FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cursednitro

Assassination Rogue DPS Question

Greetings all.

I retired wow for a really long time, and with alot of friends we started playing again.

So I created a rogue, and I like to play a Assassination  rogue.

Now I used the Icy-Veins "Assassination Rogue DPS Spec, Builds, Talents, and Glyphs (WoD 6.0.3)". 

I almost got full heroic gear cause we do mainly dungeons etc. ( Also doing all the quests. ) I use the rotation mentioned on the website, and really dont know what im doing wrong my dps will not get higher then 10-13k.

Can someone explain me what im doing wrong? Or is it just that assasination rogue doesnt have that high dps atm?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Cursednitro/simple

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Nitro

Edited by Cursednitro

Any chance you can provide Logs? Going to warcraftlogs.com and uploading an example fight for me to take a look at would be massively helpful rather than trying to give unspecific advice. 

2 quick things:

1. You should run Shadow Focus as your t15 talent
  2. Glyph of Disappearance is mandatory. Constant Vanishes during fights for a low cost Ambush are essential

@Carrn

I will make a warlog when I get home today.

Also I will try those tips out, but do you use Ambush while you get out of Stealth?

Edited by Cursednitro

Afaik, using Ambush and Mutilate is effectively the same thing - the only difference is that Mut has a chance to proc Dispatch.

I tend to press Ambush only because I play Sub normally and it's more instinctive for me, but Mutilate has a chance to pay off more.

I'm going to point out that shadow focus is only like a 2% increase over venom rush, and the ambush thingy is a similar increase iirc. If you're only doing 10k with that gear, you're more likely not doing the basic rotation or buff management right. Make sure you have anticipation, use finishers on 5 combo points.

Keep rupture up, and once it is at <8s left you can refresh it without losing time on it. Your other bug buff is envenom, try to wait till you have <1.8s left on the buff to use it again. If you're at 5cp with a blindside proc, wait till you use envenom to use dispatch. Make sure at 35% to switch from mutilate to dispatch, it does a ton more damage even though you'll have less combo points.

With your gear on a single target you should be able to pull 16k+ pretty easily even without super tight optimizations. When you get in multi-target fights, just rotate through them putting 5pt ruptures down.

I'm going to point out that shadow focus is only like a 2% increase over venom rush, and the ambush thingy is a similar increase iirc

These 2 talents aren't in the same tier. I assume that you mean Venom Rush and SR, but I could be mistaken. 2% is a lot of damage though. What "ambush thingy" are you talking about?

If you're only doing 10k with that gear, you're more likely not doing the basic rotation or buff management right. Make sure you have anticipation, use finishers on 5 combo points.

Keep rupture up, and once it is at <8s left you can refresh it without losing time on it. Your other bug buff is envenom, try to wait till you have <1.8s left on the buff to use it again. If you're at 5cp with a blindside proc, wait till you use envenom to use dispatch. Make sure at 35% to switch from mutilate to dispatch, it does a ton more damage even though you'll have less combo points.

This is exactly why I asked for Logs, because without them I can't see exactly what he's doing. I can only give general advice such as talent & glyph changes without them, and hopefully with more frequent Vanish usage with the changes I suggested it will pull his damage up a good amount.

At the moment im doing arround 13-14k with your tips in heroics. ( So it's getting better... ) Still not getting that 16k+ your saying...

I always open with Shadowstep - Mutilate ( blindside if proc )

5 CP - Rupture

Below 35% Dispatch

5CP Evenom ( If rupture is longer then 8s )

Can you tell me how I copy this Combat logs? Is it like a addon or something?

Thanks alot for the info so far !

Edited by Cursednitro

13-14k in HCs sounds about right. 16k is probably from Shadowcraft, which is with full raid buffs, food buff, flask buff, and using a combat potion. It simulates a "perfect" fight; single-target, tank 'n' spank. No movement and no downtime, performing a perfect rotation.

With movement, some time out of melee range, a few interrupts and stuns, 13-14k is decent enough, imo.

Using mutilate from stealth is about the same as ambush in terms of damage, but mutilate attacks with both weapons, so you have more chance to crit (for Seal Fate), more chance to proc poisons, and more chance to proc other on-hit effects. As well as the chance for blindside. On average, it works out better.

You can start combat logs by typing /combatlog in your chat window. It will tell you where it saves the log, and you can upload them to various places. Warcraft logs is a good place. There's a client you can download.

Falcifer is correct. I believe you need to enable advanced combat logging to do so though

Is assassination rogue so low like this web says? http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings sad.png

This is my first time in Wow, i chose this spec and im a bit dissapointed. This is my gear (very low) http://eu.battle.net/wow/es/character/tyrande/Kialeena/simple

I'm doing about 11k dps at 2 million damage to the "dummy". Is it ok with my current gear? Any advice to improve?

Thanks! 

Edited by Servasky

Is assassination rogue so low like this web says? http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings sad.png

This is my first time in Wow, i chose this spec and im a bit dissapointed. This is my gear (very low) http://eu.battle.net/wow/es/character/tyrande/Kialeena/simple

I'm doing about 11k dps at 2 million damage to the "dummy". Is it ok with my current gear? Any advice to improve?

Thanks! 

Again, it's hard to give advice about what you can do to improve specifically without the ability to look at logs. 

I don't think that Assassination is that bad, but simply due to how easy it is, it tends to do less damage than other specs. It doesn't need to reward you for skilled play, which Sub does (just as an example).

The biggest thing that I can see to improve with your character is your gear, and that happens with time. Glyph of Energy is nice and might get you some small improvements, but other than that I think you're probably doing fine

Well my DPS is getting better each day.

Best tip I got so far what increased my dps alot, was when 3-4 mobs attacking 1 getting 5 cp and using rupture and moving on to the next.

Doing 14-16K dps at the moment.

I do notice if you want to do massive ammounts of damage dont go assasination I guess.

But its fun to play.

Tommorow we start raiding lets see where we can get !

Edited by Cursednitro

Im getting confused now...

Ice Veins >

1. Agility;
  2. Mastery = Critical Strike;
  3. Versatility = Multistrike;
  4. Haste.

Noxxic >

Agility > Multistrike >= Crit = Mastery > Versatility > Haste

Also Shadowcraft give's me the suggestion to load Multistrike enchants etc.

Can someone explain me why both site's give different priority.

After about 2 years of testing both website guides ... Icyveins and Noxxic, i can tell that Icyveins was always the better choice to me. Was more up to date and i had better results ingame.

I would stick with Mastery. You're a poison rogue and mastery increases your poison damage.

Typically Noxxic tends to not be as up-to-date as other websites, so I'd stay away from that

Shadowcraft is updated the most frequently and will also take into account your current gear level and what will give you the most benefit. If it's telling you to go with Multistrike enchants, you might have really low ms and the extra bit will give you more of an increase than a little more Mastery will

• Like 1

Mastery is definitely the better way to go here and I trust Icy Veins and Shadowcraft more than noxxic. More damage from your poisons will mean more dps on the boss in those moments when you can't be in melee range, always a plus. Crit is important so that those poisons will crit more often. As far as multistrike is concerned unless your poisons can multistrike I'd say leave that stat to combat and sub.

Based on a tumblr post from 2012, Noxxic use SimulationCraft for both their Maximum and Realistic models.

Maximum is a standard tank 'n' spank. DPS are attacking from behind, no movement, no use of CC, absolutely no interruptions or impediments to rotation. Basically, if you had full raid buffs, including food/flask/potion, and used BL/Heroism/TW at the right time, and were attacking a raid dummy with a perfect rotation, that's the DPS you should be capable of.

"Realistic" factors in having to interrupt, move out of range, being stunned, and the boss becoming invulnerable periodically. These things happen at regular intervals for fixed periods of time, so they're not truly realistic, but it's more representative of a real raiding situation.

Icy-Veins uses a combination of things; SimulationCraft, in-game testing, and common sense.

ShadowCraft should be more reliable since it bases weights on your current gear.

Your best stats are going to change depending on your gear. For example, I've noticed in Shadowcraft that as Assassination, Mastery and Multistrike both benefit the other, so the more of one you have, the better the other becomes. When I first hit 100, Multistrike was below Crit and Mastery for me, but now that I have a lot of Mastery, Multistrike has become my best stat.

Crit, Multistrike, and Mastery are all really close to each other, though, so stacking one over the others probably isn't going to make a very big difference (they're all within a few percent of each other on my character's Shadowcraft currently). Haste is bad for Assassination, though, which kind of stinks if you're dual-specing with Combat, where it's by far the best stat.