FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyCracker

Haste gems over Int gems for SPriests?

Hello!

I was browsing the armory links of other SPriests and noticed that many people choose to put orange gems (int+haste) in red sockets instead of pure red int gems. This got me a bit confused, given that general spreist gearing philosphy is Int>everything else, and so I decided to post those questions. Is putting mixed gems recommendable? Is reaching the 1st haste breakpoint more important than stacking as much int as possible? Or should pure int gems always be a priority?

This is my first post on this forum so please be kind if I did anything wrong ^^ Other than that just wanted to say that this is a great site and thank you for you answers :)

You're in the right place, and welcome to Icy-Veins.

Haste has a much higher value than Int, and has for the entire expansion, mostly because of the way that your DoTs are affected by it.  You definitely want to do Int/Haste in red, Haste in yellow, and Spirit/Haste in blue (if you can use the hit.)  Stat ratings can thrown off a bit, because they're usually shown as:

1 Int > 1 Haste > 1 Mastery > 1 Crit

where are it's really:

2 Haste > 2 Mastery > 2 Crit > 1 Int

Since gems have 2 secondaries for every 1 int, the secondary stat gems have significantly more value.

Take a look at the Priest guide here for more info:

https://www.icy-veins.com/shadow-priest-wow-pve-dps-gems-enchants-professions-consumables

Or plug your character into AskMrRobot.com and ask it to help you optimize.

Edited by Hybrys

You're in the right place, and welcome to Icy-Veins.

Haste has a much higher value than Int, and has for the entire expansion, mostly because of the way that your DoTs are affected by it.  You definitely want to do Int/Haste in red, Haste in yellow, and Spirit/Haste in blue (if you can use the hit.)  Stat ratings can thrown off a bit, because they're usually shown as:

1 Int > 1 Haste > 1 Mastery > 1 Crit

where are it's really:

2 Haste > 2 Mastery > 2 Crit > 1 Int

Since gems have 2 secondaries for every 1 int, the secondary stat gems have significantly more value.

Take a look at the Priest guide here for more info:

https://www.icy-veins.com/shadow-priest-wow-pve-dps-gems-enchants-professions-consumables

Or plug your character into AskMrRobot.com and ask it to help you optimize.

Thank you very much for your reply! ^^ I assume that after reaching the 2nd Haste breakpoint, stacking any more Haste through gems or any other means is not necessary, right?

Thank you very much for your reply! ^^ I assume that after reaching the 2nd Haste breakpoint, stacking any more Haste through gems or any other means is not necessary, right?

There are two distinct builds for Shadow Priests right now. One is stopping at ~41.75% Haste, which gives you the majority of your important breakpoint.

The other is stopping at 50%, which is the point at which your instant spells and the GCD can no longer become faster, along with the 3rd tick of Vampiric Touch.

It's overall undecided which is better, but until you're moderately heroic T16 geared, I'd suggest aiming for the 41.75% build, then going with int and crit or mastery gems. This build is also the default in on AskMrRobot.

if you have enough gear without hit on it, you can gem wickeds (expertise/haste) and then reforge hit away to haste.