FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
hallowberry

agility as a useful stat

Hello my question stems form the starting areas all the way up leveling. When we all start as dk's agility is a stat that is built into the gear set. As I see it when equipping gear that has agi. on it my health and crit are actually better. I do get some criticism when my gear set is viewed. But my dps is usually as high as anyone elses in the 5 man. Is this still a usable stat to get but not necessarily stack?

As a Death Knight, Agility is for all intents and purposes a useless stat. All it does is grant you a tiny increase in chance to score critical strikes (and I do mean tiny). So, there is never ever (ever!) a time to prefer an item with Agility over one with Strength.

All items in the game (with a few outlandish exceptions) have two primary stats, and two secondary stats. One of the primary stats is always Stamina, and the second is either Strength, Agility, or Intellect. For this reason, even if you equip an item with Agility, you will still notice a change in your health (affected by your Stamina). The secondary stats are either Critical Strike Rating, Haste Rating, Mastery Rating or Spirit, so again, you can equip an item with Agility and Critical Strike Rating, which would greatly boost your critical strike chance - although this is largely unrelated to the Agility on the item.

If someone is criticizing you for using Agility gear at maximum level (90 in this case), they are correct. You should be using Strength gear at all times. That said, while leveling up, questing gear often has weird itemizations, and your DPS is affected far more by your usage of abilities (and by your level) than by your stats :)

• Like 1

Questing gear is weird because when they first came out they might have had SOME use for the stat during that time (warriors with leather agi in vanilla, feral druids with strength weapons)

Blazzard has (since Cata at least I think) has tried to make each class use specific stats and the others less desirable.

• Like 1

In Classic, there was no such stat as Crit. If a DPS benefitted from critical strike chance more than attack power, they would wear gear with Agility on it. Hence, why you see Agility on plate in Classic zones, as this was a useful stat for plate-wearing DPS and Paladin healers at the time. This use was deprecated years ago, and your main stat now gives you both attack/spell power and increased critical chance.

The only armor you should be rolling on as a Death Knight is Strength-based plate.

Edited by Tarazet
  • Like 2

Questing gear is weird because when they first came out they might have had SOME use for the stat during that time (warriors with leather agi in vanilla, feral druids with strength weapons)

Blazzard has (since Cata at least I think) has tried to make each class use specific stats and the others less desirable.

I think their gear was pretty much "perfectly" itemized since Wrath of the Lich King.

• Like 1