FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Frozen

LF help becoming a better mage and doing more damage. (Heroic raider + logs included)

I've only been playing WoW for just over 1 year and only 6 of those months have been on my mage. Took me 3 months or so to learn the class, gear up and start raiding normal's. Now after 4 months of raiding i've managed to down 14/14n and 10/14h. But i've run into the problem that my dps is shit compared to every other class my ilvl. I'm having trouble breaking through and completely mastering a frost mage. Tbh at this point i don't know what else i can do to improve. Many hours have been spent on MMO champ, Icy veins and Noxxic and i'm still not totally understanding what i'm doing wrong.

I do have heroic logs which can be found HERE (My character name is "Frozen")

My character armory can be found HERE

Any help is much appreciated!

Shit just typed out a sick reply then my browser fucked up and dogged me out of the post. fml.

Your LB+Invo uptimes are very good so no problems there.

The first thing that stands out to me is 48 Brain Freeze procs but you only casted it 26 times. This means you are wasting almost half of your BF procs. For Ice Lance you casted it 39 times even though you only had 29 procs. That's 10 wasted GCDs right there. 

You used IV twice in the fight but it says you only gained the buff once, what this means is you casted your first IV before the pull. Also your AT was very late and you didn't get the best out of it. Even though your PBoI and everything had procced, you still delayed AT meaning you didn't get the max extension on ktt/meta.

This says to me you need to work on your opener and reactions for sure. My opener has changed around quite a bit during this tier but I'm pretty confident I have an optimal opener that aims to eliminate all RNG. Here's what I do on Malk/IJ:

-4.5: Evo

-2.5: Mirror Image

-1.5: Pre pot frostbolt

-0: Frozen Orb + counterspell

1: Living Bomb

2: Icy Veins and frostbolt

At this point 3 things can happen and what you do next depends on the outcome:

1. PBoI procced right away, press AT and nuuuuuke

2. PBoI didn't proc, cast frostbolt to 5 icicles then if PBoI procced use AT

3. PBoI doesn't proc, just give up and walk away from the computer

As for your stats atm, your'e losing a lot of dps for your ilvl by no hc pboi/hc wep, also you should drop down to 14242 haste or lower due to your FFB proc wastage.

• Like 1

That Frozen Orb+Counterspell in the opener is just genius!

if u do less dps than guys with same ilvl, that might be cuz u have normal weapon and normal PboI. Be aware thats ur most important dps boost items. 

Don't you need the Glyph though to make counterspell off the GCD?

No the glyph makes counterspell usable whilst casting. It's off the GCD by default.

why use Counterspell on open?

Because PBoI triggers from every harmful spell. Counterspell is a harmful spell and is off GCD thus, it's more than worth to use it in your opener to get a higher chance of proccing PBoI. I would probably even use it before every Alter Time as well.

Because PBoI triggers from every harmful spell. Counterspell is a harmful spell and is off GCD thus, it's more than worth to use it in your opener to get a higher chance of proccing PBoI. I would probably even use it before every Alter Time as well.

Ohh I see now. Nice! thanks.

We concluded Counterspell doesn´t work. It only works if you can actually silence the target as the silence is what triggers the effect. Go to a HC dummy and a low level dummy. Spam counterspell 50 times on the one and 1 on the other. 50 times you ain´t getting a proc. 1 time on the low level and you proc all.

We concluded Counterspell doesn´t work. It only works if you can actually silence the target as the silence is what triggers the effect. Go to a HC dummy and a low level dummy. Spam counterspell 50 times on the one and 1 on the other. 50 times you ain´t getting a proc. 1 time on the low level and you proc all.

Mmm lets drop that portable training dummy in a raid. I wonder if it's silencable...

OR, that kickable marmot.. :D