Mit213

Fire Mages and Frost Armor?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious if this is viable, because the Frost Armor for mages gives 7% spell haste. If a mage is going for a haste benchmark for an extra tick on their dots, wouldn't it just make more sense to gain 2% stats by swapping Molten Armor to Frost Armor, then putting extra points into crit? I mean right now I doubt mages could give up the crit with their gear, but later on when stats are more plentiful it seems like that may be the case.

I don't by any means claim to be an extremely knowledgeable player about all of that stuff, it is just something that came to mind so I was hoping a more experienced/knowledgeable player could explain to me whether or not that would be the case.

Edited by Mit213

Currently I've not seen anything simming haste remotely close to crit. Not even close enough for the 2% extra haste and as the gear goes up crit appears to scale better and better. It's a cool thought and worth keeping bookmarked for future checking for sure.

If you break the % back down into ratings, you get 7% haste = 2975 haste rating.

5% crit = 3000 crit rating.

The short answer is no, crit > haste for Fire.

The long answer is, if you are very close to a haste break point it is usually worth reforging to bump yourself over that break point. However, if you are swapping armours around to get over a break point there are 1 of 2 scenarios:

1) You are close to break point but can't get there by reforging - so you swap armours, then you need to reforge a TONNE of haste back to crit (almost 3k worth) so you are not way over the haste breakpoint - as being way over, is an inefficient spending of stats. Chances are, you don't have the ability to do this on your armour.

2) You are nowhere near a haste breakpoint (>5% away, say), in which case you swap armour. This puts you over the haste breakpoint (and you can reforge back some crit so you aren't well over the breakpoint), however, you just sacrificed say 2k crit into 2k haste to hit a breakpoint. Is that extra breakpoint worth such a large investment in an inferior stat? No. No it is not.

So, the longer answer, is also no. Don't do it. Use molten armour always.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't looked into how much haste and crit it took to get 1% of each, so that explains a lot.

Your best option on breakpoints is simply choosing one that you are comfortable with that doesn't sacrifice enough crit to be a damage loss.

Also, test things for yourself like this to see with your own eyes just how the damage is effected.

I go through about 6k gold a week reforging right now... on average.

~Sage

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• [Silvermoon][A] <Persistence> (9/13M) all players
      By shabbus
      Welcome to <Persistence> gaming community, we are currently recruiting players for our mythic raiding team.
      we are currently recruiting any good players with similar experience 

Our raid times are:
      -wednesday/thursday/monday 19:30-22:30 server time(GMT+1), invites start 19:05
      - heroic raid: sunday 20:00
      Current progress: 
      -Hellfire Citadel: 9/13M, 13/13H, 13/13N 

About us:
      We at persistence are a raiding/social guild with a healthy community and always someone online to play with/talk to. A fun and friendly attitude is very apreciated in our guild and we are all prepared to help each other out if needed.
      Appart from our world of warcraft raiding schedule, we're also planning some ingame events and even some events on other games like: diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, league of legends, brawlhalla and sometimes CS GO.

If you are interested in joining our guild you can find more information/leave an application on our website : <http://http://persistence-wow.enjin.com/>or contact one of our officers ingame:
      GM:Vaessa (PatatoIsLove#21962)
      Off: paradx
      Off: zhorique
      Adv: shabbus (shabbus#2882)
      Adv: gambino
      Adv: blairen

I hope to see you soon at <persistence> gaming community  
    • [Tarren Mill][H] <Time is Money> (13/13M) all roles
      By Pewpewlazors
      General Information

<Time is Money> is a World of Warcraft raiding guild on Tarren Mill that was created at the end of February 2016. The guild was created based on the idea of striving for top world ranks on a very tight schedule. Specifically, our goals are to place among the top 200 world ranks while only maintaining a raid schedule of 2 nights a week. Thus, and as a result of these goals you will find only top quality raiding in the guild, and this is because many of our core members used to be in very reputable guilds  striving for World and European first kills dating back to Vanilla. If you are an exceptional player and can’t make 5-7 day raiding schedules anymore because of real-life commitments or other reasons, this guild may be the perfect fit for you.
      [*] We only raid Monday and Thursday from 19:30 – 23:00 CET (Servertime). Despite our two day raiding schedule, we still consider ourselves a ‘hardcore’ guild due to our approach to the game as well as the effort we put into it and the quality of our raids. [*] We accept alts! You can join us on another char (alt), as long as you play it with the same passion and dedication you would your main, and your main guild’s raids don’t conflict with ours.

What we expect from you: [*] Turn up on time for the agreed schedule, 15 minutes before raid time for invites [*] HIGH ATTENDENCE – since we’re only raiding twice a week it is very important that you show up during the given raid days/hours [*] Make all preparations before the raid, knowing fights + consumables are required [*] Keep focused for the entire duration of the raid [*] Read up on upcoming bosses – stay up to date with the current progress and the encounters. [*] Beeing able to play an offspecc at quite the samel level as main is a plus, since we want to hold our roster tight in legion [*]Able to stream and represent our sponsors is a plus.

What you can expect from us: [*] Mature, Friendly and Social environment [*] Clearing the most current mythic content [*] Enjoyable raid hours [*] Extensive preparation and work from the officer team [*] 2 Sponsorship deals, as soon as we enter Top 400 in Legion

Recruitment

Warlock (HIGH)
      Mage (HIGH)
      Holy Paladin (HIGH)
      Rogue (HIGH)
      Balance Druid (Medium)
      Hunter (Medium)
      Elemental Shaman (Medium)
      Monk//Druid Tank (Low)

Right now we are we are especially looking for the above listed classes, eventho we will consider any application of quality players in order to be prepared for Legion.

Raiding Times:
      Monday 19.30 - 23.00 CET
      Thursday 19.30 - 23.00 CET

You can either go to www.tim-guild.de or add one of our officers to have a chat about recruitment. Applicants that we believe may fit our aims, will be invited to an voice interview where we will give you any information needed.

Teiric#2399
      Mackz#2548
      Benj3#2749
    • [EU-Draenor][H] <Order of the Silverflame> (7/13M) dps & healers
      By Athlios
      Guild Information:
      Guild name: Order of the Silverflame
      Faction: Horde
      Realm: Draenor (EU)
      Realm Type: Normal - PVE
      Level: 25
      Current progress: HFC 13/13HC, 07/13M
      Raid days: Wednesday, Sunday, Monday
      Raid times: 20.00-23.00 CET
      (Full application details on website)

Recruiting:

High:
      - Druid Feral Combat
      - Paladin Retribution
      - Priest Shadow
      Medium:
      - Druid Balance
      - Druid Restoration
      - Hunter
      - Monk Mistweaver
      - Monk Windwalker
      - Priest Disc
      - Shaman Enhancement
      Low:
      - Mage
      - Paladin Holy

We are interested in more classes, but these are our missing spots at the moment.

Order of the Silverflame has been about since vanilla although we had a bit of a break in Burning Crusade. We’re a 25-man raiding guild and we plan to remain that way.
      We are a friendly group who enjoy World of Warcraft and enjoy raiding. We have fun and joke around but when bosses need to go down then all is serious! We expect members of the guild to enjoy the game as much as we do and to take part in raids and maintain a 70-85% attendance per month.
      There are a few things, we highly value above everything else: friendliness and politeness towards guildies and other players and skillfulness when it comes to the more serious parts of the game.

Currently –

We raid 2 nights a week, Wednesdays and Sundays and from 20:00 till 23:00 server time.
      Saturday is left for older content runs for fun and drinking!
      Although we are a 25-man guild, we usually run an extra group, to get the most people raiding, help newer raiders learn the Silverflame’s way to down bosses and gearing up. Usually, these runs happen on Mondays.

Our current progress is 13/13 in Hellfire Citadel in Heroic mode and 07/13 in Mythic Mode.

If you're interested in joining Order of the Silverflame, please fill in our application form, located here, whisper Athliara@Draenor or add my battletag Athlios#2283.

PS. We're always positive to group applications or guild merging discussions.
      Also we're open to social applications and for Legion raiders' applications.
      Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/athlios & http://www.twitch.tv/tyrygoosha
    • [US-Stormrage][A] <Scheme> HFC: 13/13 M, DPS
      By Skellz
      [Alliance] <Scheme> - Stormrage is a Weekend Mythic 20 man guild. 

Past Expansion History
      11/14H (Pre 6.0) 14/14M (Post 6.0) - SoO 2014

(A Large portion of us are 13/13 Mythic HFC on other toons)

Hellfire Citadel
      13/13 Mythic

We are a raiding guild looking for raiders that will be committed and show up to raid!

Our raid schedule
      We raid Friday and Saturday 11-2am EST (Server)
      (8-11pm PST / 9-12am MST / 10-1am CST)

Raids may extend an hour or so past raid call during progression.

Requirements
      735+ ilvl
      Get Valor and Upgrade Your Gear! 
      Have HFC Mythic Experience (We will look at your logs)
      Have legendary ring (Be upgrading every week!)
      Be Raid Aware. Know your surroundings.
      Know your class and Optimal spec per fight
      Be able to take constructive criticism!

---------------------------------------------

Loot System
      Loot Council (RC Loot Council Addon)

Archimonde Mounts will be given out per our Rules regarding Raid Mounts.
      (Attendance, performance and how long you have been in Order/Scheme.) ---------------------------------------------

You can apply at our site http://schemeguild.us or contact people below.

Contacts
      GM: Skéllz - General808#1198
      RL:  Serengeist - Azuregeist#1874
    • [US-Mal'Ganis][H]<Grimoire Raven> all players
      By GabbaPreston
      Hi! Grimoire Raven is a slightly new guild looking to recruit anyone and everyone who is friendly and looking for a family feel from a guild. We would love to build a strong large guild full of people who want to do events, achievements, raiding, pvp, or even just casual play. We are looking for general guild member and would eventually like to recruit some people who we could trust to keep an eye and lead the guild in the case that the current leaders are busy with any average life things.
      Grimoire Raven is a Horde guild on Mal'Ganis server. All of our events, raiding, etc times are based on Mal'Ganis server time. The 3 current leaders have experience in Draenor raiding. 1 has full cleared normal HFC many times and 2 including myself have cleared normal and heroic. We plan on having a no consequence policy for raiding meaning that if you can't make it on a raid day or honestly aren't feeling up to raiding you can take a break or choose to opt out of raid days with no consequence, however you must consider the progression of the guild and how it can affect the guild, but you won't lose gear or anything if you cannot make it.
      At the moment we plan on being a casual and pvp guild aside from small groups working on dungeons and such. Once Legion arrives we would like a strong group to progression raid for the guild along with one or so of our guild masters. Those who dedicate themselves to raiding are responsible for knowing the fights and bringing in their own experience and help for the raids. In other words do not only take from the guild make sure you equally share and allow for others to have the same privileges as yourself.
      Overall I want my guild to flourish with people who are excited for Legion and have a passion for the game! If you would like to join feel free to contact me on WoW or Battlenet for any questions or inquiries about joining. My battletag is GabbaPreston#1398 and you can send any questions to my mailbox under the character name Oridoril on Mal'Ganis. 
      Thank you for any interests and I hope if my guild isn't for you then you find a great guild for yourself!