FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Yumako87

Resto healing with a disc priest

Hey guys currently im healing siege of ogrimmar with a holy paladin, kinda equally geared as me and a disc priest about 15 ilvl more than me but thats no problem, but yesterday when we cleared half siege of ogrimmar i got so frustrated that this disc priest absorbs did 4x times my healing, how is this possible?

Just feels so frustrated why bother bring a r.shaman when a disc priest does my and the other heals x2 ? only thing she got is the legendary back but i dont think because of that back that her healing would skyrocket so high.

Even when i was ilvl 518 i still would heal more than 2-3 others in my guild with 555+ ilv, 
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Yumako/advanced

My rotation is kinda simple, on stacking, UE+HR and HST,+chain heal
Single target, riptide, ghw/hw depending on damage , chain heal if spread, and HTT+HR on high damage situations and spirit link when stacked or to save tank to stabilize health.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Yumako87

If you can post some logs, we can sure give you plenty of tips to help you improve your style. However, I think that the question you're asking goes deeper than that.

On most content these days, you get a lot of times where there isn't a hell of a lot of damage going out - it's non-critical healing and anyone could do it. This is where absorbs shine, because they take priority. Where your heals shine is when the healing is critical - especially during burst phases. You should be just as good there, so make sure to play to your strengths! :) Planning and using those cooldowns well (and you have tons of them) is key to doing well as a Shaman.

If you want to read more detail about what I just said, check out Vixsin's blog post about this very subject.

This is, sadly, entirely normal for Resto Shaman right now.

Unfortunately i dont have any logs atm, but usually me and the paladin did 18% ish of the healing and she did 45% + , i read the vixsin blog and kinda maked me sad that absorbs are so strong now.

i read the vixsin blog and kinda maked me sad that absorbs are so strong now.

Well yes. I think her point was that absorbs aren't really as strong as they look - when it matters, they're just about as good as normal heals. This is comforting for me :)

Heya,

I happen to 2 heal most fights with a disc priest. I have noticed the following.

When we heal a fight with low damage intake or on serious farm status disc priest does better than shaman.

When we add a third healer (monk or druid) he does the same healing as before but i do less. I would imagine that paladin would reduce disc priest heals somewhat because they do have a decent amount of absorbs.

When we 2 heal a fight that has high damage intake even on farm status i do better than him.

When we 2 heal a progression fight which usually have high/uncomfortable damage intake i usually destroy him.

I think this is pretty much how they work, they do amazing with comfortable fights but they dont seem to be able to pull the same amount of numbers that resto shammies can.

Another thing, 15 item levels at that level is HUGE, just be aware of it :)

Might be able to give additional tips if you provide logs.

Dof

Agree with what Dofri said. It's very much a fact of "if you want to do well, heal progress". :)

Everything is tuned for heroic competition. once you have 550 gs you outgear normal for 2 healers, and it starts to make sense to start giving someone with offspec practice or subbing in a healer that may have skill but just needs gear.

As for disc priests, spirit shell is up every minute, a disc preist who knows when damage spikes are coming in can effectively take all the heals for themselves. this leaves the other healers to fight over sniping reduced scraps. ironically disc dont really benefit from teh healing cloak and most take the dps cloak to save money on having an offspec cloak.

they also have an absorb called divine aegis, it is the bubble caused by any of their crits. how disc work is that when they crit someone, they dont heal them for double. the person gets a regular amount of healing and then the same amount again as a bubble that sticks on the target for 14 sec. any damage anyone takes in that 14 sec has to cancel out the bubble before actually damaging anyone and allowing hp to be missing for others to heal.

with too many healers in a group, a disc will heal at their full potential, and the other healers will ahve to split what is left. this changes once you start heroics. a substantial amount of damage goes out in heroics, so much so that you would outheal most discs even though all of their absorbs are never wasted.

disc is difficult to play in heroic because they have to find ways to stand still and get smites off. it can be difficult for disc priests to heal heroic malkorok as well, because disc bubbles dont add to the shields provided by the fight and so the effective damage reduction done by divine aegis does get wasted quite a bit. at any time or skill level it is difficult for a disc priest to fill hp bars back up. they really dont have a good way to do it.

i dont understand healers that are upset that disc complements them so well. without any type of plan or coordination a disc can just show up and contribute to the team. the point of being good is to kill bosses. i enjoy looting dead bosses and not looking at recount all that much unless bosses arent dying. and even then, recount is just a hint. observation and proper analysis of what's really holding a group back takes a lot more than a few graphs and bar charts.

I understand what you are saying thanks for that.

This is the priest http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Instone/advanced ( she is obv much better geared and have leg cloak)

We are just doing normals atm, and she is prob way too overgeared for it,  pretty much doing all healing leaving me and a holy pala left at the bottom healing, not much to heal at all.

But also wouldnt my healing be even lower, cause if she got bubbles on all, my mastery would be pretty useless if they are usually over 90%.

But i hope once we get to heroics, it could change when the damage rises!

she's geared for starting to work on the final wing. your healing should be of significant value on thok. your cooldowns should be very useful on even normal juggernaut. if you are 3 healing any fights before juggernaut you may want to have someone practice their dps off spec. spoils is kind of a 2 heal fight.

if your group wipes when she goes oom, you may have some problems her bubbles are covering up. you may want to ask her to save shell for certain fight breakpoints and to ease up on overshielding people who tend to die a lot. if they accidentally take avoidable damage and have shells they may not even know they are screwing up. SoO has fewer do or die mechanics, but there is a lot of movement involved in survival. dps and healers need to find a way to get a bit mobile.

I'd definitely echo what Kitsu said - if you can persuade your raid leader to purposefully 2-heal some fights, those DPS that need to improve on their "staying alive" ability will start to become clear. That's extremely important on Heroics smile.png

Good healers often carry DPS that take too much damage, and reducing the number of healers often throws up a lot of avoidable deaths.