Fire Mages and Frost Armor?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious if this is viable, because the Frost Armor for mages gives 7% spell haste. If a mage is going for a haste benchmark for an extra tick on their dots, wouldn't it just make more sense to gain 2% stats by swapping Molten Armor to Frost Armor, then putting extra points into crit? I mean right now I doubt mages could give up the crit with their gear, but later on when stats are more plentiful it seems like that may be the case.

I don't by any means claim to be an extremely knowledgeable player about all of that stuff, it is just something that came to mind so I was hoping a more experienced/knowledgeable player could explain to me whether or not that would be the case.

Edited by Mit213

Currently I've not seen anything simming haste remotely close to crit. Not even close enough for the 2% extra haste and as the gear goes up crit appears to scale better and better. It's a cool thought and worth keeping bookmarked for future checking for sure.

If you break the % back down into ratings, you get 7% haste = 2975 haste rating.

5% crit = 3000 crit rating.

The short answer is no, crit > haste for Fire.

The long answer is, if you are very close to a haste break point it is usually worth reforging to bump yourself over that break point. However, if you are swapping armours around to get over a break point there are 1 of 2 scenarios:

1) You are close to break point but can't get there by reforging - so you swap armours, then you need to reforge a TONNE of haste back to crit (almost 3k worth) so you are not way over the haste breakpoint - as being way over, is an inefficient spending of stats. Chances are, you don't have the ability to do this on your armour.

2) You are nowhere near a haste breakpoint (>5% away, say), in which case you swap armour. This puts you over the haste breakpoint (and you can reforge back some crit so you aren't well over the breakpoint), however, you just sacrificed say 2k crit into 2k haste to hit a breakpoint. Is that extra breakpoint worth such a large investment in an inferior stat? No. No it is not.

So, the longer answer, is also no. Don't do it. Use molten armour always.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't looked into how much haste and crit it took to get 1% of each, so that explains a lot.

Your best option on breakpoints is simply choosing one that you are comfortable with that doesn't sacrifice enough crit to be a damage loss.

Also, test things for yourself like this to see with your own eyes just how the damage is effected.

I go through about 6k gold a week reforging right now... on average.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ayazura
      Aberration is back after a long break and are hyped as never before for the release of Legion!
      We are now reforming our team with long raiding experiences.
      We are currently looking for skilled players who want to join a Semi hardcore raid environment with a focus on progress with limited days(Three days a week) Raid times are 19.30 to 23.00.
      If you are who we are looking for, please contact saso#2168 or visit the website here
    • By Semifreddo
      Raiding guild looking for more raiders! We have a particular need of ranged DPS and a healer or two. Melee DPS are more than welcome if they have a tank off-specc. That helps with Mythic+ runs, if we have several tanks and groups going at the same time.

Progression: 7/7N, 1/7H

Raid Schedule: 20:00 Saturday and Sunday Server Time

Communication: Discord Channel

Interest: Message me on (Semifreddo#2224), or respond to this post with what class and specc you play.
    • By Ackthal
      <Elite> Kel'thuzad (Alliance, US)

Recruiting ranged DPS and healers (855+) for our core heroic raid team. Raid times are Wed/Sun 7:30pm-11:00pm MST. We have plans to push mythic raid content once we have our raid team filled. Also recruiting all skilled players interested in Mythic+ dungeons. Please join our recruitment channel in Discord (, reply to this post, or contact Khryseiss, Snodobaggins, Ackthal, or Unumalum in-game.

<Elite> is an inaugural guild forming the foundation of what is to become an amazing online gaming community. Founding members consist of real life friends and family. We are bringing together our time, resources, skill-sets, and past gaming experiences with the goal of creating a unique environment where people can connect with others who are highly skilled, level-headed, friendly, and fun to be around. Our core membership consists of players with past Mythic/Old Heroic raiding and Gold Challenge Mode experience, as well as many other high-end gaming experiences in other game titles.

We are growing at a fast pace with an increasing pool of players that are focused on Mythic+ content and raiding. We are looking for like-minded people who take the game seriously enough to put in the effort for progression, but at the same time realize that real life, friendships, community, and having fun are more important than clearing content and obtaining gear. Having a sensible demeanor and good attitude is a must. New PVE opportunities are on the horizon, including legacy raiding for achievements/mounts. Please contact us if you are interested. Thank you!
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 2/7 Mythic Emerald Nightmare
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      <Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented heroic and eventually mythic guild!
      We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Tank: Highly experienced/Know fights/Willing to communicate/Good attitude
      Healer: Holy Paladin, HIGH DEMAND!
      Range damage: High demand.
      Melee damage: Slots competitive, apply anyway.
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our private Mumble is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By KingChort
      <Toontown Refugees> (A, 7/7H) is a tight-knit guild looking to fill our Mythic roster. We're looking for a few motivated and skilled healers (preferably resto druids, mistweaver monks and both priest healers but considering others) and some DPS (particularly a warlock and a shadow priest, but all others welcome) to fill out our roster, ilevel 850 and above. Our core players are longtime raiders, with a few of us having full Mythic clears of earlier expansion tiers. Most of us have been playing since BC, and we're looking to grow!
      We raid Sunday from 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM (EST) and Monday from 8:15 to 12:00. All of us are adults and most of us have full-time jobs or classes, so we don't expect people to commit too much out-of-raid time for excessive preparation, but we do expect all raiders to bring their own flasks, food and augment runes each night. We take the time we are raiding seriously, and want recruits who can stay focused on the task at hand and know how to perform well at their spec and role, so as to respect their fellow raiders' time. However, it is a video game in the end, and we try to keep fun in sight as we progress.
      In addition, we have plenty of members who do keystones, PVP and achievement runs on a regular basis. We've got a dedicated Discord server and enough people (both progression raiders and more casual players) to always find a group for any activity you could think of.
      If you're interested or want more information, post here, or contact me via at KingCohort#1123 for a chat. Thanks for reading!