FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Toffees

Am I asking to much of our Disc priest?

Hi all,

First of all, let me say that I'm not a priest :-)  The reason for posting here is to understand from the Priest community whether or not its feasible or practical for a Disc priest to have a viable Holy offspec.  I've researched the different stat priorities and my first thoughts are that having a holy offspec would require the player to constantly have to reforge and potentially re-gem when hopping between specs.  However, I was wondering if there was some 'middle ground' that would allow both specs to be viable.

We run a 10 man team currently 7/14 hc and our disc priest is being reluctant to try it, so before I say anything else (!), I thought it best to come ask the experts :-)

Hello there,

I'm not a Priest either, but... Have you considered getting him/her a set of off gear? :P

Adam

Well, i'd say no right on the top of my head. That is mainly cuz disc's run with Crit > Mastery > Spirit and they usually only run with around 6-7k spirit, which is nowhere close the ammount a holy wants. Also the fact that holy want either full mastery(25man) or Haste(to soft breakpoint) and crit after that, while still priorising spirit above crit. To be viable as holy u'd want atlast 13kish spirit if not more and thats something that a disc would never obtain cuz its a huge loss in term of healing to gain that much for disc.

First of all, there's no reason for your priest to go holy ever except for Malkorok.  Especially in 10m, disc is king.

That being said, if you want him to go holy on other fights for whatever reason, yeah he's gonna need some different gear.  Holy to my understanding basically has Disc's stat priorities in reverse, Haste (to some point) > mastery > crit and lots of spirit in there somewhere. 

I'm curious how your disc is able to use Spirit Shell as often as he should at ~6500 spirit... can you get me an armory and/or logs?

Holy can perform just as well with crit. Yea the "norm" is haste/mastery but crit isn't far behind.

The only thing your disc would have to do is get use to healing as holy and reforge into more spirit. Otherwise it's just a matter of playstyle.

Again, as I've said in other threads, holy priests have the most versatility in terms of stats and playstyle. You can pretty much do anything and as long as your numbers are up then it's fine.

OP,

If your Disc carries Holy as their offspec (and they are comfortable raiding in that spec) they are able to change back and forth between specs w/o reforging and regemming.  The only thing they need to keep their eye on is Spirit, easily fixed by a regen trinket.  If they are reluctant to change and they are not effecting your ability to progress, there really is no reason to have them go Holy except on Malkorok.  Pigeonholing themselves into only playing one spec well enough to raid in only hurts themselves when it comes time to look for a healer to drop.  It is a game; do what is fun.  If that means it's only fun for this person to play Disc, so be it.

TLDR:  Too much to ask is based on the player in question.  Is it possible to switch back and forth w/o regemming and reforging and them still hold their own in killing bosses, absolutely yes it can be done with something as little as a regen trinket.