Mit213

Fire Mages and Frost Armor?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious if this is viable, because the Frost Armor for mages gives 7% spell haste. If a mage is going for a haste benchmark for an extra tick on their dots, wouldn't it just make more sense to gain 2% stats by swapping Molten Armor to Frost Armor, then putting extra points into crit? I mean right now I doubt mages could give up the crit with their gear, but later on when stats are more plentiful it seems like that may be the case.

I don't by any means claim to be an extremely knowledgeable player about all of that stuff, it is just something that came to mind so I was hoping a more experienced/knowledgeable player could explain to me whether or not that would be the case.

Edited by Mit213

Currently I've not seen anything simming haste remotely close to crit. Not even close enough for the 2% extra haste and as the gear goes up crit appears to scale better and better. It's a cool thought and worth keeping bookmarked for future checking for sure.

If you break the % back down into ratings, you get 7% haste = 2975 haste rating.

5% crit = 3000 crit rating.

The short answer is no, crit > haste for Fire.

The long answer is, if you are very close to a haste break point it is usually worth reforging to bump yourself over that break point. However, if you are swapping armours around to get over a break point there are 1 of 2 scenarios:

1) You are close to break point but can't get there by reforging - so you swap armours, then you need to reforge a TONNE of haste back to crit (almost 3k worth) so you are not way over the haste breakpoint - as being way over, is an inefficient spending of stats. Chances are, you don't have the ability to do this on your armour.

2) You are nowhere near a haste breakpoint (>5% away, say), in which case you swap armour. This puts you over the haste breakpoint (and you can reforge back some crit so you aren't well over the breakpoint), however, you just sacrificed say 2k crit into 2k haste to hit a breakpoint. Is that extra breakpoint worth such a large investment in an inferior stat? No. No it is not.

So, the longer answer, is also no. Don't do it. Use molten armour always.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't looked into how much haste and crit it took to get 1% of each, so that explains a lot.

Your best option on breakpoints is simply choosing one that you are comfortable with that doesn't sacrifice enough crit to be a damage loss.

Also, test things for yourself like this to see with your own eyes just how the damage is effected.

I go through about 6k gold a week reforging right now... on average.

~Sage

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Batraaf
      Hello, 
      I was wondering wich mage spec is the best pve spec.
      I've ask a couple of people and in general fire mage is the spec to go they say, but there were also some who said that arcane and frost get some major buffs on the hotfix wednesday, so now I don't know wich spec to choose.
      Can anyone help me with this issue?
    • By rebkah
      Hello, everybody! We're Heralds of Strife, a Horde raiding guild on Wyrmrest Accord. We are looking to pick up more players for Emerald Nightmare progression.
      What We're About

Heralds of Strife is a warm, welcoming community. Our current members range from previous top US 34th raiders to promising newcomers that are hungry to learn and improve. When we are not raiding, we are actively playing many games, from Hearthstone to Overwatch and many others that our guild members have suggested. Heralds of Strife is more than just a raiding guild on World of Warcraft, we are friends who are looking to have fun and get to know each other in our free time. That said, our primary focus will always be to complete the most challenging content that World of Warcraft has to offer during its relevance.

Current Progression
      3/7 Heroic EN
      7/7 Normal EN

Raid Schedule

Main Raid:
      Saturday - 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Monday - 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Optional:
      Tuesday- 6:30 PM-9:30 PM PST (Alt raid, normal/heroic, as needed)

Loot System

We use a Loot Council with defined parameters. This is broken down into several categories:
      Attendance Performance Attitude Biggest Upgrade Recent Wins
      We publicly record attendance and items received (via RCLootCouncil). Our devoted, down-to-earth leadership has the experience and knowledge needed to ensure upgrades are given to the proper players for progression while maintaining a fair, friendly, and entertaining guild atmosphere.

Trial Period

Heralds of Strife is a raiding guild primarily. As such, we do have a trial period for new recruits. With that being said, new raiders will have a 2 week trial period. This trial period begins at the start of the first raid upon joining, and ends on the last raid of the 2nd week.
      The three core principles expected of trials:

Reliability Positivity Adaptability
      Reliability: We expect our trial raiders to show up for raids, on time, and prepared with the basic necessities to do the raid efficiently. We also expect our trials to have some knowledge on encounters, but we are more than willing to help teach and nurture our raiders. Make a commitment with us and we will do our very best to make sure that you're taken care of. We want to get to know you, as you're not just numbers on our spreadsheet. Here in Heralds of Strife,YOU matter.

Positivity: We encourage our trial raiders, and our members, in general, to have a positive attitude, ranging from casual conversation to raid progression. There will be nights where progression might seem rough, but, pushing forward with a positive mindset are one of the keys to success. C'mon team, we can do this!

Adaptability: Our leadership takes the opportunity to analyze our performance logs after each raid night, offering those who are lagging behind some constructive assistance in the long-term goal of improving the player. Our team is only as strong as the player next to us, so we want to work together to overcome any obstacle that may be hindering our performance. Our motto is "iron sharpens iron".

Recruiting

ALL CLASSES

How To Join

Fill out an application @ heralds.wowlaunch.com. If we're interested in your application, we will reach out to you ASAP for a follow-up interview in Discord.

References:

(Battletags)
      Lorvid - Lorvid#1749 (GM)
      Ritticus - Ritticus#1171 (Co-GM)
      Nathanios - JayRinzler#1405 (Officer)
      Effuse - Ignorance#1506 (Officer)
      (Discord)
      Rebkah - Rebkah#1877 (Officer)
    • By Avrielle
      Hands of the Pantheon, Horde ( handsofthepantheon.com )
      Is a casual raiding guild (that still wants to progress in raids) looking for players both old and new to join their ranks. We're looking for people that want to be a part of a friendly and active community. We are big believers in strong social bonds and developing friendships within the guild and doing as much as we can together. We have a very full calendar dipping into just about everything WOW has to offer and then some. 
      We have a dedicated and experienced officer team who look out to make sure people have plenty to do and are always ready to lend a hand.
      Like guild social events?we got you covered, we run events such as mini guild games (who doesn't love naked races through the forest or hide and seek in Dalaran?) and even games outside of WOW (overwatch, hearthstone and a not so known gem, tabletop simulator! it is amazing and everyone should know about it!) 
      Like PVP? we got that covered too :D were looking into PVP events (WWE style Gurubashi arena "king of the ring") and casual bg's to start and already we are building up a team/core group for running proper RBGs and arena and there are still places available.
      Want raiding in a positive environment with friends? Great! that's what we want too, we want a positive raiding experience so were running casual/ semi hardcore raiding that still offers progression with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.  
      There's usually a bunch of us on team-speak each night so you're more than welcome to come join us and we have our own website (the GM is web guru so it's unique and just for us) with forums and a chat room *coming soon*, where guild members can hang out and chat out of game. We have forum games and competitions on there too. Everyone in guild is encouraged to use the site as often as possible and we do ask all new members to make sure they're signed up to our forums as all the guild news is on there. We also have a new Facebook group as previously it was a page and groups are more accessible for all members.
      TLDR: (if you did read through all that well done lol) Think that we might be the guild for you? Great, head over to http://www.handsofthepantheon.com and come introduce yourself or come speak to us in game or on the facebook group.
      Officers to look out for are;
      Kaizul (Kalodia#2493)
      Avrielle (shiandi#2367)
      Thradoom
      and Wakkamon
      Thanks for reading and happy gaming guys and gals
    • By Sibelius
      BattleNet Profile
      Looking for some help; was sent here by Blaine.
      I'm at IL 851, 48% crit, 22% mastery. My overall DPS is hanging around 150k to 190k in Mythic+ and The Emerald Nightmare. I'm sure my burst rotation is solid (most the time), but after that I seem to struggle, and I'm hoping for some help, so I can pull about 50k more DPS.
      *Edit: Added better log below.
      Hoping someone can analyze and maybe find some things I'm not doing correctly, so I can work on it.
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 2/7 Heroic Emerald Nightmare
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      <Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented heroic and eventually mythic guild!
      We are currently looking for most classes and roles, range damage (mage especially). Melee damage slot competitive, apply anyway.
      Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Mumble for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our private Mumble is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614