FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tigeroo

Mor'gak Force Nova, to JUMP or NOT to JUMP

So,my guild is asking if we should be jumping the force nova rings on Mor'gak.  Some people are saying it lowers the damage.  I personally am not seeing it.

Some people are saying jumping slows you and actually increases the damage.

Anyone know for sure? 

PS. I'm talking about normal jumping, not blink/heroic leap/etc

We are running towards the middle. Yes, it lowers the damage. If I can make parallels, it's something like Swirl on Immerseus: you had to run through it to decrease the amount of damaging ticks.

It feels like I'm taking less damage when I jump, I seem to take 2-3 ticks of damage when I jump, and 4-5 ticks of damage if I don't jump, but it could be a placebo effect.

Also, this is sort of circular logic, but the mage boss in Everbloom has a jump 'over the fire nova' mechanic and an achievement related to it, and since heroics often have new mechanics which will later be seen in raids, it leads me to believe jumping is the intention of the force nova mechanic as well.

Jumping may reduce damage. But it doesn't eliminate it. If you want to eliminate it moves like blink, displacer beast, leap, etc. need to be used. However, I believe jumping during the pullback nova does more damage than running through it. It feels that jumping is slower than running for some reason. 

Best way to check it is log a fight and jump over the novas. log a fight without jumping over the novas. and check damage for them both. (give them some tolerances of course)

If this is anything like the everbloom boss mechanic then theoretically jumping repeatedly in place would work. I will log an lfr run to test this on alt.

There use to be a common known "problem/myth" with jumping that my first raid group would mention. To us, jumping caused your character "coordinates" to be locked in from where you jumped until you hit the ground, hence you were still in fire until your feet hit the ground.

At the time, I can't remember the specific mechanic, it seemed true. But now (especially with all the dynamic updating on hots/dots) it seems it doesn't matter. All in all, I don't think jumping matters, only moving in the opposite direction of the wave.