FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Throne of Thunder Elemental Shaman Style

This thread is meant to collect useful pieces of information for Elemental Shamans attempting bosses in the Throne of Thunder. We will add some contributions ourselves and hope that the rest will come from comments in this thread smile.png

Some general notes:

Table of Contents

Jin'rokh the Breaker

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

Links:

Horridon

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Using spell_fire_elementaldevastation.jpgAscendance immediately allows it to be up on the second gate (Gurubashi). The improvements to Lava Beam help out tremendously on this one in order to get all the adds (namely the priests) dead.
  • Heroic: Using Flame Shock on the pink dinosaurs and getting Searing Totem to target it will keep it knocked back nicely.
  • Heroic: Alternatively, use a targeting macro and spell_nature_purge.jpgPurge to save on the Global Cooldown.

Links:

Council of Elders

Useful talents: share your thoughts!
Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• Use spell_nature_shamanrage.jpgShamanistic Rage (glyphed) to remove ability_rogue_trip.jpgEntrapped if you find your healers cant spare mana or time to dispel you if you get trapped.
  • Use spell_nature_groundingtotem.jpgGrounding Totem when Kazra'jin is empowered to help reflect some of the damage he is reflecting at you.

Links:

Tortos

Useful glyphs: share your thoughts!

Tips and Tricks:
  • Consider asking your Raid Leader to assign you to the bats rather than the Whirl Turtles. Elemental Shaman have some problems dealing with the Turtles, but if you have to DPS them try using shaman_talent_elementalblast.jpgElemental Blast.
  • You can hit the Whirl Turtles with spell_nature_chainlightning.jpgChain Lightning when they have just appeared under the boss for some extra cleave damage.

Links:

Megaera

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

Links:

Ji-Kun

Tips and Tricks:
  • With some practice, you can delay jumping down to a platform in order to gain the feed buff.

Links:

Durumu the Forgotten

Useful talents:

Useful glyphs:

Tips and Tricks:

• With practice, shaman_talent_elementalblast.jpgElemental Blast can be used easily on cooldown despite the high movement requirement in this fight.
  • Heroic: You can use spell_fire_elementaldevastation.jpgAscendance right off the pull and it will be ready for the first Ice Walls phase.
  • Heroic: targeting the ice walls close to Durumu will chain your spell_nature_chainlightning.jpgChain Lightning to multiple Ice Walls.
  • Using Ascendance straight off the pull is usually sensible anyway. Many guilds Heroism/Bloodlust immediately.

Links:

Primordius

Useful talents:

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Dark Animus

Tips and Tricks:
  • Use spell_fire_elementaldevastation.jpgAscendance straight away if possible for the extra AoE.
  • Remember that your elemental totems might not be reliable on this fight due to the high number of adds.

Links:

Iron Qon

Useful talents:

Tips and Tricks:

Links:

Twin Consorts

Useful talents:

Tips and Tricks: share your thoughts!

Links:

Lei Shen

Useful talents:

Tips and Tricks:

• Blow all your cooldowns on the pull and they will be up again just after the first transition phase, where you can use them again to nuke down the adds.
  • Use ability_shaman_healingtide.jpgHealing Tide Totem to keep your group up during the transition phase.

Links:

Changelog

• 28 Mar. 2013: Added Porcring's tips for Horridon.
  • 18 Mar. 2013: Added tips and glyph options for CoE from Sizzi and Splondir.
  • 28 May. 2013: Added tips and talent options for Platex, Chicos, chevymonster, and Ionstorm.

On Horridon, I found it useful to postpone popping Ascendance until the second gate (Gurubashi). The improvements to Lava Beam help out tremendously on this one in order to get all the adds (namely the priests) dead.

Glyph of Chain Lightning as well during this fight. Glyph of Shamanistic Rage helps to remove the Stone Gaze from the Farraki to help out dispellers.

On Horridon, I found it useful to postpone popping Ascendance until the second gate (Gurubashi). The improvements to Lava Beam help out tremendously on this one in order to get all the adds (namely the priests) dead.

Glyph of Chain Lightning as well during this fight. Glyph of Shamanistic Rage helps to remove the Stone Gaze from the Farraki to help out dispellers.

Thanks, all added!

* On Jin'Rohk, save cooldowns until the tank gets thrown around the 40 second mark. Don't stand where he gets thrown before it happens, you will get stunned when the tank lands. Heroism the first pool, it's up to you whether or not to prepot, since it won't be up for your first Ascendance/Hero and you want to use Ascendance ASAP for uptime on the 3rd pool. Not sure which is better, although I would presume being able to use it twice during the fight is an advantage over potting during Heroism, especially if you're taking Elemental Mastery.

* (Presuming HC mode) due to movement and burst phases, Elemental Mastery and PE are the best choice.

* Use Shamanistic Rage glyph so you can dispel your own Ionisation outside of the raid/pool. Be aware that the 15% damage reduction on Rage is not active when you take the dispel damage -- therefore, make sure you call for a Disc Priest shield or have Stone Bulwark up, because you WILL get one-shot otherwise.

* Horridon tip is misleading, you don't postpone Ascendance at all. You should pop it on the pull, and it will be up for the 2nd gate when you get the 2-3 Venom Priests and Dinomancer spawn = most optimal time for Lava Beam spam.

* Due to the amount of movement on Horridon, I wouldn't advise taking Elemental Blast, uptime will be low.

* Instead it's beneficial to use Elemental Mastery for bursting the adds regularly, together with Primal Elementalist.

* Tortos HC, we are HORRIBLE on turtles. It's a boomkin/mage/spriest/destro lock fight. Have your raid leader put you on the bats, you're basically useless otherwise. Elemental Blast helps, but it's not enough. Try and get off a CL or two as they spawn since they're stacked under the boss.

* On Ji-Kun, it's possible to delay flying/dropping to the platforms when they activate by up to 10 seconds, so you can use your feather to collect the Feed Young buff with uptime on the platform, = more burst and higher DPS. Experience is needed to understand when the timing of the abilities allows you to do this.

* Durumu - Whilst there is a lot of movement on this fight, you can still easily use Elemental Blast without delaying the cast.

* Dark Animus - Try to use Ascendance on the pull if possible, dependant on tactics used, however the Elemental is a total dumbass on this fight and 99% of the time will attack the nearest random target -- be aware.

* Iron Qon - Tranq totem is potentially more useful than Guidance in this fight due to the Tornadoes phase and movement.

* Twin Consorts - I would probably advise using PE and Ele Mastery in low gear levels on this fight, since if the knockbacks land on a EB hardcast it will result in a DPS loss... it's a minor thing, but over the course of the fight, with the small movements from sleep clouds, comets etc the general player will find it incredibly difficult to maintain perfect uptime on EB.

* Lei Shen - Elemental Mastery and PE are king here, use on pull and they will come back up as you exit the first transition for full HAM nuking the lightning orb adds. You should be able to get off 3-4 Lava Beams on them, dependant on how fast your raid are at stacking on the boss for the 2nd bounce.

* Take Tranq Totem incase you have to emergency-heal your pillar team during the transition (when you can't deal damage).

Hope that helps someone.

http://eu.battle.net...Platex/advanced

Edited by Platex
  • Like 2

About Megaera as Ele Shaman i would suggest to spec into ability_shaman_fortifyingwaters.jpgConductivity so you can use Healing Rain during Rampage to help healers and still dps the head (i was doing 30k+ hps while stacked).

I also would glyph with spell_fire_elemental_totem.jpgGlyph of Fire Elemental Totem and spec into spell_nature_wispheal.jpgElemental Mastery for more burst damage.

Last, spell_nature_natureguardian.jpgNature's Guardian will greatly improve your survivability.

• Like 1

For Heroic Horridon I have had some luck putting my Flame Shock on the Pink Dino and throwing Searing Totem down and it doing it's job on keeping it pushed back. You just have to remember that can be the only thing Flame shocked or you will have to just macro target it.

Last door use your grounding totem on CD.

Edited by chevymonster
  • Like 1

Kinda' silly to save Ascendance for 2nd gate, for heroic atleast.

Heroic mode pop on pull and by the 2nd gate when theres more venom priests etc ascendance and ancestral away for ezmode healing.

• Like 1

My apologies for the long time between updates - I was unaware that there were so many tips here. It has now been fully updated with the provided tips. Likes for everyone!

Heroic Durumu:

PE- glyphed (Having the short burst is great for this fight).  I also did unglyphed and you can use fire ele at start then at the 30% mark.

EoE- CL glyph

Pop ascendance off the bat. (we pop hero on pull)

First wall of ice: ascendance will come up right as they spawn, pop ascendance target a wall node right next to durumu.  (so you can chain all three walls at once). 

Next wall ascendance will not be up, but will be up for the wall after that. 

Since the first wall is with the beam I also save AS to cast and move. And you can use AS for each wall phase after that.

Heroic Horridon: If you don't want to rely on using a shock to keep the dino back because of the global cooldown on the spell you can use your target macro with purge.

Heroic Tortos: Same thing applies here.  Use your target macro with purge.

It costs a bit more mana than a shock but with the natural mana regen and thunderstorm using this spell as elemental is no issue.

Heroic Jin'rokh:

Glyph Shamanistic Rage to cleanse yourself out of the pool.  Reduces the amount of time you have to stay out and wait for a cleanse from a healer. 

You can use your Earth Ele to reinforce you on a lightning ball phase.

*edited.  Wrote it at 3am and had a husband forcing me to hurry up to bed.  My apologies!

Edited by chevymonster

Glyph your elementals and you can use your Earth Ele to reinforce you on the lightning ball phases. (Our kill takes about 3 minutes, so I get to use it once) but if you are just not working on it or it takes longer and you have issues with that phase you could get two uses.

This is misguided I think. Glyphing only works for Fire Elemental AFAIK.

EDIT: Also, Shamanistic Rage is only applicable to Enhancement (this is the Elemental thread! D'oh!) smile.png I haven't played Elemental since the start of Cataclysm, I didn't realise that Elemental had got Shamanistic Rage too! I'll add it in.

the elemental glyph only affects the fire elemental. it isnt a dps increase or decrease, it just lets you use fire ele more often. fight time and buffs really affect the choice to glyph with this one. if you glyph it on jinrock and pick elemental mastery you can align cooldowns so fire ele gets full use of hero and then full use of EM just before the fight is over. i believe fire ele is continuously dependent on your buffs so you dont have to worry about prepopping everything before setting down the fire ele totem.

Edited by kitsu