FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mophesto

[Help] DPS increase destruction warlock

Hello guys, Mophesto here. I feel like im underperforming at the butcher in highmaul. Maybe you guys got some wisdom to share.

Also, I've got a few questions about which of the following three (or any trinket else) trinkets that is obtainable in hcs/honorpoints is the "go-to" trinkets.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=119932/primal-combatants-insignia-of-dominance&bonus=0

http://www.wowhead.com/item=110001&bonus=524

http://www.wowhead.com/item=110000&bonus=524

I'm greatful for all possible help smile.png

Edited by mophesto

Hello guys, Mophesto here. I feel like im underperforming at the butcher in highmaul. Maybe you guys got some wisdom to share.

I'm greatful for all possible help smile.png

First things first, reupload this to warcraftlogs.com ASAP, as that will allow us to give you a MUCH more indepth review.  In all honesty, I'm surprised WoL updated for WoD.

Looking at the 5:00 attempt, you had 3 Chaos Bolts in total......I don't even know how, you had to have been sitting on 4 embers for most of the fight, which is downright horrible for your dps.  Why are you using Rain of Fire?  It's a single target fight, and with the recent-ish nerfs to it, is a waste of mana and a GCD.  That's about all I can tell from WoL, go reupload to WCL and post again for better reviews.

First things first, reupload this to warcraftlogs.com ASAP, as that will allow us to give you a MUCH more indepth review.  In all honesty, I'm surprised WoL updated for WoD.

Looking at the 5:00 attempt, you had 3 Chaos Bolts in total......I don't even know how, you had to have been sitting on 4 embers for most of the fight, which is downright horrible for your dps.  Why are you using Rain of Fire?  It's a single target fight, and with the recent-ish nerfs to it, is a waste of mana and a GCD.  That's about all I can tell from WoL, go reupload to WCL and post again for better reviews.

Hey, It was one of my guldies who uploaded the WoL. I could unfortunately not record the raid. However, ur looking at the usage of CB wrong, you have to look at the cirts, It says 3 hits but i suppose those 3 are multistrikes. I got 18 chaosbolts (21 including those 3). As for the rain of fire, we were lacking melee dps so I had to stack in melee range (were not using portals incase it would screw up the ranged cleave). So I used rain of fire incase my Conflag were on CD while I ran towards the boss.

Edited by mophesto

Hey, It was one of my guldies who uploaded the WoL. I could unfortunately not record the raid. However, ur looking at the usage of CB wrong, you have to look at the cirts, It says 3 hits but i suppose those 3 are multistrikes. I got 18 chaosbolts (21 including those 3). As for the rain of fire, we were lacking melee dps so I had to stack in melee range (were not using portals incase it would screw up the ranged cleave). So I used rain of fire incase my Conflag were on CD while I ran towards the boss.

Well, first, run logs yourself, its really easy.  Second, chalk that up to another reason why WoL is bad.  It's hard to read (although, that was a mistake on my part).  I don't know when you casted anything, and for destro locks, casting CB's correctly is paramount.  This one thing is most likely why you are doing less dps than the other person you linked, and I say that because I quite literally CAN'T tell if it's something else since it's WoL and WoL does NOT have a very user-friendly UI.  As for the ranged cleave, you have 2 portals, one is your personal one, the other is the gateway.  Use the portal for switching melee and the other for ranged stacks.

Well, first, run logs yourself, its really easy.  Second, chalk that up to another reason why WoL is bad.  It's hard to read (although, that was a mistake on my part).  I don't know when you casted anything, and for destro locks, casting CB's correctly is paramount.  This one thing is most likely why you are doing less dps than the other person you linked, and I say that because I quite literally CAN'T tell if it's something else since it's WoL and WoL does NOT have a very user-friendly UI.  As for the ranged cleave, you have 2 portals, one is your personal one, the other is the gateway.  Use the portal for switching melee and the other for ranged stacks.

Yeah, Indeed, It's really hard to use, been lookin at the numbers the past couple of hours. I know how to use the logs, the problem is that I can't load my wowcombatlog into WoL. 

Back to the topic, I'm aware that the usage of CB's is critical for a destruction warlock's DPS. I'm trying to burn as many CB's during AD and/or trinket proc as I can. 

Sorry for the horrible logs, I just cleared out all my old combatlogs so it should work fine to upload a new Log for the next try, and I'll come back here if my isue still persists, anyhow, thx for your help, but without better logs I don't think this will lead anywhere at the moment, So I'll might be back. Take care. :)

Yeah, Indeed, It's really hard to use, been lookin at the numbers the past couple of hours. I know how to use the logs, the problem is that I can't load my wowcombatlog into WoL. 

I assume you mean WCL, as I've stated before, WoL isn't really too good.  As for uploading logs, there's a guide here for that.

Do you have someone else you want to compare to other than a run with twice as many people in it?

One thing off the bat is your group wont have extra buffs.  but that could only really account for, maybe, 2%

i dont see a flask on you, but i see it on him. (kargath fight)

do you have a kill of The Butcher that can be compared?  that linked set only shows wipes.

Not the best at reading WoL, but it seems as though you cast immolate 58 times on Kargath. That should be over 14 minutes of uptime but the fight was 6 and half minutes long. It is safe to recast at 5 seconds remaining, but more more than that you are losing many GCDs. 

Unless you are going up everytime, in which Cata may be a better choice on that fight. I haven't had to go up in my group so hard to speak on it.

Edited by Killerjoe

immolate 58 times on Kargath. That should be over 14 minutes of uptime but the fight was 6 and half minutes long. It is safe to recast at 5 seconds remaining, but more more than that you are losing many GCDs.

i don't know why there's 51 casts shown, but the log is really only tracking 48. (with immolate, you don't count the crits as if it were a separate event.  they are part of the 51 "hits."   the opposite then is true for Chaos bolt, where the non crit hits are multistrike/mirror hits)  

he had 48 casts at  a 98.6% uptime.  it was basically flawless...i mean look at this sexy bar of solid green.  no overlap, no gaps. it's a work of art

UIXy3Kf.png

Edit 1:  also, what's the deal with the haste gems and mastery neck chant?  I wasn't under the impression that either of those were more beneficial than crit at this gear level on single target fights.

edit 2: for the butcher fight, you're really close to the guy you linked.  so much so i think the differences you see can be attributed to the slight edge in class buffs he/she has and their use of bloodlust/heroism/timewarp.

Edited by Gravyspasm
  • Like 1

i don't know why there's 51 casts shown, but the log is really only tracking 48. (with immolate, you don't count the crits as if it were a separate event.  they are part of the 51 "hits."   the opposite then is true for Chaos bolt, where the non crit hits are multistrike/mirror hits)  

he had 48 casts at  a 98.6% uptime.  it was basically flawless...i mean look at this sexy bar of solid green.  no overlap, no gaps. it's a work of art

UIXy3Kf.png

Edit 1:  also, what's the deal with the haste gems and mastery neck chant?  I wasn't under the impression that either of those were more beneficial than crit at this gear level on single target fights.

edit 2: for the butcher fight, you're really close to the guy you linked.  so much so i think the differences you see can be attributed to the slight edge in class buffs he/she has and their use of bloodlust/heroism/timewarp.

Hello! Why I had haste gems was because I've been messing around alot with affliction, after the huge buffs given to demo and affli, so I totally dropped the destro specc for a week maybe. Right before we started raided I picked up destro again, and i did quite well in comparison to how I did as demo. 

I tried to shape up my rotation on dummys, when I noticed that I am casting an INSANE amount of Immolates, I guess that is something I have to work on. Sometimes I reapply Immolate with like 10 seconds remaining, and that is just dumb. I don't even think about it, some kind of bad habit.

I realized a few hours afterwards I made this post that my comparison were terrible, WoL got me tricked. I looked at the top ranked DPSers, where it said that this guy made 25K dps. In reallity it was a bit lower.

WoL tricks us all.

Anyhow thanks for all the help!

Do you have someone else you want to compare to other than a run with twice as many people in it?

One thing off the bat is your group wont have extra buffs.  but that could only really account for, maybe, 2%

i dont see a flask on you, but i see it on him. (kargath fight)

do you have a kill of The Butcher that can be compared?  that linked set only shows wipes.

I used greater flasks, and pots. No we wiped since we where lacking in dps, enrage at around 30%. We where only 16 players with 5 healers that try, since the healers had a major problem with mana.

If i'm right we tried to kill The butcher at heroic with five healers and a total of 16 players in a raid scaled for 17 players?

I used greater flasks, and pots. No we wiped since we where lacking in dps, enrage at around 30%. We where only 16 players with 5 healers that try, since the healers had a major problem with mana.

If i'm right we tried to kill The butcher at heroic with five healers and a total of 16 players in a raid scaled for 17 players?

Totally irrelevant question, and my experiences from the raid from hell Wednesday.

Question: I'm guessing you guys were attempting heroic butcher?

Experience: 17K is pretty average at around 640 from my raid team and the billion PuGs I've been in since.

Gear makes a much larger difference than it ever has before. After log analysis, I'm seeing lesser skilled Warlocks beat good Warlocks with 5+ ilvls. It'll be interesting to see the graph I'm putting together of DPS by ilvl because it varies a great deal. Gear is super important, especially since all the specs are much easier to play than they've ever been.

• Like 1