FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vixxa

Prot, can barely do timeless isle

So i ordered WoD a boosted a paladin to 90. I know prot pallys shouldnt be doing high dps but it takes me forever to kill anything. I literally do no damage. The turtles can get in about 4 shell spin's before i can take it down, Is this normal? Yes i have crap gear. Can't bare the timeless isle because how long it takes to kill anything and in LFR I dont keep aggro so i cant get better gear any way.

Anyone have any idea how i can improve? 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Livius/advanced

It is pretty normal; all of the tanks have pretty low damage without Vengeance, and Paladin is probably the worst.

That being said, there are three Glyphs that help a substantial amount.

Glyph of the Alabaster Shield - Amazing damage increase.  Used 95% of the time.

Glyph of Focused Shield - Increases your single target at a cost of AoE.  Used a lot.

Glyph of Final Wrath - Gives you a bit of an execute.  Isn't used a lot.

You'll also want to make sure you're doing the correct rotation.  It's changed a few times since 5.0, and it's dramatically different from before then.

• Like 1

Tank damage, especially at low gear levels, is almost entirely based on vengeance.  If you aren't geared enough to survive pulling a dozen mobs (which on TI can actually get pretty rough) you can't get enough vengeance to do real damage to people.  I generally farm anything without a lethal attack (i.e. Ordon Yaungol with ground effects) in groups so as to take advantage of AoE and survivability; dps AoE is still better, but they have greater trouble fighting 20 cranes at once than you should.

As for getting better gear, the crafted belt and legs are 553 and will give you an enormous boost to both survivability and damage, and you can get a huge amount of Timeless gear by running around grabbing the various chests and just tagging elites with people.  For the Timeless Isle, you can also probably group up without much issue and let other people kill stuff while you face it away from them; just stay alive and let them do the work.  You can technically kill most of the higher level Yaungol with a naked toon because a lot of them have 100% avoidable damage, so you just need to keep aggro (easily doable vs dps, taunt on CD if you have to) and watch your footwork.

Also, you don't really need to keep aggro in LFR as long as the other tank has it.  If you taunt and they out-threat you to the point of retaking the boss and being unable to drop stacks, that's much more their fault than yours.  Not to mention that if you get in a run with an SoO-geared tank, they can probably solo anything less than SoO LFR (and a number of those anyway), so it doesn't matter there either.  If you can't keep aggro off dps, just checking, but you are using Righteous Fury, right?  (I'm guilty of forgetting Blood Presence a lot, it happens.  At least those two can be easily checked by other people, harder to see if Defensive Stance is up for warriors.)

Good luck, and I hope that helped!

Edited by SparkSovereign
  • Like 1

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try out Glyph of Focused Shield and Final wrath. Don't have them on as we speak.

My rotation is - Crusaders Strike > Judgement > Avenger's Shield > Lights Hammer > Holy Wrath > Hammer of Wrath (if below 20%) > Consecration. 

I

Tank damage, especially at low gear levels, is almost entirely based on vengeance.  If you aren't geared enough to survive pulling a dozen mobs (which on TI can actually get pretty rough) you can't get enough vengeance to do real damage to people.  I generally farm anything without a lethal attack (i.e. Ordon Yaungol with ground effects) in groups so as to take advantage of AoE and survivability; dps AoE is still better, but they have greater trouble fighting 20 cranes at once than you should.

As for getting better gear, the crafted belt and legs are 553 and will give you an enormous boost to both survivability and damage, and you can get a huge amount of Timeless gear by running around grabbing the various chests and just tagging elites with people.  For the Timeless Isle, you can also probably group up without much issue and let other people kill stuff while you face it away from them; just stay alive and let them do the work.  You can technically kill most of the higher level Yaungol with a naked toon because a lot of them have 100% avoidable damage, so you just need to keep aggro (easily doable vs dps, taunt on CD if you have to) and watch your footwork.

Also, you don't really need to keep aggro in LFR as long as the other tank has it.  If you taunt and they out-threat you to the point of retaking the boss and being unable to drop stacks, that's much more their fault than yours.  Not to mention that if you get in a run with an SoO-geared tank, they can probably solo anything less than SoO LFR (and a number of those anyway), so it doesn't matter their either.  If you can't keep aggro off dps, just checking, but you are using Righteous Fury, right?  (I'm guilty of forgetting Blood Presence a lot, it happens.  At least those two can be easily checked by other people, harder to see if Defensive Stance is up for warriors.)

Good luck, and I hope that helped!

Thanks for the reply, My survivability is amazing can round up quite a few and survive easily. It's killing them that the problem aha. Guess i'll just have to group up with people :P  And yes Righteous fury is always on :) 

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try out Glyph of Focused Shield and Final wrath. Don't have them on as we speak.

My rotation is - Crusaders Strike > Judgement > Avenger's Shield > Lights Hammer > Holy Wrath > Hammer of Wrath (if below 20%) > Consecration. 

I

Priority, not rotation! ;P

• Like 1

If you're on single target, bump Holy Wrath over Light's Hammer. If you're AoEing, replace Crusader Strike with Hammer of the Righteous

• Like 1