FORUMS
Niix

User Interface Thread

This is a thread I'd like to use to discuss the various UI elements that people use. I've gotten a lot of questions recently about my UI and it's something that I'd like to have a resource on the forum for people to ask questions as well as take a look at the UIs we are all using.

I recently gutted mine and built it up from the ground.

DEcnrMj.jpg

• Like 1

I love the minimalist look of the UI but where are all your special ability buttons that you don't use all the time? 

Like tranq shot, deterrence, traps, blah blah blah?

I love the minimalist look of the UI but where are all your special ability buttons that you don't use all the time? 

Like tranq shot, deterrence, traps, blah blah blah?

everything is done via weak auras. I have 4 hidden bars that I don't need to see to cast them.

UPAg1rH.jpg

• Like 1

As a raiding hunter, a UI like this is probably something I should have done a looong time ago. But there are reasons why I didn't:

1) I have a nasty, incurable habit of casting only things I see. I.e. if I don't have an item or an ability right before my eyes I might forget I even had them. Of course, as I play more on more, I lose this need, I don't need to see Tranq Shot to remember I have it lol.

2) I've proven to be an inconsistent player, who plays lots of classes at different roles. Hunter always was and will be my main, but if I suddenly quit for a couple of months, having a homey UI with lots of visible stuff helps me to transition back.

3) This is also true for when I start playing my abandoned-for-some-time-now alt. I might totally forget how to even play this thing, but seeing all abilities lined up helps me to remember. 

4) I prefer a consistent experience across all my characters. Creating a custom, highly configured UI for each one is a huge pain.

5) Creating, and maintaining this UI is a huge pain. If I suddenly decide to quit WoW and erase it, thinking "lol, like I'm ever gonna play this game again", restoring the UI two weeks later will take an eternity. I even once created something like this, and, incidentally, deleted it just like that. 

So now my UI looks like this:

33xznzs.jpg

I know it looks horrible. Believe, it looked worse with Mik's Scrolling Battle Text rolleyes.gif

There's a lot of stuff I don't need to see, especially in combat, especially in raids. One of these days I'll probably clean it up. 

Pretty much everything I need is tracked by Tell Me When, including: 

Thrill of the Hunt, Deterrence, Bombardment, Sniper Training, trinket procs + other buffs.

I like the Range Display addon, which as the name suggest shows the distance to the target.

I use Quartz for castbars, and I use TellMeWhen to place my Counter Shot icon directly on top of enemy castbar. It shows only when enemy is casting an interruptible spell, in which case TMW notifies me with "dzing" sound. 

I have recount, but I never use it in combat. The most distracting and useless thing ever, I have no idea why people choose to show it in combat. 

The "OK!" AiS icon is there to notify me when I have 40%+ crit, so I know for sure that CA AiS will refund focus. I won't need it once I have 40% crit raid buffed.

I tend to automatize as much as possible so I don't have to keep track of tedious stuff. For example, I use a TMW icon to remind me to cast Mend Pet if pet's health <70% and Mend Health isn't already up. 

Another use for TMW is a substitute for missing DBM's announcements, like that "chasing red flame" debuff on Tectus. When it gets applied to me, my TMW will announce in chat "Flame is chasing me!" or something similar to that default DBM chat announcement. This way I get alerted instantly. I tended to miss this otherwise. 

TMW is basically an alternative to Weak Auras, and it never gave me any reason to look at Weak Auras. It's so incomprehensibly useful and customizable it's mindblowing. And more importantly, it constantly gets huge updates and I always say in awe: "how did I ever live without this feature before?". 

Edited by Iridar

Welp this is what I'm running with.

mh6b5HK.jpg

The bar above my main abilities is a stretched out thin version of the Sniper Training weak aura that Niix posted. I don't cast countershot or barrage off of 7 or 8, they're just there in the big box so that I can monitor cooldowns. 

vHMYLFj.jpg?1

This is with all the auras up. The satellite pops up to remind me to craft gears, green arc is my health, blue arc is pet, runes indicate mend pet is applied to pet, and red arc is target. 

Now that I see how yours works, Niix, I think I might have to gut my UI and work towards one like that as well. It's gorgeous.

Are you using ElvUI as a base or just heavy Weak Auras and/or Bartender?

If you ever decide to share all/most of your aura code, I'm game to try it out.

Here's mine:UfBDAMO.jpg

I play entirely by touch.  Every single move I have is bound to a key combination, so I never once have to look at my action bars during combat.  I use the same basic concept on all my toons:

1-4: Main Rotation
Shift 1 - Shift 4: DPS CDs
Alt 1 - Alt 4: Utility CDs
Middle Mouse Button: Survival CDs

And so on....

Basically, my action bars are just wasting real estate, but it feels weird not to have them, so there they stay.

During combat I have a metric fuck ton of Weak Auras that track all of my CDs (CS, RF, AoC, etc.) popping up in a variety of flashy events to let me know.

Bottom right corner is just professions, food, mounts, etc.

Bottom left is chat and menus

Top left is Skada.  I leave it on during combat, it doesnt really bother me.

Like Niix, most of my UI revolves around using WeakAuras to alert me of events. 

• Confused 1

Meant to post last night but never got around to getting on my hunter, so here it is now:

yoLpt3S.jpg

Dominoes for bars, Skada in bottom right, Tidy Plates and Shadowed Unit Frames for unit frames, Grid off next to the default tank+healers raid plates, and MSBT under SUF nameplates.  I have DBM start in the bottom left and when something gets close to coming up it's right under my feet.  OmniCC for the cooldown timers.

Now then, my bars are a bit.... odd.... by conventional means.  I use a ESDF movement setup (WASD shifted over one) and have my main rotation layed out on 2-4, w, and r, with 1, 5, 6, q, and shift mods being stuff I commonly use as well and g being my default AoE button.  

Overall, I feel like it's a pretty clean UI with a lot of open space in the middle, and the only clutter is down where MSBT is.

@Niix Can you share your Weak Auras Lua file? Your UI looks awesome. Thanks.

Yeah sorry, I was out of town for the weekend and i just got back. let me group everything up and i'll post it in a day or so 

• Like 1

Yeah sorry, I was out of town for the weekend and i just got back. let me group everything up and i'll post it in a day or so 

Niix need your weak auras LUA smile.png

Edited by Eowiin66
  • Confused 1

I'm gonna just go ahead and compile everything into a WTF folder and let you guys download everything.

• Like 3

I too am gonna wait for the weakaura's strings, i tried using the 5.4 (or around there) strings on this site and got a bunch of stuff I don't care to use right now and it just didn't seem to import quite right. Couldn't even delete some "children" in the strings and ended up just deleting it all and starting fresh. Google keeps coming up with old patch results when I search for Hunter WA strings... :(

• Like 2

I self builded it, but ty for the idea with the wa for trap launcher Nnx :D

in combat:
GrBEW6T.jpg

out of combat:3JIip8f.jpg

Poorly my hunter is just 90 atm, but i wanted to show you my interface, too. :D
Sadly my Raidleader wants me to play ele in the actual content -.- 

If you want i can upload my infight trap/spells weakaura, too. 

Sigh, doesn't work for me. Must be doing something wrong =/

Putting it where it's supposed to be in the right folders, just not working

Do you have the addons? Specifically Elv UI and Skullflower

Np np

Downloaded that file but there's no actual ElvUI settings saved in there. No profiles or anything. I looked through to the ElvUI Lua and it's just chat history.... Maybe you meant to copy the file from \WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables instead of from ACCOUNT\SERVER\CHAR\SavedVariables?