Mit213

Fire Mages and Frost Armor?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious if this is viable, because the Frost Armor for mages gives 7% spell haste. If a mage is going for a haste benchmark for an extra tick on their dots, wouldn't it just make more sense to gain 2% stats by swapping Molten Armor to Frost Armor, then putting extra points into crit? I mean right now I doubt mages could give up the crit with their gear, but later on when stats are more plentiful it seems like that may be the case.

I don't by any means claim to be an extremely knowledgeable player about all of that stuff, it is just something that came to mind so I was hoping a more experienced/knowledgeable player could explain to me whether or not that would be the case.

Edited by Mit213

Currently I've not seen anything simming haste remotely close to crit. Not even close enough for the 2% extra haste and as the gear goes up crit appears to scale better and better. It's a cool thought and worth keeping bookmarked for future checking for sure.

If you break the % back down into ratings, you get 7% haste = 2975 haste rating.

5% crit = 3000 crit rating.

The short answer is no, crit > haste for Fire.

The long answer is, if you are very close to a haste break point it is usually worth reforging to bump yourself over that break point. However, if you are swapping armours around to get over a break point there are 1 of 2 scenarios:

1) You are close to break point but can't get there by reforging - so you swap armours, then you need to reforge a TONNE of haste back to crit (almost 3k worth) so you are not way over the haste breakpoint - as being way over, is an inefficient spending of stats. Chances are, you don't have the ability to do this on your armour.

2) You are nowhere near a haste breakpoint (>5% away, say), in which case you swap armour. This puts you over the haste breakpoint (and you can reforge back some crit so you aren't well over the breakpoint), however, you just sacrificed say 2k crit into 2k haste to hit a breakpoint. Is that extra breakpoint worth such a large investment in an inferior stat? No. No it is not.

So, the longer answer, is also no. Don't do it. Use molten armour always.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't looked into how much haste and crit it took to get 1% of each, so that explains a lot.

Your best option on breakpoints is simply choosing one that you are comfortable with that doesn't sacrifice enough crit to be a damage loss.

Also, test things for yourself like this to see with your own eyes just how the damage is effected.

I go through about 6k gold a week reforging right now... on average.

~Sage

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Vizixi
      Lithium is a friendly guild on Stormrage looking to recruit ranged dps and a Paladin Healer. Preferably Hunters, Warlocks and Mages, as well as a few others, for Legion. We raid Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from 9:00pm to 11:30pm Pst. We use Mumble.
      Contact Ajiamoderu#1627 For an invite or more info.
    • By zent7
      <Hellbøund> (Stormrage-US Alliance) a 2 nights a week raiding guild (13/13 Mythic HFC leadership) are currently recruiting progression minded, skillful, and committed raiders for our core legion raid team. Come help start something great as we are in the process of rebuilding after a long hiatus at the end of WOD
      Raid Times:
      • 9pm-12pm (mst). Tues/Wednesday
      • An A.M. raid schedule is pending for a second weekend team
      Current Needs: High: Ranged DPS Full: DH Dps
      All exceptional players however are encouraged to seek further information if you think we might be a good home for you.
      Raid Requirements:
      -A good attitude, and willingness to learn from mistakes
      -The ability to educate yourself on fights/ mechanics as well as a solid understanding of your class
      -Reliability
      -Mic/headset
      -Teamspeak 3 client
      add-ons: • Angry Assignments • Deadly Boss Mods(DBM) • Decursive • Exorsus Raid Tools • RCLootcouncil
      BattleTag: epos#1436 Zented#1163
      Come trial with us Tomorrow Tuesday August 23rd at HHFC for a feel of the guild and a chance for us to meet you.
    • By Avanti
      Hello everyone!
      We are currently recruiting all classes for Legion! As of now, we are accepting all apps who are cool, show enthusiasm for the content, know their class, and are age 18+. We will become more strict on our recruitment once we start raiding 20m content. To finish the application process after submitting on the website, please log in to our discord ( listed below ) Come join us! 

FAQ:

Who Are We?
      We are a group of returning WoW veterans planning to hit Legion hard. Our officer core are experienced gamers who have been playing since Vanilla WoW. We have led guilds in the past and we understand how to run one properly; without taking the fun out of it.

What is <QQ>?
      QQ is a US based guild of like minded individuals who are skilled gamers and enjoy having fun while aggressively clearing raid content and holding a few PvP events and giveaways on the side (optional). We love having fun and we love to win! We have a guild website. Please register on the website if you plan on raiding/playing with us. You can register here.

What are your raid times?
      Our raid times are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (optional Mon) at 8:30pm-11:30pm PST 
      Raid invites will go out 15 mins prior to raid be on and ready to pull on time.

Do you have a VOIP?
      We use Discord. Join us on discord if you have more questions, want to join, or just want to hang out! Check the "Shoutbox" for an invite.

Roster: We will have a roster of 24 people and wish to stay around that number. We understand real life RNG occurs.

Loot: We use a loot council system to evenly distribute loot among our raid.
      Classes:
      Ret Paladin
      DPS Warrior
      ALL Range DPS bias towards Mages, Warlocks, and Shadow Priests.
      One Resto Druid or Resto Shammy

What We Expect:
      You have done what you can to min/max your character.
      You are confident in your abilities to play your class, and can take constructive criticism.
      You are aware of and can move from hazardous encounter mechanics, with little negative effect on your dps/healing/etc.
      You are searching for a long term guild to progress into future tiers with.

With all of that said, come check us out and join up today! Don't forget to check out our website at http://www.qqwow.shivtr.com !

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact any one of us.
      Avanti#11824
      Zerowbe#1204
      Pittu16#11172
    • By Zero91
      Guild Name: Widows Whale
      Faction: Horde
      Realm (US/EU): US
      Realm Type: PVP
      Realm Timezone: +10 GMT
      Raid Times: 6pm - 10pm
      Raid Schedule: Thursday and Sunday
      Openings: For all classes and roles