FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Insindia

552 Frost Mage - Few Questions

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Insindia/advanced

Last Logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QmtWLTXn3ckf7AzB

I just came back to raiding in the last few weeks and my guild has assisted in getting me geared up for one of our 10 Man groups, in the last 2 weeks I managed to go from 513 to 552  with only doing a few raids. 

I reviewed my logs and see that my up-time on bombs as well as invokers could be higher and more consistent. Other than that I still think my dps/damage could be improved. 

My Questions

1. I received my 553 gloves & shoulders - is the 4 piece bonus worth downgrading from the 559 gloves and 566 shoulders, I've been reading that the bonus is crap for frost. 

2. Should I stay frost? I get conflicting opinions from different mages in my guild on when to go, some say if i can get 30% crit from gear, others not until 40% (self buffed) and one says not until I am in BIS. 

3. Other than the two things I mentioned, is there anything am I doing obviously wrong? Or things I should keep an eye out for? I know I need more practice but any tips would be appreciated. The 10 Man is relatively new so I want to make sure I am an asset to the team.

thanks smile.png

Hi there! Welcome back to raiding and nice going on the gearprogression! It`s great you`re aware of uptime on bomb and invocation, a lot of dps gets lost everyday from bad uptimes and it`s a shame. Think of all the african children with no deeps at all!

But really, it`s el importante and my best tips is to play around with some addons to help you track them. MageNuggets has one built in but is pretty basic, I personally like TellMeWhen, I know many love WeakAuras and NeedToKnow works fine too, test them out, find one for you and then customize it to your needs.

As for the question, 1: 4-piece isn`t any good for frost, I always take higher ilvl (more stats!) over 4-piece even though I have all five parts. I know someone are doing some looking into the 2-piece but I say use it, it will make you plan how to use Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost-procs better too!

Should you stay frost? The short answer is: If you want to. All specs are viable and you will do the best deeps and die the least in the spec you enjoy and play best. You can pull great numbers with all three specs, they have some strengths and weaknesses but there is little doubt you will do best in what you prefer. Maybe not the answer you wanted or at least are used to getting but that`s how it is nowadays (luckily!).

Number three I`ll leave to someone else, I`m embarrassing bad at reading logs.

Good luck and ask more questions if you can`t find the answers! 

• Like 1

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Insindia/advanced

Last Logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QmtWLTXn3ckf7AzB

I just came back to raiding in the last few weeks and my guild has assisted in getting me geared up for one of our 10 Man groups, in the last 2 weeks I managed to go from 513 to 552  with only doing a few raids. 

I reviewed my logs and see that my up-time on bombs as well as invokers could be higher and more consistent. Other than that I still think my dps/damage could be improved. 

My Questions

1. I received my 553 gloves & shoulders - is the 4 piece bonus worth downgrading from the 559 gloves and 566 shoulders, I've been reading that the bonus is crap for frost. 

2. Should I stay frost? I get conflicting opinions from different mages in my guild on when to go, some say if i can get 30% crit from gear, others not until 40% (self buffed) and one says not until I am in BIS. 

3. Other than the two things I mentioned, is there anything am I doing obviously wrong? Or things I should keep an eye out for? I know I need more practice but any tips would be appreciated. The 10 Man is relatively new so I want to make sure I am an asset to the team.

thanks smile.png

Hey there Insindia,

1. The second flowchart here should give you an answer to this: 

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/3678-akraens-comprehensive-guide-to-54-frost-pve-advanced/

If you don't have 1-2 warforged items, then you should keep the 4pc, otherwise you are free to drop it.

So, in your case you got a warforged gloves and a heroic (?) shoulders, so yep. I would drop the 4pc.

2pc is  a definite must have in most cases.

2. I can only aggree Narsha. All three specs are equal DPS. However, fire has high RNG: you MIGHT do awesome stuff or MIGHT do worse than anybody else around the world. (FYI we suggest 40% crit for it) Arcane is incredibily boring.... And that's all... And frost is, imo fun to play and stable DPS in all scenarios.

3. Looking at Malkorok, as it is a stable single target fight:

You trinkets. :D Try to get rid of them. BBoY is fine, but the other one should be replaced with PBoI as soon as possible. That is the best of best in slots in every difficulty versions.

Invoker's energy could easily be 97%, as well as the Living Bomb uptime, indeed.

You used Slow fall on Malkorok essentially wasting at least 1 GCD, and you let yourself fly up, sing a song while flying wasting precious frostbolts. You can use Blink to immediately arrive on the platform after you got knocked up.

You had 33 Brain Freeze procs, but you only spend 27 of them, which is 6 wasted procs.

You had 38 (!!) Ice Lance casts without Fingers of Frost proc (out of 85 total Ice Lance casts), which is baaaddd. Don't cast Ice lance without FoF proc! This tells me that you might be spamming Ice Lance, while moving?

Other than these your CD usage is fine, and you are the first mage who I see using Potion. I love you. :D

• Like 2

QJi8rdH.png

I strongly believe he wasted 6 instead of 2 Brain Freezes. Frozen thoughts is only granted when you spend a BF FFB, and he had 6 less Frozen thoughts than Brain freeze.

I'm showing that he gained 33 brain freezes total.

He hard cast 4 FFB (1 non-crit, 3 crit), so 27 FFB's of the 33 available were used.

That's why you see 27 Frozen Thoughts. My spreadsheet should create a value for the hard-cast not giving frozen thoughts, but it isn't that advanced (yet, I'm working on it). Because it's actually 33-27 = 6 properly wasted, I've been manually tweaking the DPS lost formula to add in the lost DPS from a non-crit.

So his DPS lost on the FFB's is about 4-6% lower than the actual number. I figure it's better to be nice while I'm still fine-tuning the analysis.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the great responses!

I do use MageNuggests and I just started getting into WeakAura’s – I think perhaps I need to make the animations bigger and the sound more annoying & perhaps that will help smile.png

I am very glad that all three specs are viable, I love frost and agree with Oltier that arcane is very boring, and since I’m most familiar and comfortable with frost it will definitely be a decrease if I switch to fire or arcane.  I am desperately trying to get new trinkets, specifically PBoI, I actually just received BBoY and replaced a 483 mogu'shan vaults trinket. 

Akraen – that chart is AMAZING! I love it! It’s very easy to understand. I do think I’m probably casting Ice Lance when moving instead of using Ice Floes appropriately, so I’ll make a note to work on this as well as my bomb and invokers up-time. I think I just use that when it gets crazy and I'm trying so hard not to die. 

Will that chart one day be made available so I could plug in my numbers once you have finalized your tweaks?

Thank you very much for taking the time out to review and assist wink.png  I appreciate it very much.

Edited by Insindia
  • Like 1

Hey Guys, 

Just wanted to say thank you for your helpful advice, I think I have made some significant improvements in my performance, there is still more work to be done but overall implementing your tips have helped. I went from 171k DPS on Malk to 210k last night, the only gear change being I finally got PBoI and my Legendary Meta.  

Keep up the good work smile.png

last nights logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/g8HvJwjNF24dMyqD#

Edited by Insindia
  • Like 2