FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Halliday

Request Gear Advice (Shadow)

My armory, normal suit with T16 2pc

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/whisperwind/Halliday/simple

I could get T16 4pc by:

* replace 567 Shay-Nii's Popping Shouldpads (warforged, 2/4 at the moment) with RF Tier shoulders (528 with possible +16)

* replace 575 Shipley's Shady Silks (warforged, 4/4) with Normal Tier legs (553 with possible +16).

* replace 575 Ulmaas's Robes (warforged, 4/4) with RF Tier chest (536, 2/4 at the moment)

So my request for advice is...

should I a) stick with my current suit, or b) switch to the 4pc (and if so, which pieces)?

I'm uncertain since the ilvl hit on the shoulders and chest is pretty drastic when switching to RF pieces.

And yes I realize I'm over hitcap - after settling this question I'm going to go back over my inventory and see what other pieces I can replace with non-hit-non-spirit items.

Thanks in advance

-H

It's a pretty big ilvl hit, at least 20 on any piece.  I wouldn't do it, but lets look into it a little bit.

Lets say the boss isn't in execute range.  That means you DP every 16 seconds.  So, every 16 seconds the damage of your Mind Blast is increased by 60%.  If your Mind Blast is averaging 300k per hit, that's a 180k increase every 16 seconds, or an 11.25k DPS increase.  If your Mind Blast is averaging 250k per hit, that a 150k increase every 16 seconds, or a 9.38k DPS increase.

You're also using Flay: Insanity for the next ~7-8 seconds after a DP, so you have to make sure the buff doesn't fall in the mean time, which could happen if you had to refresh Pain/Touch after Insanity.

TL;DR, napkin math says that 4pc is valued around 10k DPS.  I think the 20 ilvls are worth more than 10k DPS.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've kept the pieces, and sidegraded a few others for a better stat selection.  The total improvement is incremental at best, but cest la vie.

Hybrys gave you some good advice. the only other thing i can see is your crit is a bit low. crit and mastory should be close to each other. that will up you dps a bit.

the 4 pc is fun to game with death because the crits are pretty huge, but it i dont think its worth losing more than 11 ilvl. if a token would go to off spec grab it, but let other ppl get their tier first and just cross your fingers for black blood.