FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Heelin

Disc priest gear/reforging/geming for SoO 10man. Am i doing it right?

Hi there!

I'm a fairly new Disc priest looking for ALOT of help in regards to my gear/reforging/geming. Now, i know I'm fairly under-geared at 547, but I'm being told i should be healing more in SoO 10mn raids.. I know it will have a bit to do with my play style as well, so i will be uploading logs when i complete my next raid, but for now, could someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong with my gear?!? Here is a link to my armory profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/H%C3%A9elin/simple

P.S I used Mr.Robot for a while but i am not too sure on how to set up the weights properly for a disc priest... So a bit of help with that would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks for your time!

Advanced link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/H%C3%A9elin/advanced

Chest should be stats

Try to get Blackfuse's trinket and get rid of Nazgrim's Insignial.  Like, even LFR blackfuse's trinket is better.  PPP and Samophlange are the only two trinkets disc should be using, if possible.

Never drop mastery, it's a good stat (weapon, ring2, feet)

Get your JC up and socket some 320 int gems =P

Your lack of legendary questline rewards is gonna hurt you a lot.  You need to get those done as soon as humanly possible. 

Get rid of that PW:Shield glyph IMO, it's one of the worst.  Get Penance to increase your maneuverability. 

No reason to use Mr Robot.  Use ReforgeLite addon instead and set your own stat priorities. 

Consider Power Word: Solace.

The rest seems good.

If you want to use AMR

Go load your char

Choose 'Max output build'

Hit 'Edit Weights' and set a Spirit cap at a comfortable level (I like 10k static spirit)

also set crit weight to 0.51 to make AMR use gems with crit instead of 'Brilliants' in red sockets

Hit 'Save'

Hit 'Optimized' and see what AMR does to your gear.

If you are serious get the legendary quests done as Brutalpriest said to get your meta gem and the cloak. AMR by default choses the healer meta but you might consider using the dps gem with crit stats and haste buff. Regarding the cloak there are many arguments for the dps one since the healer cloak is 'under performing' for the disc spec. (check out post #4 at LINK)

Just to stand on the shoulders of Brutalpriest:

The trinket - use even dps trinket instead since the proc won't heal much at all for disc.

Glyph of Penance - you won't be able to live without it from now on smile.png

Power Word: Solace gives more mana return (if used on every CD) than Mindbender but less dps.

Edited by Notoris
  • Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply! It's hard to act on changes when you don't have a second opinion, but you pretty much confirmed everything i was thinking! I will give PW:S, and the penance glyph a crack. I will also stop being lazy and get my JCing up >< I will be uploading my logs from 1st wing SoO within the next couple of days so if you could have a look over them for me i would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks again!!

I'm sorry to be contrary Notoris but I have to disagree with you in the strongest possible way in relation to the DPS trinket and L.metagem.  Metagem must must must be the healer one; free PW:Shields and Free t90 is a large factor of what lets disc priests skate by with 9000- spirit.  Also, the DPS trinket from Immersius, its proc does not work for disc priests, meaning the int alone from Blackfuse's Samophlange is better, and factoring in the mana regeneration it wins hands down. 

Heelin: I'd be glad to reevaluate you in a couple days.  When you're ready post a new armory link and maybe some Logs and we'll give it a look.

Don't use the dps metagem. It's utter and complete crap for healers. And what would you use it for anyway? Casting 2 more smites? All of your essential heals are on cooldowns and/or they are instant, neither of which scale with haste.

The healing metagem can be worth hundreds of thousands of mana over the course of a fight. Giving that up for a marginal increase to speed casts that relies on luck is simply not worth it.

Use whatever legendary cloak you want. Both are valid choices and in terms of healing throughput any difference is marginal and situational. The DPS cloak gives a little dps boost to the raid and 600 more crit rating at the loss of the healing proc, which can amount to quite some healing.

Change Mindbender with Power Word: Solace. It gives you more mana.

With no haste, Mindbender gives you 17.5% mana every minute.

PW:Solace gives you a raw 6%, an additional 10.8% accounting for the mana you don't have to use on HF, and then the mana you get from Shadowfiend which amounts to 24% mana every three minutes, or 8 per minute.

Totaling PW:Solace is worth 24.8% mana every minute in addition to a 100k heal, whereas mindbender ticks in at 17.5%.

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to be contrary Notoris but I have to disagree with you in the strongest possible way in relation to the DPS trinket and L.metagem.  Metagem must must must be the healer one; free PW:Shields and Free t90 is a large factor of what lets disc priests skate by with 9000- spirit.  Also, the DPS trinket from Immersius, its proc does not work for disc priests, meaning the int alone from Blackfuse's Samophlange is better, and factoring in the mana regeneration it wins hands down. 

Heelin: I'd be glad to reevaluate you in a couple days.  When you're ready post a new armory link and maybe some Logs and we'll give it a look.

I don't disagree with the trinket. I was talking about Nazgrim's Burnished Insignia which is rubbish. About the meta gem you are right it saves a lot of mana if you use expensive spells at procs. And I myself maybe should go lower than 10k spirit and change meta. I just didn't have mana issues with 10k and I have a dislike for rando procs as healer :)

One of the other mods was kind enough to sticky a WeakAura of mine that helps you notice when the legendary metagem procs (and uh... you'll know when it goes off lol)  I recommend use of that to get the most out of your L.meta.

Maximizing the tools we have available to Disc, for one reason or another gets missed by a lot of OPs in this forum.  The same thing can be said about maximizing any class, yes I know.  Until we get your logs make a focused effort to track your LMG, Rapture, and your toolkit CD's (AA, SS, IF, PoM).  Just finding a comfortable way to keep those under control will allow those that help out on your thread focus on really getting the most out of your fairly new Disc!  Good luck on your next run and look forward to seeing some logs.

PS:  I use both cloaks depending on raid size and encounter.  I prefer the DPS cloak but there are encounters where I choose the Healing cloak and there is a little trick that I use to proc it.  Binding heal instead of Flash Heal, glyphed or not is a different argument.  But if you like the feel of the Healing cloak, whether it be the proc, the spirit, (remember that it also increases your healing 5% for 10sec on top of the proc)...  replace your mouseover or click/keybind from Flash Heal to Binding Heal and you'll in some cases, triple the output of the proc.  On my 10HM encounters that I use the cloak I get a 20-25% uptime after the change where I was about 6% beforehand.  On my 25HM encounters I use the healing cloak more often than 10m because there are more chances to proc it and I doubled my proc uptime in those cases. 

Definitely take the Healing Meta, that has been covered. Keep an eye on those CD's by any means necessary! 

GL

Edited by Gwenymph

PS:  I use both cloaks depending on raid size and encounter.  I prefer the DPS cloak but there are encounters where I choose the Healing cloak and there is a little trick that I use to proc it.  

Please enlighten me! 

Please enlighten me!

Sorry, I didn't phrase it properly. The way I used to increase the cloak proc was using more Binding Heal.

Binding heal instead of Flash Heal, glyphed or not is a different argument. ... replace your mouseover or click/keybind from Flash Heal to Binding Heal and you'll in some cases, triple the output of the proc. On my 10HM encounters that I use the cloak I get a 20-25% uptime after the change where I was about 6% beforehand. On my 25HM encounters I use the healing cloak more often than 10m because there are more chances to proc it and I doubled my proc uptime in those cases.

I hope the edit is clearer, I'll fix the original post in a minute.

Edited by Gwenymph

Sorry to ask, but why would you use flash heal at all?
If someone is low, you can use PW:S and Penance, if they already got a shield and are low, you can voidshift them or wait till your default smiting gets them. If you can´t voidshift them, because you are low too, binding heal would be the heal to go for. If the whole group suffers significant damage, PoH/PoM etc. 
There is actually no case I can see except tank shielding prepull, where flash heal is the "best" option.

Though I myself use the healing cloak, I did not found it to be that low. Proc uptime range from 11-23.3 % in my latest logs, which equals 14,75% over all fights. Could it be that the multistrike proc of Nazgrims triggers the cloak?(I use Nazgrims because nothing else drops -.- and I´m on a time schedule too short to run LFR/Flex)

The uptime on the cloak should be about 13.5% on average given its 0.81 PPM at 10 seconds uptime.

What matters is how much healing it will end up doing and compare that to the net gains of the DPS cloak.

Remember that atonement and absorbs don't interact with it, which means more than 50% of your healing won't interact with the cloak proc, this is what leaves the healing cloak undesired by many disc priests.

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

Sorry to ask, but why would you use flash heal at all?

If someone is low, you can use PW:S and Penance, if they already got a shield and are low, you can voidshift them or wait till your default smiting gets them. If you can´t voidshift them, because you are low too, binding heal would be the heal to go for. If the whole group suffers significant damage, PoH/PoM etc. 

There is actually no case I can see except tank shielding prepull, where flash heal is the "best" option.

Though I myself use the healing cloak, I did not found it to be that low. Proc uptime range from 11-23.3 % in my latest logs, which equals 14,75% over all fights. Could it be that the multistrike proc of Nazgrims triggers the cloak?(I use Nazgrims because nothing else drops -.- and I´m on a time schedule too short to run LFR/Flex)

Yea, I mention to most OPs to stay away from Flash Heal but some habits are hard to break as some heads are too thick to penetrate. So I just try to work it in as a suggestion when relevant.

Flash heal is an 'okay' thing to use during progression when everyone's still learning the fight and taking spike damage.  Your go-to should be Shield or Penance, but sometimes everything else is on cooldown and you're forced to use Flash Heal.  Better than that person dieing.  Hopefully by the time the boss is defeated, everyone knows what they're doing and you aren't using Flash Heal anymore.

The average uptime is as Steve calculates 13,5%. And it's not hard to reach a good uptime if you throw a renew, Penance, your T90, PoM or PoH here and there. And maybe the trinket you mention even helps too. But you can't 'force' a higher uptime using more spells. It is random with 13,5% as average. If you get higher you are lucky. If you get lower you are unlucky (or not using healing spells) smile.png

The 'problem' (in my opinion) with this proc and discs is that most of your healing (80%) doesn't overheal since it's shielding/atonement which the cloak can't spread out. Additionally it only procs (on average) once pr. 48,6 secs for 10 secs and you can't rely on it being at the exact time when you spam PoH or your T90 and need overhealing redistributed. If you look at disc logs less than 3% healing done by proc is not uncommon.

The 5% extra healing is ok I guess but it pops when it wants to and not when you need it to. You might not even notice it. I know I don't.

Edited by Notoris
  • Like 1

Wanted to check in.  I'm realizing more that what I start writing in my head does not make it clearly on to the forum early in the morning.  I should have coffee first before posting.  I was suggesting Binding Heal as a way to get more out of your healing proc.  That sentence ended and I started another thought concerning the actual uptime of the buff.  95% of the time when I'm choosing to take the healing cloak over the dps is because i know that there will be more overhealing and I can proc the healing effect more w/ binding heal.  Ie: Cloak procs, assuming normal rotation won't be affected for inc dmg prep drop, Binding Heals.  Encounters: Imm, Sha, Gala.  Just a preference and those are the ones where I see a significant increase in the effective heals of the healing cloak.  Otherwise, I'm a sheep and fall under the DPS>Heal Legendary Cloak.

I had coffee first this time.

And I didn't mean to get you on your defenses. If you use Binding heals you might get more out of the healer cloak and that's a good thing. Also means something if you are comfortable using other spells than what is preached. It's easy to forget that everything about this game is not all about numbers.

• Like 1

And I didn't mean to get you on your defenses. If you use Binding heals you might get more out of the healer cloak and that's a good thing. Also means something if you are comfortable using other spells than what is preached. It's easy to forget that everything about this game is not all about numbers.

Not at all.  I just have a habit of rereading my previous posts when the thread gets a reply.  And in this case, some things don't sound as clear at 10am as they did at 9am.  I try to be as clear as possible, would hate to make things more clouded for any OP.

Edited by Gwenymph

If you use Binding heals you might get more out of the healer cloak and that's a good thing. Also means something if you are comfortable using other spells than what is preached. It's easy to forget that everything about this game is not all about numbers.

Ultimately you should use whatever spell make sense to use using the healer or metagem proc and it can be hard if not impossible to quantify satisfactorily. Using two BH under the metagem proc instead of one PoH 'saves' you 30k more mana and the total healing is similarly higher than a single PoH. But what matters is the actual healing you would be doing.

If say you have a spell that couldn't crit and would be a 100% overheal, using that spell under the metagem would still be a waste even if it didn't actually cost mana since you would pay the opportunity cost of whatever you could have cast instead.

Casting BH under the metagem is perfectly viable since it has the chance to generate DA even if it overheals. With the glyph it even gives you a chance for an additional shield(six targets vs PoH's 5), the heal is however limited to you, two controlled and 2 random targets. You can't use it to reliably heal the soaking group on paragons for example or a group that needs healing on a fight like norushen. You also have to look at the opportunity cost of using either BH or PoH instead of PWS that is more reliable shielding and has its utility too, and still nets a decent chunk of mana, especially if you can proc rapture from it too.

The thing to take away from this is that to use your metagem proc optimally you need to understand the situation at hand as well as being able to use your toolkit fully.

Edited by steve