FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dormammu

[Frost] Help with optimizing my damage

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fB82axjAXpZPM7dm#fight=5
(These are from tonight's raid.)

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Dormammu/simple

While I tend to do well relative to my guild, I wanted to pop in and see if there are any glaring mistakes in my approach to Frost. I use Butcher as a gauge as to whether or not my understanding of the class is correct since there aren't many mechanics that would throw me off or require adjustments. 

A couple area of concern: I pop mirror images and pot right before the pull, cast frostbolt with water jet and usually have 1 BF and 2 FoF ready to go right out of the gate. After this, I pop IV, throw orb, and drop PC and unload. I have a feeling this is suboptimal but I don't know if I should be dumping my waterjet FoF/FB into PC and THEN firing off orb, or if I should unload all of that (FoF/FB) into the boss with IV and MI up and then throw orb and PC after I've burned those procs. I noticed I missed about 2 or 4 FfB (which is bad) and also had significantly more FoF procs than Ice Lances (though I don't know how much of that is just the overlapping that can sometimes occur during Orb/Crystal and how much of that is me screwing up my priority). Advice here would be appreciated.

The second concern pertains to cooldown management. I notice that sometimes have a MI that will come off cooldown shortly after a PC/FO combo is about to end or will be up a good amount of time before the next combo is ready. Is it best to delay either of those abilities to line them all up, or should I just handle MI as it comes up and not worry about syncing them unless its only a few seconds to get them all together? I suppose a similar situation occurs with IV as well. 

Off the top of my head, these are my primary concerns. I may be doing something else wrong as well that has not even entered into my mind, so any help the community could provide would be greatly appreciated! 

From the looks of it, you are munching FoF and BF quite a bit - 38 FoF procs vs 26 IL casts, 26 BF procs vs 22 FFB casts. On pull WJ with IN/PC is only a tiny dps increase (as shown by recent sims here http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1009#p10127),and either way you should dump a single FoF charge before popping FO/PC. If you don't and cast Orb with 2 charges you will always munch one when FO lands. You should never cast FO while the PC is up, you want to throw every global you have on IL/FFB/IN.

As far as cd management, you should sync FO with PC every time; this also means that your 3rd PC/FO will sync with your second IV. MI doesn't need to be synced PC because the images don't target the crystal anyway; if you can sync it with IV that's nice but make sure you aren't losing any uses of it. This means that, for example, on a fight that lasts exactly 4 minutes you should try and sync them (cast at start and at 3 minutes instead of start and 2 minutes, then having them off cd right as the boss dies), but on a 5 minute encounter you shouldn't (cast at 0, 2, 4 instead of 0, 3 and have them off cd at 5).

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1