of Demo Shout, which I'm going to guess is about 5 uses, which still could be better, but that's a guess. You could have used it 9 times or so (which would be good). I see that you took Bladestorm for this fight. Good.

22 uses of Sblk for an uptime of 27.2%. If adds are dying quickly enough that you have significant downtime between sets, then this low uptime isn't concerning, especially if you're properly utilizing SBar once Galakras comes down. However, I'm seeing only 5 uses of SBar. These all have the same low average size as previous fights.

16 Ultimatum procs, 57 Cleaves, and 16 HSs. So 1710 rage spent on damage. Still no Executes. I'm going to assume again that your SBars took 60 rage, so in total you used 1620 rage on mitigation. It's showing a gain of 3365 rage, and a use of 3330. However, that's assuming 60 rage per SBar. Even if I assume 20 rage per SBar, you used 3130. That's not bad, actually. I'd stll want to see a waste of less than 100 rage total, but at least this is a massive improvement over previous fights. However, you're putting it all into damage. Furthermore, you're putting it all into ineffective damage. All of your Cleaving gave you only 1,896,965 damage. You should only HS/Cleave/Execute as a rage dump when you're actively tanking. You could have used that rage for SBars and SBlks. This would have allowed you to take much less damage and it would have been a VERY small sacrifice of your damage output.

This is another fight where I check to see where your SBars are going. I'd expect to see a significant portion of your Flames of Galakrond damage being mitigated by your SBar. You absorbed only 131k of 2.1 mil you took of the DoT portion and 780k from the initial hit.

Iron Juggernaut:

One SW, one Reck, still no LS. 5 Demo Shouts, which is a fairly good number of uses.

I see 12 uses of SBlk and an uptime of 27.8%. That's fine for this fight. This fight is all about magic damage, so you should be using your rage for SBar, even while not actively tanking as long as you still have the DoT on you. However, I see 8 uses of SBar with an average size of just short of 167k and 0% overhealing. For this fight, you should have a fresh SBar up for every flame breath as well as keeping SBar up to mitigate the DoT.

13 Ultimatum procs, 20 HSs, no Cleaves, and no Executes. 210 rage used on damage. Assuming 60 rage per SBar, you used 1200 rage on mitigation. You generated 2590 rage, so you wasted 45.5% of your rage.

Your SBars totalled 1.33 mil absorbed. I see 838k used on Ignite Armor and 132k on Flame Vents. There are quite a bit of absorbs used on melee attacks as well, but those are likely from healer absorbs. So it looks like your SBars are probably going where they should, when you're using them.

Alright, I think I've looked at a decent spread of fights for you. Let me know if you'd like any further clarification and if you feel like submitting more logs, I can take a look at those too.

• Like 1

Holy balls you're thorough..... *takes notes*

Sorry you said 'Demo Shout' and my warlock sense went off.