FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
IceTwenty

How bad is switching specs without switching gear sets?

To start, my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Aornis/

tl;dr would running Demo in crit-focused gear I got with the intention of being Destro be bad enough to the point where switching specs would be a terrible idea?

To be perfectly honest, I'm getting really bored of Destro. I really want to play Demo - I was originally Demo when the expansion came out but switched to Destro because I heard it's better DPS at lower gear levels, and I did see a noticeable increase when I switched specs (and rerolled my stuff from mastery to crit, fixed enchants, etc). I'm still not happy with my numbers, and combining that with my growing boredom with this spec, I've been seriously considering switching to Mage. I'm hoping a less dramatic switch from Destro to Demo will save me from that horrific fate.

But at the same time, I'm hesitant to switch main spec if it means I'm going to have to drop a bunch of time and gold on rerolling, re-enchanting, and/or replacing gear to shift stat focus. The re-enchanting I'm fine with since that's not too bad, but rerolling my 3 crafted pieces is a bit more daunting (bad luck could cost me a fortune there) and I definitely don't like the idea of having to outright replace gear with something of the same ilevel while also trying to replace these damn blues and 640s that I just can't seem to get rid of.

I'm having slight money troubles at the moment (I've got about 30k between all characters, buying more than one or two BoEs would wipe me out) which is why I'm concerned about this at all.

Edited by IceTwenty

On my tablet so I only read the tldr. Having crit gear in demo won't kill you, you won't be as strong as mastery but it won't kill you either.

Hi Icetwenty,

From what I gather at this point secondary matter very little compared to game play. I have the same set for all 3 specs and each still excels where it is meant to. However, to avoid misleading you I should say that is a mastery heavy set and not crit like yours. 

From the main Demo guide:

"TL;DR - Mastery >= Haste (to about 10%) > Crit = Multistrike > Haste = Versatility" so I would say Crit seems a pretty good choice anyhow. I don't know if you have ever simmed your character but last time I did I got ratings of like Mastery 0.44, Multi 0.43, Crit 0.42, Haste 0.41 and Vers 0.36. See they are so close! (bear in mind these ratings only matter for my gear/stats and for the settings that I chose for that particular simulation). 

I believe the current thinking is along the lines of if it has 10 (or is it 15?) ilevels above what you have replace it regardless of stats. The added intellect is a boost in itself though I do cry every time I get a piece of gear with Vers on. It seems like me you are still in the process of gearing then you probably have a mismatch anyway and some better loot is on the horizon. I personally don't think there is any need to fork out for gear, that comes with time but yes the enchants would be better Mastery for Demo or if you play multiple specs. 

One thing I will say though is unless you have a very good and dynamic raid group if you are only playing one spec then I think that you are not playing to your optimum. I am not a huge fan of Destro either but I will say on say 2 fights in Highmaul and on trash I have found it to be stronger. However, if your raid group is strong or is doing well enough this does not matter.

Wall of text but my tl;dr is do not let secondary stats stop you from changing to the spec(s) that you want to play. Good luck

Edited by spikeysquad

Yeah, when I was doing research I noticed that Destro is best on Imp and Brackenspore, while Demo is better on pretty much everything else (by a landslide on Tectus), so I think what I'm gonna do is regem/enchant/roll for mastery, keep my un-rerollable stuff as is (unless I find upgrades of course), and go Demo mainspec with Destro on the fights where it's better. Thanks for the help!

Another thing to put your mind at ease is that Demo is far less picky about secondary stats than the other two specs. Mastery is BEST, but it still benefits from haste, multistrike, and crit. None of them are BAD stats for Demo the way that crit is for Affliction, for example (has no interplay with any abilities, just doubles some spells, that's it).

Yeah you can't go wrong really with going all mastery if you plan on swapping specs at times.

In regards to you money issues, go run 25m heroic BWD.  It is a joke how easy it is and you'll walk out with like 1500+ gold in the  15 mins it takes to do.  The same can be done in BoT and Firelands, although I found BWD to be the quickest.  Repeat on all worthwhile alts.  That should cover your enchants/gems/etc.

For demo, the secondary stats are all very close in value, probably looking at no larger than a 2-3% difference between a full set of perfectly itemized and a full set of randomly itemized.

Maybe 2-3x that for the other specs. Spec-fight compatibility is more important than gear-spec compatibility. 

Secondary stats are relatively close except that you need Haste to be FUNCTIONALLY powerful, not innately powerful, so that you have the Demonic Fury generation to fuel your Demonbolts.