FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
zeffrell

OK What am i missing with Haunt

My dps is below other affliction locks in the guild I don't know enough to really dig into the numbers due to honest between wife and kid just don't have it.  I looked into the logs I get from Mr Robot and the biggest think that pops out is my haunt usage is almost half?  I haven't  gemed and enchanted yet for Afflic because I just switch to it from destruction and so but will for next raid.

What is the correct usage for haunt I have herd never cast until it nightfall proc which I did and my usage compared to others is half?  They are casting it as much as they can except the last one they are keeping for the proc?  Could that be the difference in dps gear wise we are all about the same at 665 or so

Thank you for the time and help have a great day

Here is the link I am looking at for the last full clear as afflic

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/3cc22d68-fbc4-4c08-a458-97b135d6d3cd/overview

Edited by zeffrell

Yeah your Haunt count is really hurting you. Try to keep your shard count at 2 or 3 (having a little buggy of night fall that sometimes gives you 2 charges instead of 1) if you have more than that you need to cast Haunt. If you have a trinket proc Cast Haunts regardless of how many shards you have. Try to cast them so that you can keep the Haunt debuff up for the length of the trinket proc.

Nightfall grants you a soul shard. So if you are sitting at 4 shards when Nightfall procs you have actually lost a soulshard that you can never use. Never sit capped on soul shards as that is direct loss in dps.

Your gear/gems/enchants are not going to give you good results as afflic.

This is my opinion on how to use haunt

When your trinks proc/CDs/lust you want to maintain Haunt on the target. Once your buffs fall off continue saving 1 haunt, when NF procs save that haunt for your weapon proc.

The main downfall to your NF procs is your lack of haste.

Also try to post Warcraftlog parse's they're much easier to read imo

Edited by Godmare

I gained like 300 haste rating this week and saw no tangible increase to nightfall generation. The notion that you can actively gear for any spec in Highmaul is a bit of a fallacy. Customisation is at an all time low and gear is just a splattering of stats across the board.

In Foundry it will get better but if you prio Mastery you still only end up with like 1200 to 1300 haste rating in BiS gear. I'm at 1000 now...

• Like 1

Haunt usage for me is somehow really related to Destro interaction with procs.
I have a WA for tracking my procs that makes loud "Ka-ching!" sound when it triggers.

Got proc?
"Ka-ching!"
consider using haunt if debuff is not around.

DS is off cooldown on top of proc?
"Ka-ching!"
"Ka-ching!"
Haunt. never forget to spice it up with some Drain soul.

2 procs AND a DS?
"Ka-ching!" 
"Ka-ching!" 
"Ka-ching!" 
cool.png Jackpot!cool.png 

Edited by Paracel

Your gear/gems/enchants are not going to give you good results as afflic.

This is not a positive notion.  Many players have been able to push similar numbers with varying degrees of Haste.  I had no problem playing Affliction to a 90+ percentile with less than 500 Haste.  Proper gameplay will give you good results as Affliction.

Last night i got the MWFShards of Nothing i noticed a sizable increase to NF procs. In most cases i have to clip haunt in the opener due to SS cap.

Affliction is, as you might know, extremely RNG dependent.  Individual parses may vary in high degrees to make it FEEL like you're getting more when it's more of a result of a single outlier in terms of probability.  Your Shards increases your Haste by 18% for 20 seconds out of every 120 seconds.  It has absolutely ZERO effect on 83% of your gameplay, so it can't be generating more Nightfall procs on its own.  If you're considering that it gives you more procs during an 18% Haste buff, that would be logically assumed.  This is why most players with CC and SoN will use CC during the opener and SoN after the opening burst is over to try to sustain a higher than average level of Haste.

Haunt is discussed numerous times in the guides, forum guides, and everywhere else - you treat it like you do Chaos Bolt in that you use it with buffs and periods of time with other procs such as Dark Soul, any trinket proc, or Bloodlust.  Due to the double-shard bug/whatever that gives you 2 shards on a Nightfall trigger, most will suggest you hover at 2 Shards until you get within 10-15 seconds of Dark Soul in which case you'd want to bank at least 3.

This is not a positive notion.  Many players have been able to push similar numbers with varying degrees of Haste.  I had no problem playing Affliction to a 90+ percentile with less than 500 Haste.  Proper gameplay will give you good results as Affliction.

Affliction is, as you might know, extremely RNG dependent.  Individual parses may vary in high degrees to make it FEEL like you're getting more when it's more of a result of a single outlier in terms of probability.  Your Shards increases your Haste by 18% for 20 seconds out of every 120 seconds.  It has absolutely ZERO effect on 83% of your gameplay, so it can't be generating more Nightfall procs on its own.  If you're considering that it gives you more procs during an 18% Haste buff, that would be logically assumed.  This is why most players with CC and SoN will use CC during the opener and SoN after the opening burst is over to try to sustain a higher than average level of Haste.

Haunt is discussed numerous times in the guides, forum guides, and everywhere else - you treat it like you do Chaos Bolt in that you use it with buffs and periods of time with other procs such as Dark Soul, any trinket proc, or Bloodlust.  Due to the double-shard bug/whatever that gives you 2 shards on a Nightfall trigger, most will suggest you hover at 2 Shards until you get within 10-15 seconds of Dark Soul in which case you'd want to bank at least 3.

Ok so here is what confuses me on Haunt. You say to treat it like Chaos Bolt and the way I usually use CB is try and keep at 3.5 shards and wait for the optimal time to dump 4 of them with all procs and DS (I'll throw a few CBs here and there if I have enough time inbetween recharge of DS or keep me below capping). Now Haunt is a bit different in that it buffs your periodic damage. So are you saying to dump all your shards with Haunt if you get procs and have DS available? Cause then your left with no shards and no buff after Haunt wears off. Are we suppose to be saving shards and leaving off the buff from haunt when DS is on cooldown and no procs are active in prep for the next optimal time to dump again?

I get 90 percentiles with more multistrike than anything else. Stats are not that huge of a deal for us.

Ok so here is what confuses me on Haunt. You say to treat it like Chaos Bolt and the way I usually use CB is try and keep at 3.5 shards and wait for the optimal time to dump 4 of them with all procs and DS (I'll throw a few CBs here and there if I have enough time inbetween recharge of DS or keep me below capping). Now Haunt is a bit different in that it buffs your periodic damage. So are you saying to dump all your shards with Haunt if you get procs and have DS available? Cause then your left with no shards and no buff after Haunt wears off. Are we suppose to be saving shards and leaving off the buff from haunt when DS is on cooldown and no procs are active in prep for the next optimal time to dump again?

Did you even read the guide?

This is explicitly answered in the guild. https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/7248-602-affliction-guide/

If you get a good buff (trinket, Bloodlust/Heroism, potion, etc), Haunt.

If you have Dark Soul up, Haunt.

If you have 3 shards, Haunt.

It's really no more complicated than that. Intelligent usage will come with time when you realize the importance of those 3 things.

You treat it like Chaos Bolt as in you use it with procs and buffs.  You don't EXACTLY use it similarly, obviously, because Burning Embers and Soul Shards are COMPLETELY different.