FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Moving to Paris!

I haven't been very active on the forums lately. The reason is that I'm in the middle of giving up the tranquility of my provincial city of Lyon for the craziness of Paris, where my fiancée was just hired.

The internet connection I had ordered for our new place just died on me so I have to rely on my 3G mobile phone connection and some free wireless network that I managed to connect to. Very convenient to play the beta, as you can imagine :)

Other than that, life in Paris is very interesting from a cultural point of view. There are a lot of museums, concert halls, theaters, movie theaters, etc. Despite what one might think, there are a lot of parks and the country side is really close.

I only have two complaints.

It's really too big, so you waste a lot of time moving around. I mean, in Lyon, I live in a close suburb and if I walk for 45 minutes, I'm downtown. In Paris, I live in a close suburb as well and if I walk for 45 minutes, I'm still 45 minutes away from the outer edge of Paris :P

The rents are crazy. For 1,100 euros a month, we get a 2-room 40 square meter apartment (that's about 360 square feet if I count right) with a large balcony, a parking spot, and a big storage box in the basement. In Lyon, for the same price, you can rent a 5-room 120 square meter apartment. Ouch! Now, the salaries are interesting, so this makes up a bit for apartments being so expensive.

• Like 2

You should change your "Location" on the forum. You are no longer worthy of claiming Lyon.

• Like 1

3G mobile phone connection

Omg that is sooo much headache! I've got one of those 3G usbstick. Telling me the signal is 'very strong' but fails to open pages decently, let alone haven't even bothered to try playing wow on it.

Good luck in Paris though! Hope it won't drive you crazy ;)

• Like 1

Omg that is sooo much headache! I've got one of those 3G usbstick. Telling me the signal is 'very strong' but fails to open pages decently, let alone haven't even bothered to try playing wow on it.

Good luck in Paris though! Hope it won't drive you crazy Posted Image

Thanks! Not to mention I have a 1 Gigabyte limit in traffic on it, so I have to use it as little as possible :P

And I thought my connection was bad! Hopefully you will be able to get something more permanent sorted soon.

I don't like the underground on Paris, it's scary. Though it may have been refurbed in the past ten years?

Anyway it is handy because should I ever holiday in Paris I have someone to ask 'where is a good place to visit in Paris'. Local knowledge is always the best.

It is more likely I would holiday in Lyon however.

Flash backs to foreign exchange visits to Paris (I mean I love the place but after the 6th time of going even the Eiffel Tower was looking grim!)

I remember my last year (15yrs old) going to a supermarche and picking up a few beers and missing the organised visits with a few of my mates.

Must admit though loved visiting Versailles. Best part of the trip every year. Even as a teenager you could tell the place was special!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

And I thought my connection was bad! Hopefully you will be able to get something more permanent sorted soon.

I don't like the underground on Paris, it's scary. Though it may have been refurbed in the past ten years?

Anyway it is handy because should I ever holiday in Paris I have someone to ask 'where is a good place to visit in Paris'. Local knowledge is always the best.

It is more likely I would holiday in Lyon however.

The Metro is still really bad. Coming from Lyon, I've always been horrified by the state of the Parisian underground network. It's like so filthy that I never dare sitting down or touching anything. So I just stand there, trying to keep my balance.

Flash backs to foreign exchange visits to Paris (I mean I love the place but after the 6th time of going even the Eiffel Tower was looking grim!)

I remember my last year (15yrs old) going to a supermarche and picking up a few beers and missing the organised visits with a few of my mates.

Must admit though loved visiting Versailles. Best part of the trip every year. Even as a teenager you could tell the place was special!

That's a lot different from my time in England as a teenager. The most memorable moment was when my classmates ended up fighting against a group of English teenagers on a football field. People from both groups finished the evening at the hospital, with various cuts and other injuries :P

• Like 1

Damien's post made me laugh as I suddenly had flash backs to my childhood. I'm glad it wasn't just my scummy school which took part in such activities.

• Like 1

That's a lot different from my time in England as a teenager. The most memorable moment was when my classmates ended up fighting against a group of English teenagers on a football field. People from both groups finished the evening at the hospital, with various cuts and other injuries Posted Image

Haha we had a few decent football matches too iirc. One time a group of 20+ french guys tried to get in on the action, got well heated, we still won though ;)

We had another memorable moment when one of our classmates got separated from the group in London. As he wasn't exactly popular, it literally took us hours to notice he was missing. No one had cellphones, it was 1997. He spent the entire day at the police station, waiting for someone to come and pick him up :P

Aye, someone slipped something into my coke. I believe I was about 15 at the time, it wasn't good. Luckily I got back to the hotel & slept it off!

That's so crazy but when you think of it: in an underground network where a few people get pushed to their death every year, what happened to you doesn't seem so out of the ordinary.

Indeed, that sort of thing happens all over so I hold no grudges! At the end of the day nothing otherwise untoward happened as a result.

On a different subject I was out last night and someone mentioned they were going on holiday to Lyon in a few weeks... is there anywhere you would recomend from a locals point of veiw that they should visit? Keeping in mind they are nearing retirment age so underground clubs may not be of interest!

Obviously should anyone visit the land of Scots I can give similar advice.

I'm grudgingly going to Edinburgh at the end of the month as a friend is having a stag do. Sixteen silly drunken men all sharing a hostel room. Oh what joy. I'm praying for flu or some other ailment which will get me off the hook.

• Like 2

I'm grudgingly going to Edinburgh at the end of the month as a friend is having a stag do. Sixteen silly drunken men all sharing a hostel room. Oh what joy. I'm praying for flu or some other ailment which will get me off the hook.

Liar, its not a friends stag do its yours aint it :P

It's pretty cool, provided you live inside the city, as some of the suburbs aren't that great :)