FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kodeine

[Ret] Logs analysis

Have taken a look on Protectors fight.

Paulatina died midfight so it's not the ideal source but i will try my best:

- There is a huge gap in spell_paladin_inquisition.jpgInquisition uptime.

- On a multitarget fight ability_paladin_divinestorm.jpgDivine Storm should be used instead of spell_paladin_templarsverdict.jpgTemplar's Verdict if there are 2+ targets in range. Ret 4p bonus comes in very handy and could be a massive dmg boost.

- spell_paladin_executionsentence.jpgExecution Sentence should be used with boosts (e.g. 12 stacks of ability_paladin_blessedhands.jpgAncient Power, STR trinket procs, potions, ...).

Just my two cents ...

Edit: Maybe Paulatina should get rid of some hit (gems).

Edited by LobbyBoy

Firstly: Your gemming. You have the right gems in them, but you placed them in the wrong sockets and lost the socket bonuses. Make sure to put your red in red, blue in blue and yellow in yellow. The pieces in question are your chest and your belt, which are worth the socket bonus for the wasted hit, but at the same time... you literally threw away free stats.

Secondly, your 3rd glyph provides no PvE benefit, I would suggest getting Glyph of Inquisition, which increases the duration of Inquisition if you land a killing blow. This could save you some holy power in a fight, though it would be minimal. You could also pick up something for survivability such as Glyph of Divine Storm. Also for AoE fights I suggest Glyph of Exorcism, since it allows you to AoE, but you cant use Exorcism at range.

Next, things I see wrong on the log:

Note: The first thing I did was scale it down to only look at the time you were alive.

During the Fallen Protectors kill that was linked, Judgment usage was fairly good, however Crusader Strike/Hammer of the Righteous usage was very low. The key thing to remember as a Ret paladin is that you are always gaining or spending holy power. Things with shorter cooldowns are more valuable, since they will be active again sooner to use again. That's why the priority list for Ret is as follows:

1. Keep up wow_icon_spell_paladin_inquisition.jpgInquisition (ideally with 3 Holy Power).
  2. Cast wow_icon_spell_paladin_templarsverdict.jTemplar's Verdict (when you have 5 Holy Power). (2+ Targets: Replace with Divine Storm)
  3. Cast wow_icon_spell_paladin_executionsentenceExecution Sentence.
  4. Cast wow_icon_spell_paladin_hammerofwrath.jpgHammer of Wrath on cooldown (It is only available when the target is below 20% health or when wow_icon_spell_holy_avenginewrath.jpgAvenging Wrath is active.)
  5. Cast wow_icon_spell_holy_crusaderstrike.jpgCrusader Strike on cooldown (it generates Holy Power). (2+ Targets: Replace with Hammer of the Righteous)
  6. Cast wow_icon_spell_holy_righteousfury.jpgJudgment on cooldown (it generates Holy Power).
  7. Cast wow_icon_ability_paladin_divinestorm.jpgDivine Storm if you have the 4-Part Tier 16 Set Bonus, and you have a Divine Storm proc from it.
  8. Cast wow_icon_spell_holy_excorcism_02.jpgExorcism on cooldown (it generates Holy Power).
  9. Cast wow_icon_spell_paladin_templarsverdict.jTemplar's Verdict (when you have 3 Holy Power). (2+ Targets: Replace with Divine Storm)

Another thing I see is that there seems to be a lack of Holy Power spenders being used throughout the fight. Only 4 Divine Storms were used on a semi AoE fight, but more importantly, there's a 40 second gap where TV and DS are not used.

Here's the graph of Holy Power Generators being cast to gain holy power:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6nb38Q7yTcqZvGH9/#source=2&fight=6&type=casts&start=3233238&end=3483055

You can click the 4 spenders that are highlighted in the list of abilities to turn on and off their visibility on the graph, this should help you see what I'm talking about. Judgment sees consistent usage, but the other 3 generators are very sporadic and unused.

Here's the graph of Holy Power Spenders being cast to use holy power:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6nb38Q7yTcqZvGH9/#source=2&fight=6&type=casts&start=3233238&end=3483055

You seem to use Inquisition on weird intervals, make sure its used with 3 holy power near when it is wearing off so that you can properly use your holy power. You can see in this next link that you also lost a fair amount of uptime on Inquisition, which hurt your damage a fair amount:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6nb38Q7yTcqZvGH9/#fight=6&type=auras&start=3233238&end=3475303&source=2&pins=0%24Main%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24101691108.0.0.Paladin%24false%2484963

Overall

I think the biggest issue you are having is making sure you know your rotation. Perhaps you could rework your action bars as a friendly reminder, that way the most commonly used abilities such as Crusader Strike and Judgment are on your most used keys, along with a common spender like Templar's Verdict nearby, then have exorcism/hammer of wrath also equally accessible, and Divine Storm around TV so that you can use if when you want to AoE.

• Like 3

It's also important to realize that one fights such as protectors, AoE is where the numbers will come from, and with ret paladins AoE dps is an art of its own. It's not just spamming DS, it's also maintaining SoT on targets that will spend a lot of time alive and keeping it up. 

It's also a lot to do with strat, if your guild isn't stacking and cleaving everything down, a ret paladin will suffer. 

• Like 1

I thought keeping Exo on cooldown was the highest priority HP gen to keep from wasting Art of War procs?  Can I get a quick explanation of why that isn't true?

Because to be true and simple, exo sucks, it's weak, does very little damage and has a long cd compared to other HP generators. I think the only time I would prioritize exo is with it glyphed for aoe on aoe fights. At low levels exo is very powerful, but when you hit 90 and start to go more for haste gemming over pure strength (as you would with pre raiding and such) it starts to become less of a priority.

To elaborate on the CD thing: using the shortest CD spells is often the best, due to maximizing the amount of holy power you can get.

• Like 1

Lol, when I run sims on my pally (541 ilvl), DPET in order: Execution Sentence, HoW, TV, Exo, Judgment, CS

(Judge/Exo are practically identical)

='[

Edited by widdarr

You're looking solely at DPET, you're not considering how many casts are you getting off to allow better holy power which allows more TV/DS. Thats why CS/Judge > Exo always.