FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sikkz

Question about 2pc set bonus (FROST)

I got my two piece set bonus for t16 a couple of weeks ago.  For those who don't know what the 2pc bonus is for frost mages....

"Consuming brain freeze increases the damage of your next Ice Lance, Frost Bolt, Frostfire Bolt, or Cone of Cold spells by 20%."

I find myself in a particular situation a lot and I was wondering if anyone has run any numbers on it to see what provides the most dps.  

I will consume my brain freeze proc (therefore activating the 2pc bonus), and after I consume the proc, my next immediate spell is frost bolt (this scenario assumes that after the 2pc bonus is activated, you have no charges of Fof or brain freeze to consume).  Sometimes, right when I start casting frostbolt, a BF or FoF will proc.  Now, my predicament is this: Do I continue the frostbolt cast and let it consume the 20% damage increase, or do I stop casting and consume the 20% damage increase with a FoF or BF proc?

Let me explain...

Average frostbolt cast: 60,000 damage

With 2pc proc: 72,000 damage

Net Damage Increase from frost bolt with 2pc damage buff : 12,000 damage

HOWEVER....

Average ice lance from a FoF proc: 250,000 damage

With 2pc proc: 300,000 damage

Net damage increase from FoF with 2pc damage buff: 50,000 damage

With all that being said, it's quite obvious that allowing a FoF or BF proc to consume the 20% damage increase buff provides for much more damage compared to a frostbolt cast consuming it.  But is the difference big enough to the point that it's optimal to stop casting when the scenario arises that I mentioned above?

I welcome all opinions and discussion on this issue, but am mainly looking for someone that can back their answer up with raw data.

Thanks so much in advance!

Pretty interesting.  I'd be interested to hear what the math guys say.  This may be worth setting up a weak aura for if that is the case though.   Seems like a pretty significant difference...

How about the value of the wasted gcd(assuming haste has you at almost 1 second Frostbolts) through cancelling the frostbolt cast?

I think you have really said all that needs to be said. It is a priority based proc for the purposes of the net damage gain at that time.

Scenario 1(frostbolt is continued)

GCD 1 Frostbolt - 72,000 damage

GCD 2 FoF - 250,000 damage

GCD 3 Frostbolt - 60,000

total damage = 382,000

Scenario 2(cancel first cast)

GCD 1 cancelled frostbolt - 0

GCD 2 FoF - 300,000

GCD 3 Frostbolt - 60,000

total damage = 360,000

These are my thoughts but i could also be wrong smile.png

The basic thoughts are right, but as a caster you should never interrupt your cast.

You should think preactively instead:

BF has 1 charge, FoF has 2 charges to be stored.

You can safely save up one Ice lance that won't be a wasted charge until you get a BF and then consume it with it.

Or, you can stay close to melee range, and pop a Frozen Orb just after you casted BF. This will generate 1 FoF just in time for casting.

What I usually do is: Save up one FoF. BF procs, cast BF... If I'm lucky I get one more BF... Cast BF again, then Ice lance.

What if no other procs when BF procced? Just go on with the normal rotation even if something procs meanwhile. Interrupting your cast is always a wasted DPS just as you can see in Brewmonksta's post.

I suspected that interrupting casting in this scenario is, just like pretty much all other scenarios, a big no-no.  I just saw how substantial the difference in net damage was and it sparked some curiosity in me as to whether interrupting a FB cast would be justifiable.  

I like what you have to say about "preactive" thinking. I have fiddled around a lot with the strategy you mention regarding saving your first ice lance, and it sounds to me like the most optimal way to utilize the 2pc set bonus.  My only issue with it is that I will get my first proc.....save it....keep casting....get my second proc, and when I have my max of two procs I panic because I tell myself "AAAAAHHHHHH YOU ARE MAXED OUT AND ANY MORE FoF PROCS ARE BEING WASTED!!!".  Even though it's only just over 1 second (max) that I'm harboring two charges before I consume one of them , it still bothers the absolute crap out of me knowing that any FoF procs that happen during that time are wasted.  Point being: my brain tells me the world is ending when I have 2 charges of FOF and it makes me reluctant to always harbor a charge.   I honestly don't even know what the numbers are regarding this, I would love to see just how many FoF procs (if any) are wasted in a typical fight using this "preactive" thinking strategy.  Maybe then my panic and insanity about it will be calmed;)  

Thank you guys for your feedback.  Cheers!

• Like 1

You can always check that back, via World of logs. :)

There will always be wasted procs, because we are not robots and we can't under 0,1 second that I have to cast now, omg! Just don't stress about it too much. Wasted proc is a wasted proc, but the world won't end. :)

Thanks for covering for me Oltier, had stuff going on this past weekend.

Everything he says makes sense. Snapshot > ABC > 2nd FoF > BF-FFB > 1st FoF

• Like 1