FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sethadon

Assassination **PvE** (MoP – 5.4.2)…

I’d appreciate some feedback on these. I’ve tested them, but not sure if they help or hinder DPS output…

TALENTS:

1. Shadow Focus
  2. Combat Readiness
  3. Elusiveness
  4. Shadowstep
  5. Paralytic Poison
  6. Anticipation

SINGLE TARGET:

/cast [stance:0] Stealth
/castsequence [nomod, combat] reset=0.5 0,0,0,0,Vendetta
/castsequence [nomod] reset=0.5 0,0,0,Mutilate
/castsequence [nomod, combat] reset=0.5 0,0,Dispatch
/castsequence [mod:ctrl, combat] reset=0.4 0,Rupture; [mod:alt] reset=0.5 0,Envenom
/castsequence reset=12 Slice and Dice, null
/cast Sprint
/cast [nomod, combat] Shadow Blades
/cast [nomod, combat] Combat Readiness
/cast [nomod, combat] Evasion
/cast [nomod, combat, @targettarget, help] Tricks of the Trade
/use [nomod, combat] Virmen's bite
/use [nomod, combat] 10
/use [nomod, combat] 13
/use [nomod, combat] 14
/startattack [combat]

MULTIPLE TARGETS:

/cast [stance:0] Stealth
/castsequence [nomod, combat] reset=0.5 0,0,0,0,Redirect
/castsequence [nomod, combat] reset=0.5 0,0,0,Vendetta
/castsequence [nomod] reset=0.5 0,0,Fan of Knives
/castsequence [mod:ctrl, combat] reset=0.4 0,Rupture; [mod:alt] reset=0.5 0,Envenom
/castsequence reset=12 Slice and Dice, null
/cast Sprint
/cast [nomod, combat] Shadow Blades
/cast [nomod, combat] Combat Readiness
/cast [nomod, combat] Evasion
/cast [nomod, combat, @targettarget, help] Tricks of the Trade
/use [nomod, combat] Virmen's bite
/use [nomod, combat] 10
/use [nomod, combat] 13
/use [nomod, combat] 14
/startattack [combat]

NOTE: These macros work well if you have an easy way to tell when to cast your next “finishing spell”. Personally, I use the Weakauras-2 addon to help me.

The CTRL key modifier will cast RUPTURE, and the ALT key modifier will cast ENVENOM.

Also, because the macros only try to fire SLICE AND DICE once, it’s a good idea to keybind that spell to another button on your action bar in case it falls off for some reason (ie. you didn’t refresh it in time with ENVENOM).

Let me know how things work out. icon_wink.gif

Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

Your talents are definitely in order, and the macro is certainly a very interesting way of looking at the core rogue rotation and abilities. Was your intent in creating the macro just to see if it worked, or to potentially use it as a raiding macro?

I like the lines concerning the core abilities; Slice and Dice, Mutilate, Dispatch, Rupture, Envenom and (partially) Tricks of the Trade. Laying those first four abilities into one modifiable button is a pretty efficient arrangement. Tricks of the Trade I would change to @focus so you can choose a strong DPS target instead of the tank.

I don't feel great about having offensive and defensive cooldowns on auto-cast all laid into one button. If you were definitely going to be sitting on one target that never forced you to stop DPS or change targets, it might be more feasible. However, most of the time these cooldowns are going to be used at different times and in different orders depending on the situation. If at the start of a fight you know you'll only be on your initial target for 15 seconds before having to switch, you won't want Vendetta on auto-cast. If you somehow pull aggro on a melee add, you will want your Evasion to be ready and waiting, not on cooldown because it is auto-casting.

I would suggest keeping the offensive/defensive cooldowns on different buttons and learning the best times to use them on any given fight.

If the macros work for you, then there's no real issue

I was never sure whether Sprint affected haste or just run speed, but the info on wowhead suggests it's only run speed, so there's not much need to use it except when you need it

I also change my opener depending on how many combo points I get from the first mutilate - 2 CP, I use SnD, with 3 I use Rupture. And then I use Shadow Blades and Vendetta once those are running, so that I'm not wasting energy and CP on getting Rupture and SnD up while Vendetta is active. I suppose you'll get a little more damage on Rupture ticks, but the damage is not much anyway; the main reason you want Rupture up all the time is for the energy regen from Venomous Wounds

As mentioned, using Evasion and Combat Readiness like that probably isn't going to be the best idea all the time. Granted, I'm not entirely sure how these macros work, but if each thing is cast (or attempted to be cast) in sequence, then having those two on CD when you might need them can be a problem. On a boss like Fallen Protectors, for example, you might get targeted by Anguish and having Evasion will let you tank it a little longer.

You can also use Virmen's Bite before combat starts, which will allow you to use another potion during the fight, which will give you a little boost to your DPS. And I try to avoid using Tricks too early because I set the highest DPS as my focus, and using it at the pull can be problematic if tanks haven't got aggro yet.

Also, Spoils of Pandaria could cause issues - I think LFR would be fine, but in Flex and above there are a couple of boxes which provide buffs once you kill the two Pandaren inside. They aren't up for long and you don't want to be using CDs for them because a large boss box will usually be opened straight after.

Generally speaking, I find it far very useful to have everything separate so that I can see when things are off CD (I suppose you can use WeakAuras for that, too, though) and I can use certain things as and when necessary. But that's what I'm used to, so that helps.

I don't know if Dispatch and Mutilate need to be changed in terms of their order, just to deal with Blindside procs. Unless I'm not understanding correctly, you will always cast Mutilate before trying to cast Dispatch, so if you get a Blindside proc you will still cast Mutilate

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

I totally agree with what you're saying about separating offensive / defensive spells.

I'm gonna give that a shot and see what I come up with. wink.png

Cheers! biggrin.png

Edited by Sethadon