FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sere

Advice for Optimizing Disc.

Hi there! So I was a little ashamed to have to do this, but I really want to try and optomize my healing so I can try and move forward a bit more. I tried out for a mythic guild last night and they said my heals were a little low for their expectations. I would really love some advice on how to optomize my healing at this point so I can be really viable for mythic healing.

ilevel: 666

Spec: Disc

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hyjal/Serephine/simple

Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gi1gk45yywvoczm1/

Addons: DBM, Decursive

Any help y'all could offer would be very much appreciated. Also if anything else is needed, please let me know and I will do my best to supply it. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I only have Heroic experience thus far in Highmaul, so I can't speak to Mythic specifically.  However I did notice a few things from your logs that may help you.

For one, you are not utilizing Evangelism/Archangel.  Even using Archangel with just one stack of Evangelism on CD would boost your throughput quite a bit.  A helpful tip here would be to focus your main tank and create a macro to cast Holy Fire on their target on CD.

#showtooltip
/use [@focustarget,exists,harm,nodead][] Holy Fire

Your PW: Shield casts seem awfully low, which is our shining star as Disc priests.  If you are having mana issues, I also notice you are also not using your T5 talent Power Infusion and very rarely use T3 talent Mindbender.  Both should be used on CD and will allow you to get more PW: Shield coverage on tanks/melee groups - or whichever groups you are assigned to.

A helpful macro to save keystrokes and get you used to using them would be:

#showtooltip prayer of healing
/run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","0")
/cast Archangel
/cast Power Infusion
/run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","1")
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast [target=mouseover,exists][] prayer of healing

This will also take advantage of Empowered Archangel's 100% guaranteed Divine Aegis on the group you cast it on.

Glyph of Penance and Glyph of Weakened Soul are essential, to me at least.

Lastly, even though the stat itemization available on gear right now isn't that great, favoring Mastery over Crit will help boost your absorbs and healing.

• Like 2

Hey Serephine,

Congrats to you and your guild for  the Imp kill on Heroic! For the most part it looks like you are doing the majority of things right but I do see a big thing you are missing. I'm not seeing you using Archangel. The main fight I looked at for you is Butcher as that is best to gauge how you play your class. You never hit the boss with a smite, holy fire, or penance to get the Evangelism buff which is extremely helpful as it can give a 25% bonus to healing and also give you a guaranteed crit on a Flash Heal or Prayer of Mending. If you know what group of allies are taking the cleave you can get 5 stacks of Evangelism, pop it with Archangel, and use your PoM on that group and get tons of healing as well as putting a shield on everyone in the group with Divine Aegis.

This is obviously up for debate but PERSONALLY I like Power Word: Solace over Mind Bender and I would recommend also trading out the PW:S glyph to be the one to reduce the time on the debuff so you can cast it more often. Using PW:Solace on cooldown is more mana back and also helps you stack up your Evangelism up to 5, then using it with Archangel for that sweet 25% healing boost and guaranteed Crit. Good luck and I hope this was helpful!

Flash Heal or Prayer of Mending.

use your PoM

Im sure you meant to say Prayer of Healing and PoH :)

This is obviously up for debate but PERSONALLY I like Power Word: Solace over Mind Bender and I would recommend also trading out the PW:S glyph to be the one to reduce the time on the debuff so you can cast it more often. Using PW:Solace on cooldown is more mana back and also helps you stack up your Evangelism up to 5, then using it with

Solace does provide more mana return if used properly but for someone that is not using it at all currently and isnt using Archangel then the 1minute set and forget of mindbender can be easier to use in the beginning and requires far less GCD's.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the info so far. I had kinda started to not use archangel just because it took time away from chain healing. I definitely need to work that back into the rotation. I switched around some glyphs as well and will be trying more with the solace instead of the mind bender to see if I can generate more hps.

• Like 1

I don't remember World of Logs to be as confusing to me as it is now.

That said, I think I found just healing logs from a fight? I'm not sure. I am thinking that I see 2 druid healers and a paladin healer running with you, as well as a monk healer. What's going to be important is your raid composition, starting with healers. I have been onto our main Disc healer to not freak out and start flash healing people and to let the other heals (me as holy, a druid and a shaman) to top them off and let them shine through their shields. When I go as disc, I don't care as much to heal damage - rather I concern about stopping more damage and to let druids do what they do best, hot everything up forever.

I do suggest trying to avoid macros that cast cooldowns together as best as possible. I get what Kaziah is suggesting, to use AA and Power Infusuion to cast faster and to cast it cheaper, but it should be used as a multiple key press. For me, AA is shift + q and then I would mouseover and press 4 to cast prayer of healing. If I need PI then it's shift + a mouse function. Doing both is shift+mouse button+q+unshift+4 as I mouse over what I need to bubble. But you won't have PI ready for every AA. It would be much better to work it into your rotations for healing cooldowns as you should know the fights well enough being able to clear heroic that you would know when to save it or pop it (5 stacks or less)

Additionally, the glyphs suggested (weakened soul) is a big improvement as you'll be able to sheal 2 seconds faster than normal, which on butcher I'm switching between tanks and the melee stack groups, then the ranged group. then rinse and repeat. a 25% healing increase is amazing for pennance when you also hit it on leap of faith. Since the +50% hits pennance entire cast, an additional 25% is amazing. granted it will move your target to you, however if its another person next to you it wont matter, and if its to recover a tank after butcher is about to charge you then they can reset as you're doing it all.

I definitely agree you should also have Archangel, Power Infusion and PoH as separate keybinds as well.  The macro above, which I have in addition to separate keybinds, is something I use when both are off CD and that combo is what I need as it saves two keystrokes/combos.  Given that Sere's usuage of AA and PI were both zero, my suggestion was simply a way to get used to using them to see the results - and should have added that as you get used to monitoring those CD's and when they are best used during the encounters, you can use them separaretly accordingly.  :)

• Like 1