FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tuskytoo

Alter time mechanics

Just wanting to make sure I'm using alter time correctly … I know that with brain freeze and ice lance procs, after alter time pops them back up for you you need to press them again to gain the benefit. However, it would seem that with icy veins, 'berserk' (troll ability), and 'synapse springs' (engineer iq buff) you don't need to press the buttons a second time after alter time 'pops', and that the duration of those effects will simply be extended by 6 seconds (a big clue here is that the button cds don't reset after alter time pops). Grateful if you would let me know if I'm on the right track here.

Cheers

Tuskytoo

Alter Time pops you back to your initial position and restores your health+mana+buffs+debuffs when either you press it again, or its 6 second duration runs out.

The second activation is only there so that you don't have to wait for the duration to expire. (For burst purposes).

It is recommended you don't activate it a second time, but instead keep on casting cause the second activation will reduce the benefit it provides by extending buff duration.  

Edited by Archimage

Thanks Archimage, your post makes sense and reflects what Alter Time is 'supposed' to do. This is my thing though. I press Alter Time (the first time), and icy veins has not been activated (no cooldown activated). After pressing Alter Time, I activate Icy Veins (Icy Veins cooldown now activated). In theory, when Alter Time 'pops' after 6 seconds, it should return you to the moment you first cast it, i.e: with the Icy Veins cooldown not activated (giving you a chance to press 'icy veins' a second time). In practice, however, I find that after Alter Time pops, the Icy Veins cooldown remains activated. I'm just assuming here that you do get that extra 6 seconds as promised, because you can't press Icy Veins a second time.

Tusky

Thanks Archimage, your post makes sense and reflects what Alter Time is 'supposed' to do. This is my thing though. I press Alter Time (the first time), and icy veins has not been activated (no cooldown activated). After pressing Alter Time, I activate Icy Veins (Icy Veins cooldown now activated). In theory, when Alter Time 'pops' after 6 seconds, it should return you to the moment you first cast it, i.e: with the Icy Veins cooldown not activated (giving you a chance to press 'icy veins' a second time). In practice, however, I find that after Alter Time pops, the Icy Veins cooldown remains activated. I'm just assuming here that you do get that extra 6 seconds as promised, because you can't press Icy Veins a second time.

Tusky

As he said before, Alter time only affects Buffs, debuffs, health, mana and location NOT CDs. Your CDs won't be reset, so you essentially wasted 14 seconds of your Icy Veins. Use Icy Veins and on use stuff BEFORE Alter Timing.

Thanks Oltier - you are completely right. I finally worked it out myself just after I made the post. I was indeed wasting a whole lot of buff time. Its about buffs not buttons ! This has naturally meant I have a nice dps increase (for those of us who can't get it right the first time).

cheers

Tusky