There are a number of basics that need to be outlined before you begin:
- You need at least one companion pet to begin your pet battle journey.
- Your character needs to be a minimum of level 5 and pay 100g to learn pet battle training. I believe this is a one off payment (so once paid all of your alts can train pets as long as they are Level 5 or above).
- All of your companions are now shared across all characters and any pets that you train and level are available on each of them. Therefore if you level a pet to level 5 on one character it will still be level 5 on an alt etc.
- Currently pets can be levelled / traded / sold on the auction house between players. This will open a market for people who enjoy the pet battles to train pets to resell for those that don’t have the time.
- Please note that this INCLUDES all pets / companions at this current time with the exception of TCG pets and Special Edition pets. This includes any that were previously Bind on Pickup!
As you can see from the photo you can purchase Mr.Chilly (pet earned for merging your battle.net account back in 2009) and a Core Hound Pup (for owning an authenticator). This allows players to collect pets they previously couldn’t!
- You can capture and own more than one creature at the same time. E.g – It is possible to have both a level 3 Fawn and a level 5 Fawn in your companion journal.
- Pets now are a particular quality – therefore it is possible to stumble upon a poor / uncommon /rare etc critter. Currently the only way to determine its quality before you capture is to see how its health points compare with other ones you have found (the rarer the quality the higher the initial health). At this time I am unsure of the implications of the quality of pets, but I think it can be assumed that they will probably have more health and deal more damage at a similar level compared to poorer quality pets.
Edited by Peelyon, 18 July 2012 - 06:51 PM.