Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why does noone try this..?

7 posts in this topic

Ok SO..

Everyone i've heard so far.. "2H Frost way out-preforms DW Frost for DPS"

Majority of this information is gathered from SIMS, however i've seen many DK's in game try both with those results..

Everyone assumes, because Threat of Thassarian increases Frost Strike damage by 40%

"When dual-wielding, your Death Strikes, Obliterates, Plague Strikes, and Frost Strikes also deal damage with your off-hand weapon, and your Frost Strike damage is increased by 40%."

that DW Frost will always favor Mastery>Haste almost point-for-point. (Meaning if you have a choice between 110mastery and 100haste you would always choose mastery.) BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I don't give a damn what the 'sims' say about DW frost dps. It preforms best at a 45-48% Haste soft-cap.

I've tried reforging several ways as DW. the askmrrobot weights (leaves me around 34% haste at ilvl470) and the elitist jerks weights (leaves me around 30% haste at ilvl 470) and my way (leaves me at 45.5% haste at ilvl 470)

and the DPS changes are VERY immense.

EJ's: ~50k

My way:~64k

The sims are usually based off the same (or close to) weights as either Robot or EJ. This is why 2H pulls ahead in sims, and, when a player tries dw to see, 2h still pulls ahead. Reason being at 45.5% haste you have a 9.1sec rune regen. at 40% you have a 9.65 and at 35% you have a 9.98sec rune regen.

This .88 sec doesn't seem like alot, but it is. It's the diffrence between running into having to wait 9seconds for a rune to come up cuz ur RP drained and rune drained. and waiting about 2sec, and it also occures alot less often.

Now, I completly agree ToT made FS pro-status for DW and makes Mastery ALOT more useful for us. However, I do not see why DW is dismissed so easily on the sims, without tweaking the stats around. Yes maste>haste pulls more dps then haste>mast on dw. but why havent they tried haste=45%>maste>haste ?

Input please, i'd like to know what i'm missing here.

(And for the record, i HAVE tried 2h frost, same Ilvl, reforged and gemmed appropriatly, and i still pull more as DW)

I have yet to be out-dpsed by a 2h frost dk. they are close, but i'm still higher.

~Amathor <Zenith> -- Kil'Jaeden (Horde)

Self-buffed Single Raid Dummy ~ 5min: 78k

Self-buffed AoE Raid Dummy(3 dummies) ~5min: 89k

10man reg Guardians: 77k

10man reg Fen: 71k

10 man reg Spiritbender: 69k

1 person likes this

I've not done much theorycrafting with frost, but i don't think there are any haste soft caps. Could you please elaborate on how 45.5% haste is significant? What is special about 9.1s rune regen that would justify making that a soft cap?

In addition to Reniat's valid question, I'd also like to state that your sample size appears to be extremely small (personal experimentation), whereas simulations run on much much greater sample sizes.

But aside from that, I'm not saying that you are wrong - a lot of things in WoW have been dismissed as weak until properly understood. I think you will find the best place for theorycrafting for Death Knights to still be EJ's forums - so I'd urge you to post there. If your maths is solid, then I'm sure it will get the right recognition. And if you do, or already have posted there, please post the link here, because I'm naturally interested in the topic.

Playing as 2h frost now and dying to know about DW. Simcraft is saying that DW is now doing around 120k!!! I will try later on, the only problem I have got is cause I am level 483 (2H) with elegon weapon and to go DW I will have to buy 2 one swords from Klaxxi. This will for sure drop my dps alot.

I gonna buy 2 one hand sword and 1 2h sword from Klaxxi, so gear should be the same... lets see!

Anymore details about this Amathor? How do you reforge? What are the stats weight?

The sims are usually based off the same (or close to) weights as either Robot or EJ.

I'm not sure which sims you are referring to but Simulationcraft will certainly calculate your own personal stat weights (which vary considerably from the ilvl 509 weights mentioned on Elitist Jerks' site when you've not got BiS gear). Which simulations blindly use such published weights?

I'm not sure which sims you are referring to but Simulationcraft will certainly calculate your own personal stat weights (which vary considerably from the ilvl 509 weights mentioned on Elitist Jerks' site when you've not got BiS gear). Which simulations blindly use such published weights?

I don't know, but Ask Mr Robot's optimization certainly calculates weights based on the current character.

Okay, so that now Simcraft has been updated to remove the last bug, how are things simming out for DW, both stats and gems. Is there a sweet spot for haste for DW or does Mastery rule at all levels? I'm getting odd results and this could all be because the sim software is new to me. My reforge/gem results are telling me to toss out my 4000 haste for 2900 haste and put everything into str gems and reforge for mastery? My ilevel is 482 and i've been running either 25k or 50k iterations. I would really like to get a short "to-do" list like go to X and run this and then do this ... I've seen a lot of 2H conversation in this forum, time for DW's to speak up. Thank you much and happy holidays.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mischievous
      Cleared Heroic and Normal Emerald Nightmare in the first week of it's release.
      Classes Needed:
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Always looking for exceptional DPS of any class.

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply at our website  If you have questions about the application process, contact any of the officers for additional information.

Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an alliance guild on the PVE server Uldum, we are currently 4/7 mythic and looking to add 1 mage and 1 warlock to our ranks. Union has been around since Vanilla and has had the same core of raiders for years. We pride ourselves on raiding just 10 hours per week and being able to maintain top 150 US throughout the last tiers of raiding. We raid:

Tuesday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Thursday 8-11 EST (5-8 PST)
      Sunday 7-11 EST (4-8 PST)

We are looking for a mage that not only parses high, but has good survival instincts and always comes prepared to each raid.

Hit me up in game: Stormcaster#1629
    • By dlhak
      Hi, Does anyone of you know how much haste is enough for demon blades to proc properly ? I'm actually at 20% (crit 40% mast 20%) I can switch to 50% crit but I will have 6% haste. 
      There is now a debate whether the proc chance of demon blades during GCD is actually a buff or a nerf, if anyone could bring opinion on that too it would be great.
      thank you.
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By bigmacs
      <Tophat Standard>
         We are a somewhat newly formed raiding guild focused 
      on providing a home to the serious players of Emerald Dream that
      want to progress through all content but can only commit a limited amount of time to the game. The core members and leadership of the guild that returned for Legion have been playing games together for 7+ years and quite a few of us know each other in real life. 
         We come from a plethora of locations, careers, and video game experiences but our love for gaming at a higher level has bonded us together. Our first mission at hand is to establish a roster of 40-45 members which will allow our members to have a 'show up when you want' attendance policy. Our progression raid invite priority will be based on attendance percentage. To accomplish this we are sounding the 'Call to Arms' in search of just a few more skilled raiders to  finish off our roster.
         Raid times
      all raids are optional - Invite priority based on attendance percentage
      - Sunday: 9:00pm(ST)[W-PvP/Rated BGs/Arenas/Keystone-Mythics]
      - Monday:  9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Clean up content]
      - Tuesday: 9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Wednesday: 9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Thursday:  9:00pm(ST)-12:00am(ST)[Progression]
      - Friday: [No Guild events]
      - Saturday: [No Guild events]
      What We Offer
      - Experienced leadership [Top 25 U.S. raiding during TBC & Wotlk/R1 Gladiators/World first in SWTOR & EQ.] 
      - Mature raiding environment [We DO NOT tolerate drama - We DO encourage mild intoxicants & Laughter.]
      - Casual raid schedule [You choose what days you can raid by accepting or declining guild calendar invites]
      - Progression [The #1 goal in all progression raids is to PROGRESS. When a wipe occurs we do not complain we identify the problem, then correct the issue immediately.]
      - Fair loot system [Personal loot for Heroic ~ MS>OS free roll for Mythic.]
      What We Require
      [ul]- 18+ years old [We play the game for fun, not to babysit or censor our conversations.]
      - Raiding Experience [If you stand in fire we do not want you!]
      - Class knowledge & Comprehension [Know your class & spec - Perform YOUR job in raids.]
      - Late night EST playtimes [Ability to attend at least one raid every week to be considered for core raider rank.] 
      - Thick skin & Personality [We want people who can take a joke and fire one right back otherwise, raiding would be boring.] 
      - Character upkeep [Gems/Enchants/Flask/Food/Attunements/Relic slots/Pre-quest/Item level]
      - Microphone & Headset [Communication is paramount to success in PvE & PvP]
      - Curse voice [This is the main voice program we will use for PvE & PvP Push-to-talk required][/ul]
      Current Progression
      'Glory of the Legion Hero'
      7/7 - Normal
      7/7 - Heroic
      1/7 - Mythic
      Current Recruitment Needs
      - Tanks - Low [Prot Warrior(With DPS offset)]
      - Melee DPS - Medium [Warrior/Feral/Rogue/Ret/WW]
      - Ranged DPS - Medium [SP/Warlock/Hunter/Boomkin/ELE]
      - Healers - Low [H-Priest/MW-Monk]
      Recruitment Process
      - Short application on our website.
      - Short interview via Curse voice.
      - Two week trial period. [Extensions if needed]
      - Promotion to Core-Raider or Demotion to Social. 
      If you have any questions or would like to join <Tophat Standard> please contact any of the following officers in-game or via Curse Voice.
      - Bigmacs [Healing Officer] CV = Khemist757
      - Oghmann [Ranged Dps Officer] CV = araleus
      - Armoredpope [Tank Officer] CV = timegogo
      - Numptey [Melee Dps Officer] CV = Numptey13
      - illyih [Website/Raid Admin Officer] CV = Oz821